Bigten Power Rankings

Harpo

On the recently aired "Bigten Expansion" special, Gerry DiNardo listed his favored two division prediction. He stated he preferred equity of strength over geographical divisions.

In the next segment of the same show, Commish Delany was asked his view on divisions. He stated he agreed with DiNardo that equity of strength between the divisions was very important.

If equalizing divisional strength is important, let's rank the teams. Here is my take.

1. OSU (truth hurts)
2. PSU (owes RichRod a big wet kiss)
3. Nebraska (has to earn a higher ranking)
4. Michigan (truth really hurts – thanks RichRod)
5. Iowa (truth really, really ...)
6. Wisconsin
7. MSU
8. Northwestern (can hardly believe I put them this high)
9. Illinois (truth really, really, really... – until Zooker is fired)
10. Purdue
11. Minnesota
12. Indiana

I am certain everyone will agree!

I was ranking teams based on recent & traditional power for use in dividing teams into divisions, not predicting the rank of teams for the 2010 campaign.

For the record, I agree Iowa is the better team in 2010.

Can't really disagree with moving Michigan up one spot but I do think they are one team that is fun to "Kick" when their down (same true for Illini). Take away RichRod, and they are a strong #2 with consideration for #1.

I cannot agree with Iowa above Nebraska. Except for a couple of years in the distant past, last year and this year, they definitely have more traditional power than Iowa.

Last edited:
So when is the last time PSU beat Iowa??!?! Haha I know besides losing to us, they have been better overall except last year.

I think the future (this year) sets up better for us though. There is no question nebraska has a better past, but the last decade is essentially even.

You could probably mix PSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, Nebraska and Iowa any way you want. All could contend for the Big Ten any given year.

You could probably mix PSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, Nebraska and Iowa any way you want. All could contend for the Big Ten any given year.

Isn't that a cool thing. That makes for a great conference. Nebraska fits in perfectly. They don't drag down the conference, nor do they dominate.

you people are crazy, Michigan is the most all-time winning program, there not going to ignore that just cause they sucked lately. They'll be back, i'd probably put michigan #1 ohio state 1B or 2. If your just talking about lately Iowa would be #2. Honestly it's
1A Mich
1B OSU
3A PSU
3B Nebby
5A Iowa
5b Wisky
7A MSU
7B Ill
9 Minn
10 NW
11 Ind

you people are crazy, Michigan is the most all-time winning program, there not going to ignore that just cause they sucked lately. They'll be back, i'd probably put michigan #1 ohio state 1B or 2. If your just talking about lately Iowa would be #2. Honestly it's
1A Mich
1B OSU
3A PSU
3B Nebby
5A Iowa
5b Wisky
7A MSU
7B Ill
9 Minn
10 NW
11 Ind

was going to say michigan was hard to beat for many years

Michigan will return to their glory days 3-4 years after they exorcise RichRod. Until then, they pay the price for their coaching hire. No way they rate above OSU until they prove they can beat them at least every once in a while.

IMHO, I think RichRod is doing more to destabilize Michigan football than just five or ten good recruits can cure.

Penn State shouldn't get such a high rating. When JoePa steps down, they aren't going to be PENN STATE anymore.

1A Mich
1B OSU
3A PSU
3B Nebby
5A Iowa
5b Wisky
7A MSU
7B Ill
9 Minn
10 NW
11 Ind

This is the most accurate.

I don't know how to judge the power rankings, however I dont agree w/ Michigan up that high, my reason Bill Calahan beat them in the 2005 Alamo Bowl, just a thought is all. Our worst records in over 40 years and he still managed to pull off an upset with that team, craziest ending of a game I had ever seen.

Last edited:

Latest posts