Billy Gillispie

Hawk94

I wanted to see what people here thought about Billy Gillispie if a new coach is needed. He has a proven track record for developing teams, turning around programs, recruiting and having drinking problems. He appears to have worked on the drinking part and the others seem to be a good fit for Iowa.

He has already made the big jump from building 2 programs to a powerhouse and it did not go well. Because of his Kentucky experience I think he would likely stay around for an extended period of time if he got the job done well at Iowa.

I know that there has been some who have said he would be a bad fit in the past but I am curious of the reasons. I know I would take him before Altman, Keno Davis, Steve Lavin and likely Gregory from Dayton. Pearl would be ahead of Gillispie but I can not see that happening.

Last edited:
I really like Gillespie.

It does appear he has taken care of the alcohol issues and at some point, sooner than later, he will be back in coaching again.

He tutored under Bill Self at Illinois, then was very successful at UTEP and went to Texas A & M and did a fabulous job there.

I do think though manay in Iowa would not approve of him because of the past drinking issues but he would be a very solid coach here.

The guy can flat-out recuit.

Nobody can doubt his ability to coach or recruit or build a program. If he has taken care of his issues, that is a walk off home run hire.

Incorrect...he was fired after a 20 win season and was 5 or 6 games over .500.

Aside from John Wall, KY is doing alright with his guys...

Yeah, I'm not sure how many of UK's big performers were recruited by Calipari this year, and how many were BG's, but Gillispie turned around A&M and won a fairly high clip there, in the Big XII. I'd certainly like it if he was at least on Barta's list. I think he may be worth the gamble.

The Iowa fans rallied around Ed P. when he chose to seek help for his problem and it sounds like Gillespie has also changed. If so it's only a matter of time until some school makes a great hire. As another poster said. "Gillespie may have changed but his detractors haven't." Some people are going to hold his past against him forever.

The other great thing about a BG hire is we don't have to wait until the tournament is over. He can come in, and implement his system during the spring practices (since teams can practice through Monday of the NC game), and can get a leg up on retaining the recruits...

He is now my #1, for this reason, for what little that may be worth

Not only that ESOX, but he also doesn't have a ton of leverage...

I am sure a contract would have something written into it about any alcohol related arrests being a for cause termination (ie. no buyout.)

Upside is that this guy has finally gotten himself together and Iowa just hired an absolute MARQUEE coach.

Downside is that he gets himself in trouble, Iowa is able to fire him with cause, and in the 1-2 years he was at Iowa, probably repaired the job enough for someone to come in and not lose a step.

I'll take the upside on this guy.

The Iowa fans rallied around Ed P. when he chose to seek help for his problem and it sounds like Gillespie has also changed. If so it's only a matter of time until some school makes a great hire. As another poster said. "Gillespie may have changed but his detractors haven't." Some people are going to hold his past against him forever.
There's a bit of a difference between a coach and a color commentator (Bobby Hansen had an issue as well) with the this issue. However, I agree that everyone can make a mistake and some people will never forgive or forget. I think most folks deserve a second (and possibly) a third chance if it is shown that they are trying to change for the better. Coach Lickliter tried to give Tucker those chances as well. We are all human.

I am not sure if BG would be successful here or not if given the chance. It would be an interesting choice.

Gillespe didnt win at Kentuky. Why would he win at Iowa.

Do your research first before making such statements.

Gillispie inherited a lean amount of talent from Tubby Smith and had to play with that his first year at Kentucky. Gillispie then was at Kentucky only one more year (winning 20 games) beyond that before they fired him.

Haydens-This thread has made a pretty compelling case for BG. Why the vague "Uh No?"

Cuz he didn't want to say "Uh Yes!"...duh...:p

I think Gillispie would be an interesting hire...I wouldn't scratch him off of my short list because of his past problems, if he's worked them out.

I think Gillispie would be a good hire, as would some others. I don't like it when people use the "he has baggage" as a reason not to hire him. The last 3 coaches we had didn't have baggage and have turned out great:rolleyes: We need someone to recruit and if that person had some problems in the past so be it. Tomorrow's a new day.

BG is available right now so if he was Barta's target why wouldn't he just pull the trigger now?? If BG isn't the coach by next week he's not a candidate.

Last edited:

Latest posts