BLEACHER REPORT: Iowa Football Needs to Start Thinking About Replacements for Kirk

Re: BLEACHER REPORT: Iowa Football Needs to Start Thinking About Replacements for Kir

I was at that Indiana game in 2006, and I thought the writer summed up my feelings that day, and the rest of the season.

The soonest Kirk would be forced out, is at the end of the 2014 season.
He'll have a returning QB and a soft schedule, although we had the same thing in 2012.

Trust me, I'd like to see KF turn it around and start winning big again, but my biggest fear is that in 2014, KF somehow manages to win 9 games or something, gets an extension, and then we go back to the garbage we've been getting the last few years, and we continue to be trapped by an albatross of a contract.

Re: BLEACHER REPORT: Iowa Football Needs to Start Thinking About Replacements for Kir

Trust me, I'd like to see KF turn it around and start winning big again, but my biggest fear is that in 2014, KF somehow manages to win 9 games or something, gets an extension, and then we go back to the garbage we've been getting the last few years, and we continue to be trapped by an albatross of a contract.

He isn't getting another extension as his contract is through 2020 now, and he would be 65 then. He isn't going to coach after 2020 unless he has a loaded team that next season. Even then, he would end 7-5 anyway.

So the pattern of coaching incompetence and seven game losing streak can be forgiven and/or ignored because Bleacher Report stinks?

That's exactly what I was thinking. If you don't to believe BR, then look at what some of the state and national writers are saying. It's very similar. It simply does amaze me at how kf defender happy most hawk fans still are. Gee.

FreedComanche

Looks like that will happen. He's only got to win 7 games and go to a bowl to satisfy most hawk fans. I see that easily happening in 14. Could be wrong, though. I picked them to go 10-2 in 2010.

FreedComanche

That's exactly what I was thinking. If you don't to believe BR, then look at what some of the state and national writers are saying. It's very similar. It simply does amaze me at how kf defender happy most hawk fans still are. Gee.

FreedComanche
I don't need a writer to tell me what to think. I especially don't need some unpaid, numbskull blogger with a barely lucid thought process to tell me what to think.

I don't think I saw anyone defending KF, just slamming on BR. It makes no logical sense that dismissing a BR article somehow insinuates you support one thing or another.

I don't need a writer to tell me what to think. I especially don't need some unpaid, numbskull blogger with a barely lucid thought process to tell me what to think.

I don't think I saw anyone defending KF, just slamming on BR. It makes no logical sense that dismissing a BR article somehow insinuates you support one thing or another.

But the BR article (opinion piece, actually) contained no errors of fact and took a position shared by many on this board and HawkeyeInsider, so why dismiss it at all?

Why would you be mad at anybody that would say that about kf?

FreedComanche

FESS UP!!!! You all have read articles on BR.

They might have a lot of crap but some of the articles make an entertaining read.

I honestly find myself on the site by accident from time to time. Search engine optimization sucks.

And I'm sure they sometimes have something worth reading. But I'm not willing to sift through all the crap to find it.

FreedComanche

But the BR article (opinion piece, actually) contained no errors of fact and took a position shared by many on this board and HawkeyeInsider, so why dismiss it at all?

For the same reason that we dismiss each others' opinions on message boards all the time. They mean nothing because they come from non-credible sources. Bleacher Report is a garbage site whose only purpose is to make money. For all any of us knows, the person who actually wrote that "article" IS a poster on this or another Hawkeye message board. That's how little credibility that site has. They'll take almost anyone; you don't need any kind of training, experience or even talent. It's just water cooler talk.

You could just as well say your argument is sound because Freed agrees with you.

Also, Freed: If there are credible sources out there saying the same thing, then there's no reason to use BR in the first place.

Amen, Tubahawk. What's wrong with people that they are willing to take joy in beating someone only a bully would even think about playing? Shameful times in Iowa City.

For the same reason that we dismiss each others' opinions on message boards all the time. They mean nothing because they come from non-credible sources. Bleacher Report is a garbage site whose only purpose is to make money. For all any of us knows, the person who actually wrote that "article" IS a poster on this or another Hawkeye message board. That's how little credibility that site has. They'll take almost anyone; you don't need any kind of training, experience or even talent. It's just water cooler talk.

You could just as well say your argument is sound because Freed agrees with you.

Also, Freed: If there are credible sources out there saying the same thing, then there's no reason to use BR in the first place.

So you're anti-Capitalism? You're a strange one, Mr. Grinch.

I'm really glad Jon Miller does all this work here on HN with absolutely no profit motive whatsoever.

Do you work for nothing, tm3308? Just wondering, based on this revelation.

[video=youtube;dMwGsBnx13M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMwGsBnx13M[/video]

So you're anti-Capitalism? You're a strange one, Mr. Grinch.

I'm really glad Jon Miller does all this work here on HN with absolutely no profit motive whatsoever.

Do you work for nothing, tm3308? Just wondering, based on this revelation.

Bleacher Report has a policy. Their writers are not to break news, and their goal is not to actually provide anything of value to their readers. Their goal is to create page hits. Those stupid slideshows that any idiot could construct create a ton of page views because each time you move onto the next slide, that's another page view. It generates a ton of revenue in advertising. Brilliant business strategy, but not anywhere near being a credible source on anything.

You didn't answer any of my questions, tm3308.

Also: link?

You didn't answer any of my questions, tm3308.

Also: link?

I'm not anti-capitalist, and I don't work for free. But BR has no real interest in providing thoughtful content. Their only concern is generating page hits with garbage content like "Top 10 most overrated players in the NFL". Again, their writers are not journalists. They're fans who post the kind of crap that any 12 year old could muster. It makes money, but that doesn't mean it isn't crap.

I'll back off saying it's their policy, but it's what they do. They don't ever break news. "The unsophisticated sports fan clicks on the story and it validates what he thinks. The sophisticated sports fan is so angry at the dumb headline, he can't help but hate-click it."

Top 5 Ways Bleacher Report Rules the World! - Page 1 - News - San Francisco - SF Weekly

Bleacher Report isn't what it used to be. It's not just fans making slideshows anymore, there are people getting paid serious money and it's not for poorly written articles.

Bleacher Report isn't what it used to be. It's not just fans making slideshows anymore, there are people getting paid serious money and it's not for poorly written articles.

It's a handful of actual writers. The bulk of their content is still produced by the unpaid (or very low-paid) average Joes, and that's exactly the type of writer that the author of this story is. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the author is an Iowa fan using his "job" as a platform.

I'm not anti-capitalist, and I don't work for free. But BR has no real interest in providing thoughtful content. Their only concern is generating page hits with garbage content like "Top 10 most overrated players in the NFL". Again, their writers are not journalists. They're fans who post the kind of crap that any 12 year old could muster. It makes money, but that doesn't mean it isn't crap.

I'll back off saying it's their policy, but it's what they do. They don't ever break news. "The unsophisticated sports fan clicks on the story and it validates what he thinks. The sophisticated sports fan is so angry at the dumb headline, he can't help but hate-click it."

Top 5 Ways Bleacher Report Rules the World! - Page 1 - News - San Francisco - SF Weekly

Ah, I see. You're an altruist, a journalistic purist. Old school!

Next time the one smart person in your life tells you that there is no nobility in poverty, you should listen.

Ah, I see. You're an altruist, a journalistic purist. Old school!

Next time the one smart person in your life tells you that there is no nobility in poverty, you should listen.

I'm fine with somebody making money. Sports Illustrated rakes it in, too. But they do it with legitimate journalism. Bleacher Report isn't designed to do anything but generate page views, and the majority of the people involved who make significant money are the owners/upper management. I may not make much, but I'd guarantee I make more from my work than the writer of this article does for his.

I'm fine with somebody making money. Sports Illustrated rakes it in, too. But they do it with legitimate journalism. Bleacher Report isn't designed to do anything but generate page views, and the majority of the people involved who make significant money are the owners/upper management. I may not make much, but I'd guarantee I make more from my work than the writer of this article does for his.

If you say so, Rick Reilly.

Latest posts