Big Ten's bowl season stats

PJHawk

"While 4-3 might not seem world beating, the close scores obscured shocking domination on a down-to-down basis:

Wisconsin outgained Miami 430-249 and held the ball for almost 40 minutes.

Penn State held LSU to nine first downs and outgained them 340-243. they also held the ball for nearly 40 minutes.

Ohio State outgained Oregon 419-260, more than doubled the Ducks in first downs, and held the ball for over 40 minutes.

Iowa outgained Georgia Tech 403-155 and also more than doubled GT's first downs.

The only fluke in the Big Ten's bowl season is that they didn't blow out those four top 15 opponents. The four winners obliterated the opposition. "

The Big Ten\'s Death Has Been Greatly Exaggerated - Brian Cook - The Sporting Blog - Sporting News

Good info.

One thing that seems to get overlooked every year is the Big Ten's SOS. The Pac Ten had played (I believe) four bowl games by December 29th and the Big Ten was just getting started.

The Big 10 was the second best conference in CFB this year. They deserve all of the respect in the world, and they are not that far behind the SEC.

The Big 10 was the second best conference in CFB this year. They deserve all of the respect in the world, and they are not that far behind the SEC.

As far as this season goes (except for Fla and Bama?) the BT is not behind the SEC at all.

As far as this season goes (except for Fla and Bama?) the BT is not behind the SEC at all.

The SEC has won the last 4 titles in a row. I judge a conference by how their best teams play, and the SEC has the #1 and the #3 team. Until some other conference can claim dominace like that, the SEC is still the big dog. No doubt about it.

I judge a conference by how their best teams play

That's rather myopic on your part but to each his own. The SEC east (minus Fla) was just plain average/bad this year. The SEC west (minus Bama) fared somewhat better but it didn't take Ole Miss too long to show how over-ranked they were to begin the season.

Last edited:
That's rather myopic on your part but to each his own. The SEC east (minus Fla) was just plain average/bad this year. The SEC west (minus Bama) fared somewhat better but it didn't take Ole Miss too long to show how over-ranked they were to begin the season.

Both conferences have 4 teams in the final top 25. I will admit the SEC was pretty weak outside of UF, Bama, LSU, and Ol Miss, but you also have to acknowledge the Big 10 was fairly brutal after OSU, PSU, Wisc, and Iowa.

The reason I think the Big 10 is the second best conference, by far, is the performance of their top teams. The reason I think the SEC is the best is because of the performance of their top teams.

Can't really argue with the 4 straight titles the SEC has won...give them their due...and then beat the crap out of them next year for the title, Hawkeyes...:D