big12D

Stats of Big 12 defenses are not awesome because:stats of Big 12 offenses are awesome. Most Big 12 defenses are susceptible to the run (except former Nebby) because:most Big 12 offenses pass so well. Now, Iowa's defense:wasn't good against the run or pass this season.

Or visa versa minus the last sentence.

And the Iowa D did improve quite a bit.... how much is certainly as debatable as the B12 Defense / offense chicken and egg argument.

Or as debatable as the reasons for the inception of this thread.

Refresh me train, in which games was Iowa's defense good against the run?
I remember Michigan, a former spread team. And... and... I can't think of any other team.

Show me the stats about offenses, draw your conclusions on that.

Here's a stat: Washington came in ranked something like #60 in the nation in total offense-- one slot behind Iowa State. Baylor made them look like a Boise State/Oregon hybrid.

Also, if you're planning to crow about the Big 12's bowl record, you should probably note that in their 8 bowl games they are matched against exactly two top-25 teams: Oklahoma State vs. #4 Stanford and Kansas State vs. #7 Arkansas.

The Big Ten has 10 bowl games and 6 of the opponents are ranked: #19 Oklahoma, #20 Houston, #10 South Carolina, #18 Georgia, #6 Oregon, and #17 Virginia Tech.

I don't know how the records will shake out, but that's a pretty huge disparity in terms of strength of schedule.

That's pretty much the norm for the B10 opponents. They probably have the best bowl affiliation of all the conferences. As a result, they usually end up playing against higher ranked teams...especially when they get 2 into BCS games, which typically is the case.

Here's a stat: Washington came in ranked something like #60 in the nation in total offense-- one slot behind Iowa State. Baylor made them look like a Boise State/Oregon hybrid.

Also, if you're planning to crow about the Big 12's bowl record, you should probably note that in their 8 bowl games they are matched against exactly two top-25 teams: Oklahoma State vs. #4 Stanford and Kansas State vs. #7 Arkansas.

The Big Ten has 10 bowl games and 6 of the opponents are ranked: #19 Oklahoma, #20 Houston, #10 South Carolina, #18 Georgia, #6 Oregon, and #17 Virginia Tech.

I don't know how the records will shake out, but that's a pretty huge disparity in terms of strength of schedule.

So, the big 10's bowl line up is just like every big XII school's regular season schedule?

If U schedule patsies all year and your conference isn't very good, you're not gonna fair well come bowl season. The big ten's body of work over the past decade is a prime example of this.

And as far as playing defense goes... Just win baby! I'd much rather watch a track meet than 5-2 snoozefest any day

So, the big 10's bowl line up is just like every big XII school's regular season schedule?

If U schedule patsies all year and your conference isn't very good, you're not gonna fair well come bowl season. The big ten's body of work over the past decade is a prime example of this.

And as far as playing defense goes... Just win baby! I'd much rather watch a track meet than 5-2 snoozefest any day

So you are claiming the Big 12 teams played some magically tough non conference schedules compared to the Big Ten? The non conference schedules look pretty comparable to me, most teams playing one other BCS team and then some patsies with the exception of a few teams like Iowa and ISU playing 2 non conference BCS teams. The Big Ten just has one additional non conference game due to the Big 12 playing an extra conference game. And I know the Big 12 was known for such tough out of conference scheduling that teams like K State have done in the past.

The B12 is good, AND they have some very favorable matchups.

North Carolina
Washington
and yes, Iowa

It has been stated many times before and this year is no different. The big10 teams most often play higher ranked/rated teams in bowls than sec or big12. Yeah it is great to have a winning overall conference bowl record but you have to look at each individual game.

Considering the Big 12 for the most part is a hurry up offense and throws more, the Big 12 teams will run more offensive plays, and gain more yards. Passing equates to larger yardage totals on the aggregate, and lengthens games creating more possessions.

In 3 games this bowl season the Big 12 is a push defensively. Texas exceeded their typical play by shutting down Cal's offense, Mizzou met their typical numbers, and Baylor under performed compared to their averages.

We'll see who finishes bowl season with a better record. Big 12 already 3-0, and likely 5-0 after today.

Your conference also plays down in bowl games. #12 Baylor vs a 7-5 Wash. #14 OU vs a 7-5 Iowa...with potential matchups like that I'd hope you finish with a winning slate.

Latest posts