Blame the coaches all you want

JVB had a great game... he receivers were just dropping the ball. Next week it all comes together.

He did perform better, but still pretty average IMO. Keep in mind NW is one of the weakest secondaries in the conference and 2 starters were out. A good fifth year senior QB should have shredded them up.

Also the 2 scores in the second half were made possible by the PI penalty and the roughing the passer penalty. Let's don't go giving JVB a ton of credit for those scores.

I have said this for months......sure the receivers drop passes, but they can't catch the crap he is throwing. This QB is lacking touch on the ball. Inconsistent. Last year same thing but worse this year as he has lost confidence. Passes are short or overthrown or thrown like a rocket from 5 yards.

you forgot that our defense is an absolute joke to,

This. Most everyone has been ripping on the Offense but the Defense has been just as bad the past two weeks.
Penn St and NW did whatever they wanted against our Defense and I don't see things getting better anytime soon. Hawks have failed in every phase of the game the past two weeks and the Defense will continue to be exposed for the remainder of the season.

The decision to go for it on 4th and 12 instead of having your all american caliber kicker attempt a 46 yarder? Mind boggling. Odds of Meyer making that kick, roughly 60%. Odds of Iowa converting a 4th and 12, roughly 10%. It was a no brainer.

Agree on that.

Then how do you explain the fact that he was an excellent accurate QB last season? And now he sucks? What, he forgot how to play football?
No. This is on the coaches. 100%

Coaching doesn't leave passes 5 yards short - repeatedly - or 6 feet over receivers' heads - repeatedly. Nor do coaches cause a 5th-year senior to become oblivious to the play clock - repeatedly.

I am not saying the coaches are doing a great job, but at this stage of his career JVB fully owns his inept performances.

Coaching doesn't leave passes 5 yards short - repeatedly - or 6 feet over receivers' heads - repeatedly. Nor do coaches cause a 5th-year senior to become oblivious to the play clock - repeatedly.

I am not saying the coaches are doing a great job, but at this stage of his career JVB fully owns his inept performances.

Vandenburg is far from a good big 10 qb. The guys decision making is terrible.

I'd agree with everything but the play clock. Ferentz has had a helluva time managing the play clock for years. With different QB's, and now different OC's. Common denominator.

Look - I didn't care for JVB last season and I certainly don't care for him this season. And my disdain is at an all time high given his propensity for entrapping bears and shooting them.

But yesterday was the best he's looked in two seasons. Hands down. Not close.

Now granted his head still isn't in the game, and he still had some horrendous passes. But that is because he isn't very good. It doesn't change the fact that if you didn't see a dramatic improvement in JVB yesterday you weren't watching.

It was actually one of the few bright spots.

This is a team effort in suckiness. JVB is like the golfer who has a great swing in practice but in the heat of competition just doesn't have it anymore. Mostly confidence at this point. Another example if the pitcher who all of a sudden can't find the strike zone. Once it's in your head, it's tough to recover. In football and baseball, the coach can control part of this by inserting a new player. If there is no other player on the roster good enough to substitute for the WORST QB in the B10, that's the coach's fault and he can't blame injury on that one. He's got a pass on the RB situation.

Coaching definitely has been sub par. However, it's been shown over and over again that coaching only goes so far without talent. Chizek can't win at ISU, wins NC at Auburn. Now can't win again at Auburn. Coaches don't forget how to coach from year to year. So there is definitely a talent gap as well.

Lickliter, coach of the year at Butler, reviled coach at Iowa. Kirk Ferentz, great leader at Iowa, now tarnishing his reputation at Iowa with his seemingly being stuck in neutral (at best).

I'd say winning is 85% talent, 10% practice coaching, 5% game day decisions.

I do agree James regression is obviously due to the coaching. A new system a washed up OC who has no idea that you dont force people into a system. You develop it slowly using his current skill set so you might actually have an offense that can move the ball. You throw your young QBs into the new system and recruit the players you need. Greg Davis is a massive failure and him saying CJ is the best tight end he has ever coached yet uses him on a grand total of 1 play until jNW game he added a second play late in the game is just crazy talk. So in other words, yeah I will blame the coaches. OP feel free to blame anything you want as well. Maybe its actually KOK's fault for leaving :)

Bingo

Look - I didn't care for JVB last season and I certainly don't care for him this season. And my disdain is at an all time high given his propensity for entrapping bears and shooting them.

Now granted his head still isn't in the game, and he still had some horrendous passes. But that is because he isn't very good. It doesn't change the fact that if you didn't see a dramatic improvement in JVB yesterday you weren't watching.

You're right, Boss. Through 3 quarters, he was very good, certainly much improved. But he fell apart on the crucial plays at the end, with both poor throws & game management - the last thing you'd expect of a 5th-year senior. Another case where stats don't tell the story.

Then how do you explain the fact that he was an excellent accurate QB last season? And now he sucks? What, he forgot how to play football?
No. This is on the coaches. 100%

Maybe JVB has some personal problems going on that are affecting him? Anyone remember Jeff Smoker?

I guess I obviously wasn't watching because what I saw was not better QB play, but one of the worst secondaries we've faced this year. I'll give him credit though the bounce pass is looking much better and the accuracy on the two failed fourth down conversions was almost to the close enough that we could blame the receivers for drops rather than putting the ball no where near a spot where they could catch it. Maybe it was a better day, but pathetic is still pathetic.

Latest posts