Bill Snyder reportedly wants Sean Snyder as replacement

that just can't happen either. come on...nepotism is illegal for a reason. it isn't fair and it ruins morale.
I don't think that Iowa has any nepotism laws other than for elected officials (could be wrong on that) but most employers have nepotism policies in place.

Since the AD, not Snyder, would technically be making the hire then they can get around the nepotism. In our situation, Brian reports to Barta, not Kirk. I'm not sure how they handled the hiring and then promotion of Brian. I would think that Kirk suggests who he wants then Barta extends the offer but I have no idea.

Here is a link to the UofI's web page about nepotism.
https://opsmanual.uiowa.edu/human-resources/conflict-interest-employment-nepotism

Keno Emlen Davis (born March 10, 1972) is an American college basketball coach who is the current men's basketball head coach at Central Michigan University. Davis was previously head coach at Drake University for one season (2007–2008), where he was named the 2008 Associated Press College Basketball Coach of the Year, and at Providence College for three seasons (2008-2011). Davis also served as an assistant coach at Drake from 2003–2007 under his father Tom Davis prior to starting his coaching career.

head coaching record of .524

Anyone else got examples of sons following their fathers?

In basketball Eddie Sutton, Bob Knight, both sons were disasters. Other coaches have started careers or had stints with their parents teams, like the Bowden boys, then get head coaching gigs at other schools.

I don't think that Iowa has any nepotism laws other than for elected officials (could be wrong on that) but most employers have nepotism policies in place.

Since the AD, not Snyder, would technically be making the hire then they can get around the nepotism. In our situation, Brian reports to Barta, not Kirk. I'm not sure how they handled the hiring and then promotion of Brian. I would think that Kirk suggests who he wants then Barta extends the offer but I have no idea.

https://opsmanual.uiowa.edu/human-resources/conflict-interest-employment-nepotism
71.1 Employments prohibited. It shall hereafter be unlawful for any person elected or appointed to any public office or position under the laws of the state or by virtue of the ordinance of any city in the state, to appoint as deputy, clerk, or helper in said office or position to be paid from the public funds, any person related by consanguinity or affinity, within the third degree, to the person elected, appointed, or making said appointment, unless such appointment shall first be approved by the officer, board, council, or commission whose duty it is to approve the bond of the principal; provided this provision shall not apply in cases where such person appointed receives compensation at the rate of six hundred dollars per year or less, nor shall it apply to persons teaching in public schools, nor shall it apply to the employment of clerks of members of the general assembly. [C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, §1166; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, §71.1] Approving officers and boards, §64.19 Computation of degrees, §4.1(4)

I am not a lawyer, but as I read that it looks as though in Iowa as long as an "officer, board, council, or commission" approves of or makes the hire then there's nothing illegal about nepotism.

Keno Emlen Davis (born March 10, 1972) is an American college basketball coach who is the current men's basketball head coach at Central Michigan University. Davis was previously head coach at Drake University for one season (2007–2008), where he was named the 2008 Associated Press College Basketball Coach of the Year, and at Providence College for three seasons (2008-2011). Davis also served as an assistant coach at Drake from 2003–2007 under his father Tom Davis prior to starting his coaching career.

I think Richard Pitino is as huge a sleaze ball as his dad, if that counts as sons following their fathers.

in the real world, that's nepotism 101.

Offhand, the only one I can really remember is Joey Meyer taking over for Ray Meyer at Depaul (basketball). The younger Meyer was given quite some time but could never come close to matching his father's success.

I must be the only one with different experience on this. I deal with several 2nd and even 3rd generation family operated business. It is much more common than many on here are making it out to be. Not only are the common, they are typically well run.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-better-than-the-rest/?utm_term=.2618d23fb3c0

That’s the conclusion from a report issued this week by Credit Suisse. The report, surveying the principal members of 900 family-owned firms found that these firms made more money, generated more cash and generally performed better in the financial markets than their non-family-owned counterparts.

“Over time, family-owned companies very structurally outperform in every region, every sector, and for small and larger companies,” Eugene Klerk, head analyst of thematic investments at Credit Suisse, told CNBC.

I must be the only one with different experience on this. I deal with several 2nd and even 3rd generation family operated business. It is much more common than many on here are making it out to be. Not only are the common, they are typically well run.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-better-than-the-rest/?utm_term=.2618d23fb3c0

That’s the conclusion from a report issued this week by Credit Suisse. The report, surveying the principal members of 900 family-owned firms found that these firms made more money, generated more cash and generally performed better in the financial markets than their non-family-owned counterparts.

“Over time, family-owned companies very structurally outperform in every region, every sector, and for small and larger companies,” Eugene Klerk, head analyst of thematic investments at Credit Suisse, told CNBC.

No, you are not the one. I can point to a million examples of this. F***, we all can.

Public sector people able to appoint their relatives as their successor?
Wasn't this country founded to get away from a European aristocracy?
Thank you George Bush junior/Jerry Brown for reminding us why the public sector should be a meritocracy

This is what happens when the son loses it on the sidelines during the Kansas State - ISU game.

Latest posts