BJ Armstrong on Herd

NorthKCHawk

BJ was a guest on Cowturds show today. There was a brief shout out to Iowa and how tough the Big 10 was this year. Beyond that it was a good discussion of the NBA. That man sure seems to know his BB. Hope whenever Fran hangs them up that BJ will consider throwing his hat in the ring.

I'm not even sure when Fran plans on hanging it up. Originally I thought after Patrick graduated but now that he's redshirted the youngest son can't be too far behind right

BJ is too smart to want to coach or he'd have already gotten into it. Why put himself under that stress and if he did coach for Iowa and didn't do well.... Why leave that taste in our mouths? So yeah he's living in LA making great money still around the game. I'll be shocked if he got into coaching at this point.

I'm not even sure when Fran plans on hanging it up. Originally I thought after Patrick graduated but now that he's redshirted the youngest son can't be too far behind right
Yeah there's another McCaffery in middle school yet. There were highlights of his Barnstormers team along with JWs little bro being put out there. So might be another 10 plus years of Fran yet if he wants to.

I did see an interview a while back where BJ said if he was ever offered the Iowa job it would be hard to say no.

I did see an interview a while back where BJ said if he was ever offered the Iowa job it would be hard to say no.
I think that was pre Fran and during the Licklighter disaster. Maybe right after he'd been fired I'm not sure. But when there was no clear cut person for the gig every Tom Dick and Harry put BJs name in the ring.(see what I did there? totally unintentional) Remember the program was cratered at that point. It's never been lower in my lifetime. It's in a much different spot now.
I think he was looking at it as if he was the 'last resort' kinda thing he'd not leave the program in a lurch kinda deal. And yeah with all that time now having gone by since then he's just that much further away from wanting to get into coaching at this level I think.

I cannot see Iowa or any college program hiring a former sports agent to be coach. You might as well start your tenure under investigation.

BJ was a guest on Cowturds show today. There was a brief shout out to Iowa and how tough the Big 10 was this year. Beyond that it was a good discussion of the NBA. That man sure seems to know his BB. Hope whenever Fran hangs them up that BJ will consider throwing his hat in the ring.
Not this again...

Well, I think he would at the very least be a dynamite recruiter with all the NBA contacts he has. He can sell that point to recruits. But I think Dean Oliver would probably take over for Fran if he decided to retire. I could also see a scenario where Fran might covet the Notre Dame job if it came open.

BJ sometimes gets overlooked as Roy was considered the "star" of that era...but he's carved out one hell of a career for himself. One of the most successful and classy student athletes ever to play at IOWA.
Mr. Davis actually preferred Michael Reaves over BJ based off the China trip prior to that 1986-87 season. But BJ took it to heart and worked tirelessly on his game. Then Reaves got hurt preseason and it set him back-and opened the door for BJ.

Armstrong soon had a headlock on the starting point guard position. And he never stopped working. It paid dividends when the Bulls came calling in the draft because they needed a point guard who could shoot from the outside in their triangle offense. Someone who could stand outside when defenses had to pay attention to a couple guys named Michael and Scottie.

Mr. Davis actually preferred Michael Reaves over BJ based off the China trip prior to that 1986-87 season. But BJ took it to heart and worked tirelessly on his game. Then Reaves got hurt preseason and it set him back-and opened the door for BJ.

Armstrong soon had a headlock on the starting point guard position. And he never stopped working. It paid dividends when the Bulls came calling in the draft because they needed a point guard who could shoot from the outside in their triangle offense. Someone who could stand outside when defenses had to pay attention to a couple guys named Michael and Scottie.
Yeah BJ backed up Paxon for those first two championship seasons but played a ton that 2nd yr against Portland. Then the 3rd year against Phoenix he started all yr and really flourished. He had a handful of really good games in the finals that yr. Then the following yr after Jordan retired BJ had his best season individually as he became an All Star. He Pippen and Kukoc were left to try and maintain things but that was impossible without Mike. The NBA was loaded in those days.

Latest posts