BLAME/EMBARRASSING/STUPIDITY

I agree. ISU's execution has not been good, and defense and rebounding has been worse.

Iowa has a shot, especially if they avoid one of their extended offensive lulls. And, interestingly enough, a good strategy for slowing down Royce White is to flop, a la UNI.

I rather lose by 100 than play UNI style a la flop like Biatches
When you flop you are basically saying you can't defend and need someone else to play defense for you (in this case it's the refs)

I rather lose by 100 than play UNI style a la flop like Biatches
When you flop you are basically saying you can't defend and need someone else to play defense for you (in this case it's the refs)

OK but now you nominated yourself to call out every single Hawk player that flops this year.

I will be waiting for you to call out Iowa players that flop.

UNI was not flopping all that much. There were a few times they flat out beat an Iowa player to the spot.

Of course they are the same fans that complain about KF being too controlled.

Is there any doubt?

It's sad when a coach turns a 2 point game into a blowout because he was absolutely zero self control. i dont want to hear "he was sticking up for his team", "the refs lost the game for us", blah, blah, blah. We were hanging bigtime with UNI until Fran made a complete a$$ out of himself, embarrassed us, gave UNI 6 or 8 free shots...and it snowballed from there. I can tell you for a fact there is more than one kid on the Hawkeyes that feels the exact same way. For those of you that have been impressed with Fran? This season is quickly fading into a disaster. If he wants to ignite his team, rather than getting t'd up at the most inopportune time, how bout maybe shaking up the line-up or getting a rotation down where kids understand their roles / etc?

You watched the game, right?

Whether Fran got a T or not... The refs weren't going to allow us to win. For once we actually tried playing some damn defense and the refs weren't having it. I think they called a foul on Iowa 4 or 5 straight possessions when most of them were questionable AT BEST.

For the good majority of the game their players were allowed to hand-check the ball handler and body up, but if an Iowa player breathed on a UNI player it was a foul.

I have honestly seen and played in more physical Jr. High basketball games than that. These refs were bad and I will admit that even some of the calls they made against UNI were questionable (although they might have been "make-up calls"). These are college players and you have to allow a certain level of physical play at the college level, but if you aren't going to allow it... it has to go both ways AT ALL TIMES.

Fran didn't lose control of this game, the refs lost control of the game and Fran had every right to be p***ed about it.

Even though we lost... I was mostly impressed with the team tonight. We just need to find a way to take away the 3 ball.

That is my opinion.

Last edited:
Give it a rest....Fran is extremely competitive. If I were him I would make sure that Andrew Francis and the other assistants never get a technical again...that is the head coaches job, not the assistants.

The competitiveness Fran exudes makes him the type of guy that players want to play for. While his reaction was over-the-top it was all in support of his players getting a fair shake.
There it is.....

:)

Pomeroy rankings of the 5 Iowa wins. There are 345 teams.

Chicago St....344
Northern Ill....335
NC A&T.........301
Brown...........292
IPFW.............242

Well I understand the frustration, I was at the game and had a loudmouth UNI fan in my ear all night so I am venting a little myself. But one of the refs decided he wanted center stage and totally took over the game. I get the first technical but he should have let Fran have his say and walk away, there was no reason to give him a 2nd technical. I have not seen this much flopping since the Michigan State game and the refs were calling it, very easy to get frustrated especially in that atmosphere.

Kudos to UNI for creating that atmosphere, there were a bunch of Iowa fans in attendance but you would have never known it. The student body was awesome, very easy for the officials to let their calls favor the home team.
Very good post, Kelly, agree with all. It would really make a difference if the Iowa students attended the games.

Players 'RESPONDING' to a coach getting a T....or being ejected.... has to be one of the more overstated opinions without any fact to back it up.

I'd like to see some numbers on teams records when a coach gets thrown T'd up or thrown out of a game. In baseball, show the teams next inning after an ejection....or in basketball.....the next 4-8 minutes after the coach got the technical or ejection......... and then the teams final outcome.

Fans think coaches are so tactic and calculated when it comes to technicals and ejections...... when most of the time the guy just lost their temper and control of emotions.

Funny stuff.

Would you rather see this when things aren't going our way?

ncb_i_lickliter_300.jpg

Very good post, Kelly, agree with all. It would really make a difference if the Iowa students attended the games.

Yes, I was jealous over the basketball atmosphere and the support they get from their student body. Fran has got to figure out a way to get the students back to the game and rebuild the Hawks Nest. Student body support not only helps the players on the court but it also is impressive to recruits.

Give me the coach who sticks up for his team over one who sits with his head in his hands EVERY TIME.

Fran wants to win...badly. That is painfully obvious. He needs another couple of years to get the players he needs.

He will get the job done. Fans need to be patient.

Give me the coach who sticks up for his team over one who sits with his head in his hands EVERY TIME.Fran wants to win...badly. That is painfully obvious. He needs another couple of years to get the players he needs.He will get the job done. Fans need to be patient.

Well said.

I CANNOT tell you for a fact there is more than one kid on the Hawkeyes that feels the exact same way.[/quote said:
There. Fixed it for you.
I have grown tired of basketballman's ignorant posts claiming to be an insider expert on all things Hawkeye basketball.
Clearly you are a troll from CFN or some other school. Definitely not a Hawkeye fan.

Last edited:
Look I do not think that anyone can say that was great officiating. Even the UNI callers were alluding at the fact it was a bit one sided. I have no problem with the T that Fran got. Did it hurt us? No the 2nd, and 3rd one did. I would love to see video of the ball slap again. To me it did not seem aggressive and was a gray area call. It seems like it was called to "keep the game in control".

I have no problem with Frans reaction and I am in no way embarrassed. My father was going crazy about the officiating, and I normally have to check his pulse during Hawkeye games.

I thought that Fran and staff put a good game plan together and it was working. Bang it down low and get your twos. They were not going to try and go toe to toe shooting 3s with UNI. Iowa had to play different when there were so many whistles blown. You don't drive the same, you back off players a little bit, and so on. UNI ended up with 15 fouls right? I believe that 8 those came after Fran was ejected. I wold like to see the number on that.

THIS IS ONLY FRANS 2ND YEAR! I like excitement. I love to see that he is fighting to bring IOWA back! I hope the players start to get half off that passion and aggressiveness (you call it loosing control).

p.s. I love Marbles chops last night showed a lot! (pun totally intended)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just think there is a fine line between "aggressive" and "sticking up for your team" and totally losing control and going off on the ref....officiating was awful but on his last T when he got ejected Fran was at the free throw line yelling at the ref....

I just think there is a fine line between "aggressive" and "sticking up for your team" and totally losing control and going off on the ref....officiating was awful but on his last T when he got ejected Fran was at the free throw line yelling at the ref....

When he got his last T the game was already over. I have no problem with Fran's T's; an assistant coach and player should never get T'd up though.

Latest posts