Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

You have more info on this? Not that I do not believe you as I do. Something is going on with the wood or the quality of it as these bats shattering have been getting worse and worse and is dangerous.

The biggest difference is many MLB players have switched to maple because they think its harder and has more pop. When Ash breaks it tends to just shatter more in pieces or just split, hard to explain. But when Maple breaks it tends to be just a straight hard snap, clean cut...hence the barrel heads flying like what Colvin got stuck with. So the quality isn't necessarily worse than 20 years ago, its that 20+ years ago not to many guys were using maple so when they did break you didn't have the barrel head flying through the air very often.

The Ash Borer is one problem, even though like poster said less people are using ash. Sooner or later you have to believe some disease will find the maple trees and so on though just like the pines in colorado are dying. A MLB quality wood bat isn't cheap anymore either, you'll spend $90 + on a maple. So obviously a high school kid (especially a less talented one) will break a lot of bats and have more $$ tied up in them than just going with one metal bat that hits almost like a wood. I think the BBCOR was a good compromise. The more talented high school and college players who are real serious play in fall and summer wood leagues, for scouts obviously and its also just cool to play old school with a wood bat in your hand :D

random question - people state the BIG 10 schools can't compete - now, I admit I don't follow a lot of college baseball, but I remember when Wichita State was a powerhouse (not sure if they still are), and, yes they are not as far north as the B1G - what did they do to attract the stud players?

Baseball does not belong being played in the early spring. The NCAA needs to go to wooden bats and play later into the summer. By changing to wooden bats it eliminates the need for all these summer leagues and makes them more ready to compete in the minor leagues. If this happened I think you would see schools in the B1G take off and be more competitive.

Nailed it again ssc.

I've really have never understood why College Baseball started so early. I mean seriously they have played 18 games already and winter officially ended last weekend.

Iowa will play 41 regular season games and just 19 will be at home.

College baseball is fine the way it is. Why is the Big 10 trying to make itself even less relevant in this sport? This seems like the way of the XFL.

College baseball is fine the way it is. Why is the Big 10 trying to make itself even less relevant in this sport? This seems like the way of the XFL.

The Big Ten is already irrelevant. They're trying to give themselves a product they can actually market to recruits and fans: baseball played at home in nice weather. Right now they have neither relevance nor entertainment value.

The Big Ten is already irrelevant. They're trying to give themselves a product they can actually market to recruits and fans: baseball played at home in nice weather. Right now they have neither relevance nor entertainment value.

Yes, but they already play games in nice weather that nobody attends. I have been to almost every home game the past two years.

Losing affiliation with the College World Series is not going to help it become relevant again. Are they going to have the baseball version of the NIT with only Big 10 teams? Sign me up!

random question - people state the BIG 10 schools can't compete - now, I admit I don't follow a lot of college baseball, but I remember when Wichita State was a powerhouse (not sure if they still are), and, yes they are not as far north as the B1G - what did they do to attract the stud players?

The average high temp in Wichita in March is 58 degrees. In Ann Arbor it's 46. They get 88 days of precipitation to 160 in Michigan. I don't know how much more you can say than that. Spring in the Midwest just isn't baseball weather.

Hasn't it been almost 30 years since a Big Ten team made it to Omaha? I think it was Michigan in 1984. I just don't see what they are getting out of the affiliation with CWS.

Yes, but they already play games in nice weather that nobody attends. I have been to almost every home game the past two years.

Losing affiliation with the College World Series is not going to help it become relevant again. Are they going to have the baseball version of the NIT with only Big 10 teams? Sign me up!

CWS does nothing for B1G baseball. If they turned it into more of a summer wood bat league it would have minor league feel to it. Start your non conference later in the year against CWS schools and when the CWS playoff start that is when B1G could start conference play. I think it would give attendance a boost, make it more marketable on TV, and give B1G an edge in recruiting. If the Waterloo Bucks can get over 2000 fans attend a game so could the Hawkeyes. If I have hopes of some day playing professional baseball I would want to go to a college that helps get me ready for the next level. If one of the players got drafted then they have the choice of either continuing to play for their school or start minor leagues.

Hasn't it been almost 30 years since a Big Ten team made it to Omaha? I think it was Michigan in 1984. I just don't see what they are getting out of the affiliation with CWS.

Nebraska went to three CWS in the last 11 years, although they've been on a downward slide since then.

If they forced college teams to use wood bats...

No the injury to Colvin was a fluke. I believe you on the numbers of the new metal bats but for me it still is not good enough. If they are more comparable to wooden bats then just make the switch and be done with it. You will always have metal bats for softball and that is where they belong.

you would see even more schools drop the sport. The cost involved with providing a full college team with wood bats for the entire season would be significantly higher than going with the metal bats.

This has everything to do with BTN and programing. Just look at the scheduling for games this time of year track and field, softball, Mens and Womens lacrosse then Baseball. The Hawks play only twice this year on BTN and the over all Baseball schedule pales in comparison to Softball they have ton more time slots and it's way over covered. Not sure if this is a gender equity thing or not but I'd rather watch volleyball, Women's BB even gymnastics over softball.

Didn't they make it in 1990 as well? I remember that team was really good, had future big league Tim Costo on the team.

They made it to the NCAA tournament, but were winless. That was Banks' best team since '72 - would have been Cal Eldred's senior year had he stayed.

This has everything to do with BTN and programing. Just look at the scheduling for games this time of year track and field, softball, Mens and Womens lacrosse then Baseball. The Hawks play only twice this year on BTN and the over all Baseball schedule pales in comparison to Softball they have ton more time slots and it's way over covered. Not sure if this is a gender equity thing or not but I'd rather watch volleyball, Women's BB even gymnastics over softball.

I can't imagine why that would be the case :rolleyes:

I actually do like watching softball, provided that Wisconsin is playing. I'm friends with their starting pitcher (she was two years behind me at my high school).

I really don't care why they're considering moving baseball to the summer. I like the idea. Baseball is a summer and fall sport. They don't call them the Boys of Spring.

I don't follow college baseball closely, so I might be wrong, but would this hurt the kids by playing less baseball?

Kind of along the same lines of Iowa high school baseball players only playing the summer season while Minnesota kids play spring baseball for their high school and then play legion ball all year long. Unless this has changed in the last 15 years since I was in hs...most MN teams would kick Iowa teams *****, cause they just flat out played more. Because of this I always thought Iowa was a terrible state for a potential baseball prospect to grow up in.

When the spring season is over do you think that players just throw their gloves in the back of the closet and wait for next year?

I don't know if they even still exist, but I assume that they do, years ago when I lived in Waterloo they had the Waterloo Bucks. It was a team made up primarily of college players who played in this league during the summer. If the college season was during the summer it would not give them the opportunity to play in leagues like this and may stunt their development.

The Bucks still exist, and apparently draw better than did UNI, which played in the same facility. The proposal is for the B10 only, the rest of the NCAA would continue to play in spring, and their players would be available for summer leagues.

I can't imagine why that would be the case :rolleyes:

I actually do like watching softball, provided that Wisconsin is playing. I'm friends with their starting pitcher (she was two years behind me at my high school).

I really don't care why they're considering moving baseball to the summer. I like the idea. Baseball is a summer and fall sport. They don't call them the Boys of Spring.

Your friend the Wisc pitcher did the Hawks some damage over the weekend. Threw three complete games, and out-pitched both of Iowa's girls.

Latest posts