Big XII wants $28 million from A&M

Yikes. that seems likes extortion. Unless A&M was dumb enough to sign into a deal with the new league that allowed them to levy whatever penalties they wanted. then they are just dumb.

They'd be stupid not to try to squeeze everything they can out of aTm. For all the dumb things the conference has done, this isn't one of them.

They'd be stupid not to try to squeeze everything they can out of aTm. For all the dumb things the conference has done, this isn't one of them.

I agree, but don't you think this type of thing came up in discussions last year? How stupid would A&M be if they agree to this just a year ago to hold the conf together and then try to bail afterwards.

aTm sorta gave a handshake agreement that no one else would leave after Neb and Col last year. This is slightly the Big Xii's fault for not automatically upping the buyout amount to astronomical proportions, say 100 mil or so.

aTm sorta gave a handshake agreement that no one else would leave after Neb and Col last year. This is slightly the Big Xii's fault for not automatically upping the buyout amount to astronomical proportions, say 100 mil or so.

Agreed. Though aTm probably wouldn't have signed on to that.

aTm should just say "no" let it ride. they should be able to fight that since Nebby and Colorado each gave 1 year and paid considerably less.

That's tripled what Nebraska paid and quadrupled what Colorado paid for exit fees. My favorite comment at the end was that if A&M gave ISU that $28 million, Texas would still outspend them by $33 million. :eek:

Texas A&M wants lower exit fee from Big 12 - CBSSports.com

It is going to be hard for the Big 12 to get the $28M, in lieu of the fact that in the past they gave NE and CO significantly better terms. The Big 12 could take A&M to court, but I have a feeling that A&M can show cause for exiting because of the actions of others and the terms for remaining in the conference were to vague.

It is going to be hard for the Big 12 to get the $28M, in lieu of the fact that in the past they gave NE and CO significantly better terms. The Big 12 could take A&M to court, but I have a feeling that A&M can show cause for exiting because of the actions of others and the terms for remaining in the conference were to vague.
Remember when KU, KSU, ISU, and I believe Baylor offered up their portion of the buyout from Colorado and Nebraska to the big guns in the conference? OU and UT declined to take the money. Guess who did take it? A/M. Let them pay the massive buyout after that bit of horse hockey last year. Terms are terms, and the negotiated buyouts last year mean nothing to this years situation.

Remember when KU, KSU, ISU, and I believe Baylor offered up their portion of the buyout from Colorado and Nebraska to the big guns in the conference? OU and UT declined to take the money. Guess who did take it? A/M. Let them pay the massive buyout after that bit of horse hockey last year. Terms are terms, and the negotiated buyouts last year mean nothing to this years situation.

The Big 12 will settle for less. There obviously was ambiguity at the time of the initial commitment. The LHN obviously was an area that wasn't clearly spelled out.

As I understand it, part or all of the difference is that Nebraska and Colorado gave more than one year's notice (barely) that they were leaving. Texas A&M is giving less than one year's notice, and the penalty in that situation is significantly higher.

If all they had was a handshake deal, then I would say that is all they could get was a handshake deal. IE the Big12 knew if they were going to try to impose stiff penalties for leaving then Texas, A&M, Missouri, Oklahoma all would have had a problem with it, and would have blown up the whole arrangement last year. I doubt the penalty is much higher than Nubby or Colorado in the end.

That's tripled what Nebraska paid and quadrupled what Colorado paid for exit fees. My favorite comment at the end was that if A&M gave ISU that $28 million, Texas would still outspend them by $33 million. :eek:

Texas A&M wants lower exit fee from Big 12 - CBSSports.com

Should have left last year instead of playing this song and dance. Whatever, screw em all.

A&M will tell the Texas Commissioner (I mean the Big 12 Commissioner) that the "check is in the mail." They will pay about what NE and CO paid and walk away.

IF Texas objects then the conference will fight A&M; if not, then A&M just walks with about the same penalty.

The Texas Commissioner will decide based on what Texas tells him to do.

Jamie, sitting in the back row by himself, will raise his hand for a half hour and wait for the Texas Commissioner to call on him. After he voices his question/opinion, the Texas Commissioner just says, "thank you for your question Jaimie" and the Commissioner and other major players go back to their previous conversation and pay no attention to isu. Jaimie then sits there shaking his head up and down like a bobble head agreeing to anything they tell him to agree to.

As an Iowa State fan i depressingly have to agree with that however Jamie Pollard is a very behind the scenes person i.e last summer was the man that got Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, and Kansas State into the Big East had the Big 12 blown up. Hopefully that happens sometime just because I want to see the basketball season and ISU does very well recruiting on the east coast for basketball.

As an Iowa State fan i depressingly have to agree with that however Jamie Pollard is a very behind the scenes person i.e last summer was the man that got Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, and Kansas State into the Big East had the Big 12 blown up. Hopefully that happens sometime just because I want to see the basketball season and ISU does very well recruiting on the east coast for basketball.
pollard should work to get the forgotten 4 a new home while he can.

I'd pay the money and get out ASAP. They'll have a better chance at going to a better (more stable) conference than if they wait. Big XII is going to go up in smoke within the next two years and then it'll be a mad scramble to land in an "elite" conference.
IMO

The Big East would be the softest landing spot for Iowa State if the B12 blew up. But if this happens ISU would still be looking at a significant drop in revenue. How does the athletic budget look these days? I remember a few years ago ISU had to drop baseball since the athletic department was having financial difficulties. Can your athletic department afford another big hit or would they have to consider dropping additional programs in order to balance the budget?

Also, what becomes of your wrestling program? I do not think the Big East offers wrestling. Is your wrestling program self sustaining? I know most ppl on this board do not care about wrestling but even as a Hawkeye fan I would hate to see ISU have to consider cutting wrestling.

IMO, the best scenario for ISU is for Pollard to get down on his hands and knees to beg the Texas & Oklahoma presidents into keeping the B12 together. They need to go out and replace these schools that have left (TCU, BYU, SMU, Houston, ect ect) and figure out a way for the B12 to work. IMO, if the B12 blows up I think it will have disastrous results for ISU even if they do get into the Big East.

I mean this as no disrespect to those four schools, but if that happened, the big east would be the biggest cluster f--- of a conference. One texas school, four midwest schools, and a bunch of schools that don't even have division one football teams or that don't play big east football. It's almost comical to think of, but I guess it would be good for isu and ksu.

ISU needs to pack their bags and head to the MWC or similar. You have a good hoop team, a chitty football team and a great rasslin' program.

If the MWC could land a few 'better' schools in bigger markets then they could conceivably be able to negotiate better TV contracts and possibly even a guaranteed bid to the BCS.

Lets face it. ISU isn't going to play in the Big10. The Big12 is going to go away sooner or later. The PAC12 is geographically located in the SW and W part of the country. Every team in the conference is in the Pacific Time Zone. The WAC and MWC have 8 teams a piece with plenty of room to expand. The MWC should add ISU and KSU to get to 10 teams.

Latest posts