Big Ten: Team by Team Achilles Heels

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
On a year in, year out basis, most college football teams have a weakness or two. Seldom is the team that is fully loaded stout to stern and when you find a team like that in the Big Ten, they are typically in the national title hunt.

The 2008 Penn State team was one of those teams; stacked at nearly every position. An all conference quarterback, all league level tailback, seasoned receivers, three first team all conference offensive linemen, two NFL draft picks at defensive end, great linebackers and experienced on the back end. However, they fell one game short of the prize, losing at Iowa. The 2006 Ohio State Buckeyes were even better, and the 2002 Iowa Hawkeyes and Ohio State Buckeyes perhaps better still.

What are some of the Achilles heels for this year’s Big Ten season? Let’s take a look…first at The Contenders

PENN STATE: You can start at quarterback and spend significant time here. Will it be Newsome? McGloin? Jones? Will any of those three be able to make a difference when it counts? I have my doubts, but it’s tough to find a definitive fourth loss on their schedule. They have holes at TE, OL, DL, all three LB’s and an all league caliber punter to fill. I have faith in them to fill the gaps on defense, but I am not so sure at quarterback. And as you know, you cannot hide your quarterback in college football.

WISCONSIN: This is a Badger team that is loaded on offense, with arguably the best offensive line in the league. They may also boast the most balanced offensive attack in the league, too. However, on defense they lose O’Brien Schofield and his out of nowhere sacking abilities, and they lost more starters than they return. They led the Big Ten in scoring last year and will need to do that again this year if they are to make a serious run at a conference championship.

OHIO STATE: They return a boatload of starters, they always reload on defense and they have the most exciting player in the conference at the most crucial position in the game; quarterback Terrelle Pryor. While he was unleashed in the final game of the year last year, the impressive Rose Bowl win over Oregon, the Buckeyes pounded it out on the ground the five previous games, racking up at least 228 yards rushing in each contest. That’s more like Tressel-ball. Some want to compare Pryor to Vince Young at the same age; if anyone does that around you, tell them they are crazy. Pryor is good, but Young was in a different stratosphere, although each has an awkward throwing motion. OSU’s offensive line was a bit green last year and they have the experience this year, plus Herron and Saine at running backs. Their receiving corps may emerge into a dangerous group, but they don’t strike fear into you right now. To doubt their defense is at your peril. They might have the least question marks of any team in a BCS conference this year. I guess I’d say their schedule is their Achilles Heel, as they have to travel to Madison and Iowa City this year.

IOWA: Offensive line, and that’s about it…but that is a lot. The development of the offensive line will tell the tale at the end of the season. If they come along quickly and are proficient, then this team can win every game it plays. If they struggle early, they could have two losses by the time they leave Ann Arbor. I am confident everywhere else; they have the best overall skill position talent since the fabeled 2002 team and the defense might make a run at being the best of the Norm Parker era. They get Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Ohio State at home, to boot.

THE NEXT CUT

NORTHWESTERN: They return all five offensive linemen, but they lose QB Mike Kafka. Junior Dan Persa takes the reigns, and Iowa fans got a good look at him in Kinnick last fall. Yet, he still has a ways to go. Their defense has been a huge part of their success the last two years, but losing Corey Wootton, the heart and soul, will be a tough loss to overcome.

MICHIGAN: Simply put, they have had two of the worst defensive seasons in Michigan football history the last two years. They are unsettled at quarterback and they need new bodies in the running game. If their offense gets close to operating where Rich Rod wants it, they will score points. But that means that they will also give up yards and points because the defense will be on the field a lot. They allowed 27.5 ppg last year and over 170 rushing yards per game. Akron, Toledo, Ohio, La Tech were just some of the schools with better run defenses.

MICHIGAN STATE: They need to find a running game again, something they struggled with since the start of Big Ten play in 2008. Javon Ringer averaged less than 4.0 yards per carry in Big Ten play that year, and they were ranked in the low 70’s running the ball last year. It’s also a program that has just seemed to lack that killer instinct through the years, or you might call it heart.

TOO MANY HOLES TO FILL

PURDUE: This will be a popular pick as a breakout team or a sleeper. But they have an untested quarterback in a sophisticated offense, they have huge questions at running back and significant holes to fill on defense. They lost five games last year by less than 15 combined points, but the defense takes as step back and we’ll see how well Marve does at QB, and he is healing from an ACL from last summer, too.

INDIANA: They lost their outstanding pair of bookend defensive ends in Middleton and Kirlew. They return some experience on offense and their Pistol sets are unique. They were hammered by unfavorable officiating calls last year and probably deserved a fate better than what they received. But as Kirk Ferentz says, your record pretty much tells you what you are.

ILLINOIS: Nathan Scheelhasse will be a freshman quarterback starting for the Illini. They have new coordinators. Ron Zook is on his last leg at Illinois, and I sense this will be a tumultuous year in Champaign because when you are desperate, you have a quick hook and chemistry can go downhill fast. They have a good RB tandem in LeShoure and Ford, but they can’t stop the pass or the run.

MINNESOTA: What is it, nine starters lost on defense? More coordinators gone? Adam Weber still at quarterback? WR Eric Decker is gone, too? Trouble in Minneapolis. The biggest drama might be seeing how many tickets Iowa fans can score at The Bank.

I would agree 100% percent with your look at the Hawkeyes need that o-line too take off for a big season for sure.

Jon you may wat to check your fact/stats about Vince Young vs. Pryor. Vince Young was not exactly otherworldly until his red shirt Jr. year, Pryor's stats up until this point are actually as good or better.....

Vince Young through 2 yrs had ~3,000 yds passing and had 18-18 TD-Int, he had around 2,000 rushing yds and 25 TD's on the ground.
Terrelle Pryor through 2 yrs had a little over 3,000 passing yards 30-15 TD-Int and around 1,400 rushing yds and 13 TD's on the ground

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so excited for the B10 media days...and football to get back...looking forward to the subject matter being there to do two or three of these things a day.

PSU is going to lose a lot of games this year. Mark it down. They just don't have what they need to re-tool. With the fewest returning starters and the loss of pretty much all of the team's leadership from the last two years, I don't think Evan Royster can carry them. If they do as well as tOSU in 2004, I will be surprised. The schedule that was favorable last year, is less so now. Missing Wisky helps.

Wisky is a strange bird. The best rushing D and best scoring O from a year ago, but not beating anyone in conference with a winning record. Beating Miami was great, but that was hardly a great team. Borland is a superstar this year, I think, and JJ Watt is on the verge of becoming a monster. Consistency I would say is their weakness. They have to do better when it counts.

tOSU is a team that could be scary good. After the Purdue loss they changed from making Pryor into pro style QB and just ran the ball and they were awesome at it. The TO's decreased and they ran wild. I guess if we had to declare a weakness I would say that we don't really know if they can pass and come from behind to win. Can Pryor run a two minute drill? They did it in Madison two years ago (kind of) but failed vs Iowa and Purdue last year.

Iowa is a team that has two weaknesses right now. But before that, our DLine must improve. I wish people would stop reading the national press and see that we were "average" in the B11 last year in rush D and sacks. That comes with one of the best Pass D's. What does that mean? Teams ran on us and we didn't take out QB's. You can argue that we got pressure and QB's made bad decisions, but tOSU actually got to the QB, rather than just pressuring him. If we planted the QB on his butt two more times per game we would have led the nation in picks, as well.

Our O-Line re-tooling is well documented, so I will leave that, but don't underestimate the loss of Amari, Pat, and AJ. You could argue that they were the heart of the Pass D the last two years. Amari closing off one half of the field made the safety's job much easier. Pat and AJ combined for around 10 picks the last two years. They were awesome in coverage. The new LB's have big shoes to fill and Sash won't be able to cheat as much with Hyde being green.

NW under Pat F has been underestimated every year. They lack talent in general, but play as a greater force than the individual parts. Their biggest problem I guess is bringing new players into the D and consistency. Indy and NW seem to lose a game to a bad team early in the year. NW gets it going by late October, but those early losses can come back to haunt. Think Duke 2007, Syracuse 2009, and New Hampshire in 2006.

For the Mulvaerines, it has to be the Defense and the youth on offense still. Last year Roch Rod's boys put up points, but holy cow they gave them up in droves. Now they lose their two best defenders. The offense last year put up points early, but faded down the stretch. This is often a reflection of playing a lot of young guys who don't have the legs to grind it out. This year may be no different, as they could be opting for a different true frosh QB this year.

MSU's history tells us consistency is their greatest weakness, not talent, but this year the schedule is really broken into three parts and could break this team. Games 1-4 are pretty easy, with only ND being a potential obstacle. Then games 5-9 come along and they could be sunk. Only a home date with the Illini breaks up a brutal stretch of Wisky, at Michigan, at Iowa, and at NW. They might be below .500 when that is over. If so, will this be the MSU team that finally doesn't cave and gets to a decent bowl at 8-4?

Purdue has so many new faces and changes I guess the questions about the team is the issue. The schedule isn't easy, but isn't the hardest. I just don't know what to think about this team.

For Indy, I would say their offense is the biggest issue. Yes they bring back 10 starters, but last year they were 2nd in the league in TO margin, and only scored .3 points per game than the hapless Iowa offense. When the D is giving up 30 and you only score 20, and the turnovers are going your way, you have a terrible team masquerading as a bad team. While they might have not gotten a call vs Iowa and Michigan, to say that the "ball didn't bounce their way" over the course of the season just isn't true.

The Illini are starting the Zook Era version 1.4 or something. Replacing the O and D coaches every year might fool Ron Guenther into thinking Zook has it under control, but it allows for zero consistency and impedes player development. This team might only win one game (overall, not just in conference). S Illinois might take them. They late year trip to Fresno State will be the Zookster's swan song, if he hasn't already been fired.

Last year Minny was a pretty solid D with a pathetic excuse for an offense. Now they lose 9 starters AND Eric Decker. All the recruiting that Punky Brewster did three years ago and so few of those guys have broken into the defense before. If they don't re-tool now, then we will see a new coach to the North next year. It is a good thing they play in the same league as Indy and the Illini. They might get a couple of wins that way. But of course, they don't play Indy. Bad luck, I guess?

I saw Vince Young play, and I have seen Pryor play. I dont care about stats. They are not peers.
when did u see VY play? Pryor's career is half over, I'd wait a little while before saying they aren't peers. At this age Vince hadn't even started a full season. A little premature......at best.

Good early analysis,Jon.
NW also lost that d-tackle that face-masked Ricky on his injury play. He was good.
It is always interesting to see how teams fill their holes...sometimes they do not miss a beat and then returning vets have so-so years.

I predict a wild and wacky Big Ten season,with the champ having at least one loss.
OSU was a bit lucky that KF got conservative in that last minute or they lose two last year. Just watched that game again last week...we shoulda gambled..nothing to lose really.

Latest posts