BLACK AND GOLD BLOWOUT TO MAKE RETURN…ON A FRIDAY NIGHT

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
July 31, 2012

BLACK AND GOLD BLOWOUT TO MAKE RETURN…ON A FRIDAY NIGHT

IOWA CITY, Iowa – University of Iowa men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery will look back in UI basketball history to move the Hawkeyes forward this fall when the UI Athletics Department introduces and re-engineered “Black and Gold Blowout†into his team’s preseason plan.

McCaffery’s third UI men’s basketball team – the 2012-13 Hawkeyes – will make their first public appearance the evening of Friday, Oct. 19, in Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

“For me, bringing back the Blowout is no different than working hard to establish great relationships with our former players and other friends of our program. The Blowout has significant tradition to it that is uniquely ours, so I’m eager to build on what made past Blowouts successful while making the changes that make it work well today,†said McCaffery.

Staging the event on Friday night is one example of a “twist†McCaffery sees as very important, particularly this year when the only home football game in the month of October is also a prime time event at Kinnick Stadium.

“The Blowout on a football weekend makes great sense because it gives our tremendous fans, some of whom otherwise might not get to Carver, a chance to see our team,†added McCaffery. “However, I also know how important game days are for our football fans and for me and my staff from a recruiting perspective, so I’m excited about the opportunity to jump start the new season with a Friday night event.â€

The start time for the 2012 Blowout is yet to be finalized but it will be driven in great measure by what fit bests into the schedule of Hawkeye fans including, most notably, the fans of the Iowa football team who will be traveling to Iowa City for the football game the following night against Penn State and what would work best for engaging current UI students.

In terms of what fans will see and experience, the idea is to “go bigger.â€

“The plan is coming together nicely, but our expectation is to take the very best of the previous events, including things like the pre-event photo session and post-event autograph session, and add another level of production and excitement. And, obviously, a big piece of the excitement is the team itself,†said Lisa Pearson, the UI’s director of marketing, who also noted that the 2012 Blowout will also include an appearance by Lisa Bluder's 2012-13 UI women's basketball team.

Re: BLACK AND GOLD BLOWOUT TO MAKE RETURN�ON A FRIDAY NIGHT

When did they stop doing this? I thought they have always been doing it.

Re:BLACK AND GOLD BLOWOUT TO MAKE RETURNÂ…ON A FRIDAY NIGHT

A. Great it's back

B. Friday night is high school football. When do playoffs start?

Re: BLACK AND GOLD BLOWOUT TO MAKE RETURN�ON A FRIDAY NIGHT

totally franticlimatic

Re:BLACK AND GOLD BLOWOUT TO MAKE RETURNÂ…ON A FRIDAY NIGHT

What does this have to do with the climate?

Glad it is back ... But too bad it is on a Friday night ... I come over for football games, but only for the day ... I think they will miss the boat a bit but kudos for the program as it continues to climb back ...

Huh. I'll be in IC that evening. Maybe I'll try to attend the B&G B.O.

Nah, who am I kidding; I'll be passed out face down in the gutter in front of teh Airliner by 7:45 PM that night.

Glad it is back ... But too bad it is on a Friday night ... I come over for football games, but only for the day ... I think they will miss the boat a bit but kudos for the program as it continues to climb back ...

No offense to the poster, but our fans are the most anal, glass-is-half-empty fanbase in the country.

Who gives a rip? They're bringing some excitement back to Iowa Basketball.....giving the fans an early opportunity to get a glimpse of the team. And what do they get in return? "Friday night? That's high school football night!" "Friday night? I don't get into Iowa City for the football game until Saturday!" "Friday night? That's Lawrence Welk night!"

Good night!

I don't think high school football will have a huge impact on attendance. It's not like all of the people going to HS football games would otherwise be at the B & G Blowout. The number of people in town for the football game will probably more than make up for it.

Plus, I think having it on a weeknight would hurt attendance much more than having it on a HS football Friday.

Biggest drawback I see is that the Penn State football game the next day is a night game which means less fans will be coming in Friday night for that. That night game also explains why they're having it Friday night instead of Saturday night.

I think it's a bunch of hoop hype and then a scrimmage. I think it's aimed at generating excitement; I don't think it's a "serious" event. It's all about fun.

I would guess since Fran is actually somewhat in touch to the younger generation, we may see a dunk contest, 3 point shootout, etc as well as some sort of scrimmage. Kind of like what Midnight Madness is at many schools. All I know is I got my room for Friday and Saturday and for $5 I sure as hell am going.

I cannot wait for this! I used to attend these as a kid! These include, over the top introductions (pyro), dunk contests, the usual scrimmage and an autograph session after up top. Unless they change the format, hope not!

I cannot wait for this! I used to attend these as a kid! These include, over the top introductions (pyro), dunk contests, the usual scrimmage and an autograph session after up top. Unless they change the format, hope not!
Confirmed:tons of prizes (inculding halfcourt shot for $50,000) dunk contest with former Hawks as judges.

Latest posts