Big test for Vandy

ChixWings

Good quarterbacks have to find a way to win on the road. I believe in JV, but you don't want to head into your last year having not won on the road. You know Purdue will be loading up the box.

Do you think he will step up and lead us to a win?

I believe in Vandy plus he's due right? I think he has a good game, west Lafayette isn't as hostile of a place as isu, happy valley or minny, hopefully he can show some composure

Minny ain't that hostile.

I HOPE VDB can step up, but there is no way to predict VDB or this hawkeye team. They could be very good or horrible. Who knows?

They have been horrible on the road this year so far, so that's why I think it's likely that they'll lose. But, as I said, they're wildly unpredictable. Go hawks.

Vandy isn't quite the QB that Iowa fans were hoping he would be.

The Iowa coaching staff will again play not to lose and do exactly that...lose.

Vanderbilt has a new head coach and a rejuvenated fan base. They are making waves with their physical brand of football in the relatively weak SEC East Division. This week they are on the road at in-state rival Tennessee in what amounts to a bowl eligibility playoff game. The atmosphere is going to be electric in Knoxville this weekend.

Vanderbilt has a new head coach and a rejuvenated fan base. They are making waves with their physical brand of football in the relatively weak SEC East Division. This week they are on the road at in-state rival Tennessee in what amounts to a bowl eligibility playoff game. The atmosphere is going to be electric in Knoxville this weekend.

It's Tennessee's senior day. They only have 14 seniors, but you would have to think pride will be at stake for a group that has had a really tough 4-years.

The Commodores are at the nautical equivalent of a crossroads? They have to games left and need one to return to bowl eligibility for the first time in years. Tough road trips to Tennessee and Wake Forest are all that stand in the way of Vanderbilt and a potential trip to the BBVA Compass Bowl.

Vandy isn't quite the QB that Iowa fans were hoping he would be.

The Iowa coaching staff will again play not to lose and do exactly that...lose.

REALLY?

2,351 yds
20 TD
5 Int
60% Comp%

I don't know what you were expecting, but that's pretty solid

The coaches need to help JVB with scripting high percentage, quick throws in the first quarter. It would be nice for the coaches to give JVB a few stationary targets early on, quick hitches to mcnutt and davis, some 5 yard sit down patterns to tight ends. Throw the short out to mcnutt until they come up to stop it. High percentage throws and JVB and the hawks will be off to the races.

The coaches need to help JVB with scripting high percentage, quick throws in the first quarter. It would be nice for the coaches to give JVB a few stationary targets early on, quick hitches to mcnutt and davis, some 5 yard sit down patterns to tight ends. Throw the short out to mcnutt until they come up to stop it. High percentage throws and JVB and the hawks will be off to the races.

What happened to the scripted plays they used to run earlier in the decade? That seemed more often than not to get the team off on the right foot or at least get the offense confident.

I heard podolak on radio saying they still run about 15 scripted plays early on to see how the opponent will line up and adjust. I really question that KOK knows what to do sometimes with the information he gets from the opponents response. Stanzi and JVB have thrown alot of quick stop and out patterns to mcnutt, DJK, and davis early on in games and then they hardly throw it the rest of game. What an easy 5 to 10 yards when the opponent is giving it to you.

And it seems KOK hardly ever really sets up an out and up deep pattern with his short passing game.

I am hardly a JVB apologist, but how many times in the past have his receivers failed him in big moments? If the coaches were really diligent, then they would keep Keenan Davis away from the big tub of crisco he smothers himself in before every game.

Vandy will break out on the road and establish himself this weekend. He will complete the throws all over the field, and will show confidence on the road that we have yet to see. Big game for Vandy and big game for the Hawks.

Next week's discussion will be focusing on whether he can repeat that kind of performance in Lincoln...a much more optimistic tone than has been found around here this week.

remember vandys first ever road game @ Ohio state? he is totally capable of keeping his composure. what a game

IF Ferentz sets JV up for success, I have no doubt he can win this game. I am asking for JV to come out in the hurry up from the very onset and keep him there instead of yanking him back n forth from shotgun to under center. I believe it is as simple as that to a degree. If we see him under center more than he is in shotgun, it will be up to someone else or a couple of others to step up a great deal to win this one.

Latest posts