BLAME/EMBARRASSING/STUPIDITY

The second T was on the assistant and the others on the players. If you've ever coached the players will model their behavior after their coach. If your coach is under control during pressure situations so will the players. If your coach overreacts so will the players. Your a professional coach act like one.

Was Bobby Knight a good coach? Just wondering your opinion on that because he had a little bit of success and tended to overreact from time to time. I understand what you are saying and I don't believe Fran intended for his T to lead to 2 more in the next 20 secs or so.

It's been said before by many coaches that a technical on the coach can be a motivator for his team and also get his point across to the refs. The problem tonight was that Andrew Francis got a T and then McCabe got a T. One T you can play through; 3 makes it tough. The 4th was irrelevant because the game was out of reach.

I support Fran on his first technical because calls were going against Iowa in a very lopsided way.

I'm not saying I want FM to run around with his hair on fire all the time, I don't. And there have been times I've wondered about his temper, not gonna lie. BUT there comes a time when you HAVE to back your kids and show them that you'll go to WAR for them just like you expect them to do for you. You either care about your players and love them or you don't.
I played for a HOF coach in high school and spent alot of time with him after high school and the thing that sticks with me the most is him saying "I don't enjoy riding the officials, but my kids getting a fair chance means a hell of a lot more to me than pissin off an official or two."

Okay, let's see if this bonds this team together as you all think it will. Time will tell I guess.... I'm not holding my breath though! If it works, doesn't seem very classy to me.

Give it a rest....Fran is extremely competitive. If I were him I would make sure that Andrew Francis and the other assistants never get a technical again...that is the head coaches job, not the assistants.

The competitiveness Fran exudes makes him the type of guy that players want to play for. While his reaction was over-the-top it was all in support of his players getting a fair shake.

I fully support Fran's T. The refs decided they would become part of the storyline tonight. When that happens, it means they're probably not doing a good job. After suffering from Lick and Alford's apparent apathy on the sideline for the last 10 years, I'll take a little fire.

I'm mad again.

So BasketballMan, as a coach you would tolerate watching one of your kids get shoved across the floor? Just sit on your hands right?

3 technicals in 19 seconds is what I heard on the postgame. McCaffrey had 2; Francis 1 and McCabe 1. UNI was what, 23-27 from the line and shot some unholy % from 3, while we shot 1-12. We are 9 games into the season and have given up on playing fast, scoring in the 80's etc. and are now playing some inside out game with no bigs and perimeter guys who can't shoot.

ISU will carve us up and serve us on a platter by half time.

I fully support Fran's T. The refs decided they would become part of the storyline tonight. When that happens, it means they're probably not doing a good job. After suffering from Lick and Alford's apparent apathy on the sideline for the last 10 years, I'll take a little fire.

I'm mad again.

Alford was a lot of things, but he wasn't apathetic on the sidelines.

SSCKELLEY - not saying I would, however...there's a fine line between sticking up for your kids vs getting t'd up at the worst of times, then embarrassing yourself. Listen. I "get" where you are coming from. I'm just pretty frickin frustrated with many other "things" I'm seeing with this team like lineups, rotations, etc. etc. I thought we were gonna press alot this year? Or how bout run? or did we give up on that already? And how about scoring in the 70s and 80s? Really? Sorry. Maybe my frustration is just boiling over, however...there are some really, really concerning things going on right now...and it is NOT all because of our lack of talent. And by the way...are we EVER going to put a kid on his A$$ after hitting a 3?

Did you watch the first 30 minutes? If they come out and play like that against ISU they can win.

I agree. ISU's execution has not been good, and defense and rebounding has been worse.

Iowa has a shot, especially if they avoid one of their extended offensive lulls. And, interestingly enough, a good strategy for slowing down Royce White is to flop, a la UNI.

talkinhawks - now we're comparing Bobby Knight to Fran McCaffery!?!?!? Dear Lord.

I'm not comparing their results...you said players act like their coaches. Bobby Knight had some pretty good players that had great NBA careers and he was as hot tempered as they come

Well I understand the frustration, I was at the game and had a loudmouth UNI fan in my ear all night so I am venting a little myself. But one of the refs decided he wanted center stage and totally took over the game. I get the first technical but he should have let Fran have his say and walk away, there was no reason to give him a 2nd technical. I have not seen this much flopping since the Michigan State game and the refs were calling it, very easy to get frustrated especially in that atmosphere.

Kudos to UNI for creating that atmosphere, there were a bunch of Iowa fans in attendance but you would have never known it. The student body was awesome, very easy for the officials to let their calls favor the home team.

SSCKELLEY - not saying I would, however...there's a fine line between sticking up for your kids vs getting t'd up at the worst of times, then embarrassing yourself. Listen. I "get" where you are coming from. I'm just pretty frickin frustrated with many other "things" I'm seeing with this team like lineups, rotations, etc. etc. I thought we were gonna press alot this year? Or how bout run? or did we give up on that already? And how about scoring in the 70s and 80s? Really? Sorry. Maybe my frustration is just boiling over, however...there are some really, really concerning things going on right now...and it is NOT all because of our lack of talent. And by the way...are we EVER going to put a kid on his A$$ after hitting a 3?

In Iowa's wins they have scored 79,96,95,88 and 82. IN their losses they have scored 59,61,55,54. It seems to me they want to score in the 70's and 80's, but that isn't always possible. You do realize that Cartwright was out tonight also right? It makes pushing the ball and pressing a little bit more difficult when your quickest guard and best ball handler is not playing.

I understand your frustration but I think you are being too hard on them right now. UNI is a good team and it's a tough venue and you are without your pg, yet they still managed to keep the game close until the unraveling...which is not all Fran's fault.

In Iowa's wins they have scored 79,96,95,88 and 82. IN their losses they have scored 59,61,55,54. It seems to me they want to score in the 70's and 80's, but that isn't always possible. You do realize that Cartwright was out tonight also right? It makes pushing the ball and pressing a little bit more difficult when your quickest guard and best ball handler is not playing.

I understand your frustration but I think you are being too hard on them right now. UNI is a good team and it's a tough venue and you are without your pg, yet they still managed to keep the game close until the unraveling...which is not all Fran's fault.

Those wins were against garbage teams. The loses were against better competition (Campbell surprised me). I expect as Iowa gets into the Big 10 season Iowa will need to start to learn to win the games in the 50's to 60's.

Those wins were against garbage teams. The loses were against better competition (Campbell surprised me). I expect as Iowa gets into the Big 10 season Iowa will need to start to learn to win the games in the 50's to 60's.

I agree. Basketballman was implying that Iowa is not trying to be uptempo etc. I believe they are trying to be uptempo against teams that they can be, but it doesn't always work that way. Especially against teams like Creighton and UNI.

Latest posts