Big Tens Best Rivalries

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Here was my list...in order...share yours, in order...try to take off the black and gold glasses as much as you can...I tried doing that, and Deace still thinks I am crazy with Iowa-MN at #3

1. Michigan-Ohio State
2. Minnesota-Wisconsin: Paul Bunyan’s Axe: the oldest and most played rivalry in Division I football; 119 meetings
3. Iowa-Minnesota: We know the history, and it’s an old rivalry
4. Minnesota-Michigan: The Little Brown Jug is the oldest traveling trophy in the league, and this was the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry game of the first half of the last century, but it’s not even protected now
5. Indiana-Purdue: The Old Oaken Bucket game goes back to 1925. There was more buzz then than now
6. Michigan-Michigan State: The Paul Bunyan Trophy dates back to the 1950’s, the rivalry much longer

The Hayden Fry, Bo Schembechler gamesmanship got Iowa-Michigan going in the 1980's, and it's been a decent rivalry since. Remember when Bo saw Iowa's imposter, long-snapper firing snaps over the punter's head in warmups and Coach Fry told Bo. "We don't plan on punting today!"

I understand taking the black and gold glasses off, but:

Iowa vs. Wisconsin is one that has grown over the last 20 yrs or so.
Iowa vs. Penn St. is turning into a nice rivalry over the past 10 yrs. or so
Iowa vs. Nebraska - Hopefully this is the newest one yet

I would argue that Iowa Wisky is bigger in the leage than Iowa Minny. The teams are better, and there is usually something on the line. I know we have cost them a big 10 title late in the year at least once in the last 10 years, and of course we clinched the b10 title at home against them one year.

I understand taking the black and gold glasses off, but:

Iowa vs. Wisconsin is one that has grown over the last 20 yrs or so.
Iowa vs. Penn St. is turning into a nice rivalry over the past 10 yrs. or so
Iowa vs. Nebraska - Hopefully this is the newest one yet

I agree that Iowa-Wisconsin is growing. Wisky coached by a former Hawkeye who still has a Tiger Hawk tat but won't show it and can barely utter the letters I-O-W-A, and apparently is somewhat of a jerk. EDIT: And seems to read these boards to find out about Iowa's latest recruits are to see who to pursue next.

In order of who I want the Hawkeyes to lay a beat-down on in any football season:

1) tOSU
2) Illinois
3) Wisconsin
4) Michigan
5) Penn State
6) Northwestern (but rising with a bullet)
7) Minnesota
8) Michigan State
9) Purdue
10) Indiana

When they join the conference Nebby will be my immediate No. 2, possibly vying for No. 1. I really would like to see this an end-of-season rivalry game for both programs.

Last edited:
Jon - what is your argument for placing IA-MN over IA-WI? The history behind Floyd? IA-WI is basically a deadheat after all these year (Iowa leads 42-41-2 I believe). Minnesota hasn't been a factor in CFB or B10 for over 50 years. Wisc and Iowa have been the past 30 years.

I would argue that Iowa Wisky is bigger in the leage than Iowa Minny. The teams are better, and there is usually something on the line. I know we have cost them a big 10 title late in the year at least once in the last 10 years, and of course we clinched the b10 title at home against them one year.

That was the same year, 2004. Wisc needed a Mich loss and a win over the Hawkeyes the last weekend of the year to secure B10 title. Both lost and Iowa came from seemingly nowhere to claim a share of the crown!

I agree. Was this not included because a trophy was just introduced to the rivalry?

I agree that Iowa-Wisconsin is growing. Wisky coached by a former Hawkeye who still has a Tiger Hawk tat but won't show it and can barely utter the letters I-O-W-A, and apparently is somewhat of a jerk. EDIT: And seems to read these boards to find out about Iowa's latest recruits are to see who to pursue next.

In order of who I want the Hawkeyes to lay a beat-down on in any football season:

1) tOSU
2) Illinois
3) Wisconsin
4) Michigan
5) Penn State
6) Northwestern (but rising with a bullet)
7) Minnesota
8) Michigan State
9) Purdue
10) Indiana

When they join the conference Nebby will be my immediate No. 2, possibly vying for No. 1. I really would like to see this an end-of-season rivalry game for both programs.
Hi Bret

I can't see Mich or Ohio St allowing the other to take down their goal posts

beating Penn St most of the decade doesn't make it a rivalry
: the act of rivaling : the state of being a rival : competition

Last edited:
Why is/was he so aghast at Iowa-MN being #3?

What was the score of that game 2 years ago? Like 50-0? ISU puts up a better fight than MINN does. Both teams need to show up year in and year out to be a rivalry, and the outcome needs to be in doubt before the game no matter what the records or rankings say. I don't think MINN really cares that much...

I would agree Iowa and Minnesota little high. The Iowa and Wisconsin game is a better game and more impact on bowls and recruits for sure. Plus listing other teams for a rival both sides must consider it one and no OSU or PSU fan woudl consider us a rival

Jon - what is your argument for placing IA-MN over IA-WI? The history behind Floyd? IA-WI is basically a deadheat after all these year (Iowa leads 42-41-2 I believe). Minnesota hasn't been a factor in CFB or B10 for over 50 years. Wisc and Iowa have been the past 30 years.

To be a 'great' rivalry I think you have to have history

To be a 'great' rivalry I think you have to have history

I agree with you Jon that great rivalries require quite a bit of history, but the Minnesota - Iowa game really has been so lopsided in recent history that it is difficult to even get excited about the game. I think a yearly rivalry with Nebraska is a game that may not have a lot of history, but would always provide an exciting atmosphere.

Iowa vs. Minny is pretty big. Lots of history there. It's been mostly one sided for quite a while now, but it's still tradition. Plus, Minny may be on the way to improving their program. This could be a good, competitive game in a few years. I'd rank this game pretty high.....

.....as I clean my gold colored glasses.....

The first choice is obvious.
Second is debatle, but I'm biased. It would be Iowa vs. Wisky, that game has meant a lot more to both sides in my lifetime compared to Iowa vs. Minney.
3rd would be Wisky vs. Minney.
4th MSU vs. UM
5th PSU vs OSU or Iowa vs. PSU
After that, I don't really care.

Plus, Minny may be on the way to improving their program. This could be a good, competitive game in a few years. I'd rank this game pretty high.....

.....as I clean my gold colored glasses.....

Really? I think they're getting worse. I think there's a 15% chance of Brewster returning next year. Then they start the cycle all over.

Latest posts