Blaming the Referees

That's pretty much what happened. Anyone with any basketball knowledge could see that officiating was one-sided. That being said, all we had to do at the end was make a couple of free throws and we win. No excuse for that crap.
I didn't get a chance to watch any of the game. Just looking at the box score and this sticks out to me.

Iowa shot the ball 69 times and went to the line 21 times.
ISU shot the ball 59 times and went to the line 36 times.

10 less shot attempts and 15 more free throws.

Again, didn't watch 1 second of the game, but that just seems like an odd stat.
Only way this makes sense is if they called a lot of touch fouls on Iowa and ISU was in the bonus for the entire game.

Hawks can't blame the loss on refs but I will say that controversy is not a good thing to have attached to your name if you're a referee. The fella under the basket, Mike Sanzere, has had his share of controversy over the years.

Tough loss.....credit ISU for hanging tough and finishing. Hawks will be fine.

Unless one team is having to foul to try to get the ball back, fouls should more or less even out over the course of 40 minutes. Won't be exactly even but should be close. Not like that. The floor seemed tipped one way last night looking at those numbers don't you think?

Hilton Magic my ***.

I hope Iowa gets another shot at you in the tournament. The better team did not win last night.
Obvious is rather obvious to you and I, but not so obvious to some people.

While I do not blame the refs for the loss, I find it terribly ironic that ISU fans lecture another fan base about NOT blaming the refs. I mean seriously go to CF, and they still count the Kansas loss as a win, and they feel the same about the Ohio St. game.

If the FT shooting stats were reversed, ISU fans burn Hilton to the ground last night. I will not accept a freaking lecture from that fan base when all they do is cry about officiating/refing. Especially when most Hawk fans are blaming their own players choking, not the refs.

Agreed. ISU fans have become quite adept at playing the victim card.

While I do not blame the refs for the loss, I find it terribly ironic that ISU fans lecture another fan base about NOT blaming the refs. I mean seriously go to CF, and they still count the Kansas loss as a win, and they feel the same about the Ohio St. game.

If the FT shooting stats were reversed, ISU fans burn Hilton to the ground last night. I will not accept a freaking lecture from that fan base when all they do is cry about officiating/refing. Especially when most Hawk fans are blaming their own players choking, not the refs.

Sorry, however blaming the refs is an Iowa tradition. It's a well-known stereotype that Iowa never loses a game--it's always due to the refs, the other team's superbowl, or Iowa had an injury. Are you forgetting the 2000 KF football years and the Alford years?

The difference with ISU and those games you cited, the national media and every other non-rival fanbase piled on those terrible calls.

In Iowa's case, it's only talked about on Iowa boards among the groupthink mouth breathers.

The notion that one fan base complains about the refs more than any other is stupid. You are a stupid person for suggesting as much, and you should feel bad about yourself.

Clowns make more FTs than Iowa attempts (23-36 to 14-21). Total fouls: Clowns 20, Hawks 27. And at no point was Iowa trying to foul to get the ball back.

Nine point advantage there; what'd the Clowns win by?

See any problem here?

If ISU didn't let Iowa have all of those wide open layups and dunks, the fouls would've been more even.

BTW, Iowa got 33 more free throw attempts over Nebraska Omaha, 10 more free throw attempts over Notre Dame, and 6 more free throw attempts over Xavier. I guess the refs were one-sided in those games as well. Iowa should have three more losses then.

The thing that bothers me is the timing of the whistles. When they drove the lane the refs would blow the whistle before contact was even made (whether it even was or not). When we drove the lane the whistle would come after the play. That's how you can tell a game is being called unfair. Anticipation calls on one end and not the other.

I agree but honestly who in their right mind did not expect this? No program has a great home court advantage without favorable officiating. That forces every team to be that much better which we kind of proved we are. The game we played outside of 1-6 on free throw line in crunch time was super impressive considering.

If the NCAA tourney is played in Hilton I am picking ISU in my final four bracket regardless of the team they have.

If ISU didn't let Iowa have all of those wide open layups and dunks, the fouls would've been more even.

BTW, Iowa got 33 more free throw attempts over Nebraska Omaha, 10 more free throw attempts over Notre Dame, and 6 more free throw attempts over Xavier. I guess the refs were one-sided in those games as well. Iowa should have three more losses then.
I'll admit that the refs were definitely one sided in the NebOmaha game. Notre Dame was also slightly one sided. Xavier not so much my friend. You really shouldn't include the Atlantis tourney for your officiating argument. That tourney is a big scam.
The problem is that officiating in college BB sucks and yes I could do better. :)

Sorry, however blaming the refs is an Iowa tradition. It's a well-known stereotype that Iowa never loses a game--it's always due to the refs, the other team's superbowl, or Iowa had an injury. Are you forgetting the 2000 KF football years and the Alford years?

The difference with ISU and those games you cited, the national media and every other non-rival fanbase piled on those terrible calls.

In Iowa's case, it's only talked about on Iowa boards among the groupthink mouth breathers.

Every message board complains about the refs. VERY few if any does it as much as ISU. Claiming a loss is a win, is simply pathetic. If you pay any attention to what I've been saying, I have said the home team nearly always gets the benefits of the balls. Those games you listed at Carver, and I'd readily admit they got more calls at home. What is so freaking hard for ISU fan to understand that they get the benefits of the calls at Hilton 9 times out of 10.

Unless one team is having to foul to try to get the ball back, fouls should more or less even out over the course of 40 minutes. Won't be exactly even but should be close. Not like that. The floor seemed tipped one way last night looking at those numbers don't you think?

Hilton Magic my ***.

I hope Iowa gets another shot at you in the tournament. The better team did not win last night.

The better team last night was the team that won the game. Period.

The better team over the course of the year, we shall see.

You play the game to win, including overcoming ref incompetence if necessary. Nobody cares that Georgetown was "the better team" in 1985. Villanova got the ring.

Actually, as poor as Iowa shot free throws last night, we should be thanking the refs for not calling as many fouls on ISU. Just looking at the glass as half full.

The better team last night was the team that won the game. Period.

The better team over the course of the year, we shall see.

You play the game to win, including overcoming ref incompetence if necessary. Nobody cares that Georgetown was "the better team" in 1985. Villanova got the ring.

Gunna have to disagree with you that the better team won.

It was about the home court advantage you would expect in a place like Hilton. No worse than going to MSU or Wisc

Is such a Cyclown thing to do. Be better than that.

Let's be honest here. As an Iowa fan I am bummed the Hawks didn't win. As an Iowa native who's lived away for 25 years, having 2 of the top 25 teams in the country is a rarity and pretty special.

Let's also face the fact that Carver Hawkeye is like a stuffy country club atmosphere. The fans, especially students, need to step it up several notches.

Love or hate the clones all you want, but Hilton is a great place for college basketball. Iowa fans need to take note of how they can be a great 6th man.

Latest posts