Blame the coaches all you want

NEHawkeye

but the bottom line is that we have an ineffective QB. He's not mobile and he's not an accurate passer. That is our problem.

Then how do you explain the fact that he was an excellent accurate QB last season? And now he sucks? What, he forgot how to play football?
No. This is on the coaches. 100%

Blame the coaches all you want but the bottom line is that we have an ineffective QB. He's not mobile and he's not an accurate passer. That is our problem.

So the coaches aren't to blame for recruiting an ineffective QB that's not mobile or accurate?

If the Texas OC (who shall remain unnamed) was supposed to be great at using the strengths of the team each year, why isn't he this year? Why the freaking crazy changes to the passing game?

If the Texas OC (who shall remain unnamed) was supposed to be great at using the strengths of the team each year, why isn't he this year? Why the freaking crazy changes to the passing game?

Which strengths would those be? The great hands and ability to get open of our receivers, our ability to piecemeal such a great running game with whoever can play that day, our consistently good QB play, or our overall team speed. Which one should he be utilizing more?

I'm right there with you as far as the frustration with our offense, but I just don't think he has much to work with. As bad as it "seems" the play calling and schemes have been, if we just made the make-able playes most D1 players make, the season would be a whole lot different to this point.

but the bottom line is that we have an ineffective QB. He's not mobile and he's not an accurate passer. That is our problem.

I am pretty sure JVB wasn't playing on the defense that gave up 8 yrds per carry. As a coach, it is your job to put your players in situations to be successful. Therefore, Greg Davis should have adjusted the offense in a way to allow JVB and the WRs (who have a hard time getting separation, not to mention catching the ball) to have more opportunities to succeed.

Certainly the players bare some of the criticism. Dropped passes, terrible throws, bad blocking, bad tackling. There were plenty of all of those things. But this coaching staff isn't even giving the players a chance to succeed. Horrible play calling. In the 1st quarter we ran the play action I believe 3 times, and it was working. Then we went away from it completely. The delay of games?? Coaching. KF said in the post game that the play clocks are hard to see at Northwestern. Well geez Kirk, is this your first game in Evanston? Maybe you should let your QB know that and put extra emphasis on it. And how about this? When you have a critical 4th and 3 early in the game and you see your idiot QB screwing around and not snapping the ball, call a time out! The decision to go for it on 4th and 12 instead of having your all american caliber kicker attempt a 46 yarder? Mind boggling. Odds of Meyer making that kick, roughly 60%. Odds of Iowa converting a 4th and 12, roughly 10%. It was a no brainer. We seem to have no fundamentals whatsover out there. That is coaching. This team is unprepared, and we do not alter our game plan at all. Northwestern's first drive; twice went 5 wide and emptied out our LB's. It was an obvious QB draw. It was like showing us their cards, and yet we follow along like stupid sheep and clear out the middle of the field for them. Pat Fitzgerald knows we are the stupidest team in the Big Ten, and the only reason NU should ever lose to us is if the NU players completely **** up. Because we have 0% chance to out-scheme or outsmart them. I have stood up for Ferentz always. I never say anything bad about him, but I have had it. After 14 years I would expect better fundamentals and better game plans. I think the game is passing him by. I really do.

You guys remember the days when a Ferentz coached team would get burned once in a scenario and then they would adjust (like the whole bowl game preparation after the Orange Bowl)?

Yeah, me neither. :(

JVB had a great game... he receivers were just dropping the ball. Next week it all comes together.

Agree 100% what an amazing game. The two excellent passes at the end of each half said it all. Hard to drop a pass thats nowhere near you. On second thought when did the bounce pass become an offensive weapon? The thing tht floors me is that of all the scrambling QB's in this conference somehow not only can they scramble but they also seem to be able to throw. Who would have thought.

Agree 100% what an amazing game. The two excellent passes at the end of each half said it all. Hard to drop a pass thats nowhere near you. On second thought when did the bounce pass become an offensive weapon? The thing tht floors me is that of all the scrambling QB's in this conference somehow not only can they scramble but they also seem to be able to throw. Who would have thought.

Mr. Davis always coached the bounce pass as an offensive tool.

After 14 years I would expect better fundamentals and better game plans. I think the game is passing him by. I really do.

After 14 years I am amazed you didn't expect this season. Seriously, I can't tell who is more hysterical, those who can't believe this season is happening, or those who think it will be this way forever.

Latest posts