Big10 Expansion: FOX vs ESPN\ABC and CBS?

I've been wondering all along if this is truly about FOX possibly cornering the tv market share...

Timeline:
1. ESPN and Big Ten have a nice tv deal
2. SEC starts getting better, ESPN gives them more time slots and taking away from Big Ten
3. Delany tells ESPN that Big Ten will create it's own network, ESPN laughs and gives more money to SEC as well as Big 12. PAC 10 gets ABC night time games via ESPN.
4. Big Ten and Fox create a deal for Big Ten network
5. Viewership drops for ESPN a tad as Big Ten network starts getting better around 11 AM thru 4:30 PM time slots. Fox is very happy, ESPN a tad concerned.
6. Big Ten is now in power as it is a presitgious conference but also a tv network with partnership through FOX.

Now why would the Big Ten and Pac 10 not want to hurt each other in this expansion? Possibly because of the Big Ten keeping it's tv network time slot and the Pac Ten creating a new time slot after Big Ten games are done. Effectively causing viewers to switch from watching ESPN or CBS or ABC games to watch football on the West Coast via the new Pac Ten network.
Pac Ten Commission Larry Scott is smart like Delany in that he wants to spread the network over to Asia - thus generating more income.

With Fox working with the Big Ten network and the Pac 10 I see the Big Ten then grabbing:
1. 1 Big East School for sure (Syracuse, Rutgers, or Connecticut) to obtain that New York market and be in ESPN's backyard.
2. Whomever else which would make the Big Ten better academically and athletically.

This would cause ESPN to be hurt financially as the viewership would be from the East Coast (where football isn't that great (ACC as an example)) and the SEC but the South only cares about what happens in the South and no where else. Which is a red flag for networks.

This would then allow Fox to have half of the nation watching college football on their networks on Saturdays to come.

If NBC was smart, they would tell Notre Dame to join the Big Ten so this way NBC could finangle a deal with FOX to broadcast not only ND games but also Big Ten and PAC 10 games.

ABC would not like this as they have tradition with the Big Ten and PAC 10 and just think of how they would negotiate with the two conferences to showcase their games. Um, can someone say night games only for Big Ten and Pac Ten games on ABC?

Cha-ching - it's all about the money folks.

Murdoch is NOT doing a deal with NBC. Murdoch is about his own media mega-organization. He finds ways to corner a specific market and then capitalizes. He often works his way in through a limited avenue and then makes enough money that he is able to end up buying his competitors. In other words, he is the God of narrowcasting.

While people get concerned about his politics and see his Fox News Channel as an arm of the Republican Party, what you really have to understand is that he saw a gap in the media landscape and filled that gap. He filled it so well that his network became the number one cable news network and has no viable competitor.

He wants to do the same with college sports. What is significant about college sports? Interest in certain teams is concentrated fairly narrowly in the area around universities and regions, unless you are talking about a select few big games. While NBC's broadcast of ND football reaches more national houses than BTN broadcasts of B10 football, the concentration of viewers in any specific region is higher on the BTN than on NBC. This helps with cable contracts and allows for more specified advertising.

Remember, while the BTN made 22 million for each of it's teams last year, it made over 200 million for Fox. An expanded Big Ten and a 16 Team Pac Ten look to make Fox somewhere around a billion a year.

Last edited:
I don't mind having Fox do the games, but I absolutely hate all their stupid regional networks. I have DirecTV, and there are a gazillion stupid Fox sports channels that I want to watch, but don't get.

I did not realize the FOX was the owner of the BTN. Now they are going to set up a PAC Ten Network? Smart move by FOX.

Latest posts