Big Ten Plus Five Getting Closer

i'd rather not have the big 10 go all "super conference" and just add one team instead, but if money is what drives the bus, why not go big time...

Big Ten is a trend setter. They were the first to have their own network. Why not be the first to have a 4 div 16 team conf.?

So if the Big 12 loses both neb and mizzou, does the Big 12 disband, and it is every team for itself? Does the Big ten come up with a new name if they go 16 teams?

Syracuse and Rutgers have no business being in the Big 10. Pitt barely does. Missouri and Nebraska are the only two that make sense.

Big mistake adding 5. Should only be one, with Nebraska out of the above group being the one. I would go along with three....Missouri, Nebraska and (grudgingly) Pitt. Five is too many. Rutgers brings NOTHING to the Big 10. Syracuse helps only with basketball.

If this goes thru...the Big 10 is ruined.

George wrote "All Things Must Pass". You should have went with "Changes" By David Bowie.

True story, 401k. George changed the title after going to the 1969 OSU-Michigan game.
Seems the "three yards and a cloud of dust" didn't work for him. Hare Krishna.

Good move and would balance things out. Two divisions of eight teams? Or 4 x 4?

East: Penn State, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, OSU, Michigan, MSU, Indiana
West: Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, Missouri, Nebraska, Purdue, Minnesota

Big Ten 1: Pitt, Rutgers, Penn State, Cuse
Big Ten 2: Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern
Big Ten 3: Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin
Big Ten 4: Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska

Fun to think about.

I like the idea of playing neb. every year, but I wish we'd either keep it like it is or add one.

"So if the Big 12 loses both neb and mizzou, does the Big 12 disband...?"

Highly doubtful, the Big 12 will have options but will certainly need to move aggressively.

Adding teams like BYU, TCU and Utah is one option, perhaps grabbing the leftovers of the Big East like Louisville, West Virginia, and Cincinnati. All 6 of those are great programs and a number of them bring some nice population bases...much more so than, say, Nebraska. There are a number of other teams that could be considered, but the point is there are a lot of options. Of course, the best option is the status quo but that may or may not remain in place.

Good move and would balance things out. Two divisions of eight teams? Or 4 x 4?

East: Penn State, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, OSU, Michigan, MSU, Indiana
West: Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, Missouri, Nebraska, Purdue, Minnesota

Big Ten 1: Pitt, Rutgers, Penn State, Cuse
Big Ten 2: Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern
Big Ten 3: Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin
Big Ten 4: Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska

Fun to think about.

I like the groups of 4 but I would configure it so that two groups of 4 are placed into a division. The division would rotate annually.
Yr 1: Group 1 and 2 are DI and Group 3 and 4 are DII.
Yr 2 Group 1 and 3 would be DI and Group 2 and 4 would be DII.
Yr 3: Group 1 and 4 would be D1 and Group 2 and 3 would be Dii
Each Division would play all teams within Division to determine a Division Champion (a Di champion and a Dii champion). They would play 7 games within their Division and 2 games played vs teams from opposing Division with rivalries given the biggest weight. Wins and losses vs non-Division teams would only count for overall record and tie breakers, not Division standings. They would also play 3 out of conference games for a total of 12 games. The Group champions would play each other to determine that Gargantuan16 conference champion and off to the bowl games.

I would rotate them in order to avoid what the Big12 has become...a major power conference in the Big12 south and the leftovers in the Big12 north. Could you imagine your proposed western division ever being relevant?

Basketball: Screw the way the Big East does it now. Play each team ONE time in your conference making each and every game that important. Home court is going to be huge. You will still need to play one team twice in any given year but doing a home and home isn't that tough to figure out when you rotate teams.

Last edited:
Is Missouri in the Association of American Universities? I thought that was suppose to be a big deal.

I still just wonder if the leaked rumors about the Big 10 adding 5 teams is part of the giant plan to pull in ND and ND only. I think the Big 10 getting ND would be the most logical beneficial choice for all involved.
I think ND to the Big 10 would be exactly what the Big 10 and Big East want. ND is forced into a conference. The Big 10 gets it's national audience, a 12th team thus 2 divisions and a championship game. The Big East does not lose any teams other than ND in basketball, it has no real effect on the conference as a whole and they keep the conference together. It also allows the Big 12 to stay as it is and not lose any teams.
I would imagine there is some collusion between the conference presidents, some behind the scene action, if you will. This would all would be so easy if ND wasn't a bunch of pompous a-holes.

Not much is said about Texas anymore in these expansion talks. When this first started they were the key.

This also addresses the question about the Big Twelve. I live in a border state to Texas and the word is they are most interested in joining the Pac Ten and starting their own network. They would bring OU, Colorado, Texas A&M and Kansas and the Pac Ten would also add Utah. That would give that league 8 of the top 20 TV markets compared to the Big Ten's 6. It would also stretch that league into 3 time zones and match UT with equally strong academic institutions.

SEC will snag leftovers, Texas Tech, KSU, OSU sans ISU. ACC will snag WVU, UCONN, Louisville.

This also addresses the question about the Big Twelve. I live in a border state to Texas and the word is they are most interested in joining the Pac Ten and starting their own network. They would bring OU, Colorado, Texas A&M and Kansas and the Pac Ten would also add Utah. That would give that league 8 of the top 20 TV markets compared to the Big Ten's 6. It would also stretch that league into 3 time zones and match UT with equally strong academic institutions.

SEC will snag leftovers, Texas Tech, KSU, OSU sans ISU. ACC will snag WVU, UCONN, Louisville.

Wishful thinking on the Pac 10's part. The Pac 10 has a 100% member approval requirement in order to expand. Stanford would never let OU in with their shaky academic reputation. Heck they voted against Texas in the mid 90s.

Latest posts