Bit ya in the azz didn’t it..........

BigD

Northwestern coach? We see it all the time in most major sports where a coach goes conservative towards the end of a game and goes away from what got you in position to win.

Playing not to lose and trying to run the clock off. It was nice to see this bite someone else in the azz besides us.

I mean I get it. With a fifteen point lead and four minutes left to play in the game. Even if you run your two minutes worth of possessions off the clock and don’t score that means your opponents has to score sixteen points to your zero.

You were man handling us so the chances of that happening are very unlikely. However if you would have just kept attacking the basketball hoop with a fifteen point lead the chances of you having a loss are almost zero, but hey thank you.

Northwestern coach? We see it all the time in most major sports where a coach goes conservative towards the end of a game and goes away from what got you in position to win.

Playing not to lose and trying to run the clock off. It was nice to see this bite someone else in the azz besides us.

I mean I get it. With a fifteen point lead and four minutes left to play in the game. Even if you run your two minutes worth of possessions off the clock and don’t score that means your opponents has to score sixteen points to your zero.

You were man handling us so the chances of that happening are very unlikely. However if you would have just kept attacking the basketball hoop with a fifteen point lead the chances of you having a loss are almost zero, but hey thank you.

This couldn’t be further from the truth. Iowa earned that W. That was Iowa taking it to Northwestern the final 4 minutes and it didn’t allow Northwestern to get comfortable with what they had been doing the entire game. Iowa also hit it’s last 7 shots to end that game, had they not done that we not still talking about it... You definitely watch a different game than what I watched if you believe that.

I think the right move as a coach in that situation is to shorten up the game. That's exactly what Iowa has done in the past as well with a lead like that. Run clock, shorten the game up resulting in fewer possessions. It also results in the other team needing to foul. NW had an 11 point lead with 2:09 left on the clock. If you lose that game you are really really terrible. I can't imagine my state of mind if Iowa would have lost a game they were up 11 with 129 seconds left.

Where NW really f'd up is how they handled the press. That was all-time bad. If they weren't turning the ball over they were nearly turning it over and also burning timeouts for getting trapped in corners and other massive no-nos.

I know we say Iowa doesn't have a true PG, but NW REALLY doesn't have a true PG and it burned them badly tonight.

I think the right move as a coach in that situation is to shorten up the game. That's exactly what Iowa has done in the past as well with a lead like that. Run clock, shorten the game up resulting in fewer possessions. It also results in the other team needing to foul. NW had an 11 point lead with 2:09 left on the clock. If you lose that game you are really really terrible. I can't imagine my state of mind if Iowa would have lost a game they were up 11 with 129 seconds left.

Where NW really f'd up is how they handled the press. That was all-time bad. If they weren't turning the ball over they were nearly turning it over and also burning timeouts for getting trapped in corners and other massive no-nos.

I know we say Iowa doesn't have a true PG, but NW REALLY doesn't have a true PG and it burned them badly tonight.

I total agree and like I said I understand why coaches do it. The odds are totally with them. I am just really happy to see this work in our favor.

I would be sick to my stomach if this shoe had been on the other foot. Give Iowa it’s due though as they had to exucute a perfect last few minutes of the game tonget themselves in position to win this game, which goes along with the comment HawkPrdatr40 made.

giphy.gif

Iowa's full court press had a lot to do with that. Didn't you watch the game?

NW doesn't have a true point guard and nobody that can handle the pressure. NW wasn't playing to not lose, they were playing to get the ball past the half court line. Besides, the pressure was on Iowa to make the plays and they did, the team made their last 7 shots of the game. That's almost unheard of!

I get trying to be the guy who thinks they have a better perspective than everyone else on a fan board but your take is bad and it's flat out wrong. Give the team that won the game some credit.

They couldn't handle the press the entire game. The difference is Iowa made their shots down the stretch that allowed them to set up the press. When you are missing shots, you can't set up the press, which was Iowa's best weapon last night.

Yep, agreed. +15 and 4 minutes to go, you start working clock. Quick-shooting adds opportunities for the opponent, possible run outs and quick baskets, etc. That can lead to a quick 10-0 run and all the sudden you've got a game.

What I don't agree with, is when I've seen coaches run clock in a one possession game and still a couple minutes left instead of executing the offense and working for a good shot. I remember Tom Davis running "the wheel" in those situations.. and it cost us games.

It's all about understanding time and score. You gotta know when to hold 'em... Know when to fold 'em.. You know the Kenny Rogers song.

I think the answer is you've got to shorten the game without being totally focused on simply running the clock down. IMO you have to take high percentage shots when they are available regardless of where your at in the shot clock if presented with the opportunity. Biggest thing is handling pressure and avoiding turnovers.

This game reminded me of UNI's melt-down against A&M in the tourney. It was the same sort of scenario....double digit lead with 2 mins or so to go and the team in the lead couldn't get out of it's own way....and it just sort of snowballs....

They couldn't handle the press the entire game. The difference is Iowa made their shots down the stretch that allowed them to set up the press. When you are missing shots, you can't set up the press, which was Iowa's best weapon last night.

It's like your quoting Jon and Steve's post-game reaction podcast. ;)

This game reminded me of UNI's melt-down against A&M in the tourney. It was the same sort of scenario....double digit lead with 2 mins or so to go and the team in the lead couldn't get out of it's own way....and it just sort of snowballs....
UNI was actually up by 12 with 35 seconds left in regulation. It was astonishing that they lost that game.

UNI was actually up by 12 with 35 seconds left in regulation. It was astonishing that they lost that game.

I knew there wasn't much time left, but couldn't remember how much. I just remember they couldn't even inbound the ball or get it past half court. But 35 seconds with a double digit lead is pretty bad! :)

Iowa's full court press had a lot to do with that. Didn't you watch the game?

NW doesn't have a true point guard and nobody that can handle the pressure. NW wasn't playing to not lose, they were playing to get the ball past the half court line. Besides, the pressure was on Iowa to make the plays and they did, the team made their last 7 shots of the game. That's almost unheard of!

I get trying to be the guy who thinks they have a better perspective than everyone else on a fan board but your take is bad and it's flat out wrong. Give the team that won the game some credit.
He's not entirely incorrect, when they did get the ball across half court they ran the clock down to 10 before even starting to run an offense, I remember at least 3 occasions where they did that. Honestly I think it was you who didn't watch it. While the press was a major factor, NW absolutely tried to bleed the clock, as they should have. Dribbling the ball at half court is not the way to do that though, passing the ball around the key while still trying to find an open look is much better. You're both right, but at least he didn't insult you claiming your take was flat out wrong.

He's not entirely incorrect, when they did get the ball across half court they ran the clock down to 10 before even starting to run an offense, I remember at least 3 occasions where they did that. Honestly I think it was you who didn't watch it. While the press was a major factor, NW absolutely tried to bleed the clock, as they should have. Dribbling the ball at half court is not the way to do that though, passing the ball around the key while still trying to find an open look is much better. You're both right, but at least he didn't insult you claiming your take was flat out wrong.

Yes, when they actually did get the ball over the half court line they did try to run some clock. But that's not much different than Northwesterns normal offense. They only average 68.2 points per game, so it's a slow offense to begin with.

Yep, agreed. +15 and 4 minutes to go, you start working clock. Quick-shooting adds opportunities for the opponent, possible run outs and quick baskets, etc. That can lead to a quick 10-0 run and all the sudden you've got a game.

What I don't agree with, is when I've seen coaches run clock in a one possession game and still a couple minutes left instead of executing the offense and working for a good shot. I remember Tom Davis running "the wheel" in those situations.. and it cost us games.

It's all about understanding time and score. You gotta know when to hold 'em... Know when to fold 'em.. You know the Kenny Rogers song.

I pretty much agree with this. But I will say that when you are in a one possession game with a couple minutes left, your odds of winning aren't much higher than 50%. So to say any decision "cost them the game" is a bit misleading.