Big Ten Network Games

TritonHawkeye

Six games today that involve Big Ten teams and only one on the BTN.

Why so much love for this network that ruined our Basketball coverage?

Six games today that involve Big Ten teams and only one on the BTN.

Why so much love for this network that ruined our Basketball coverage?[/QUOTE]

Because the revenue it generates keeps Iowa's head above water in football.

Sometime in the next decade Kirk will probably leave or retire. The only way Iowa can get a high quality coach is to pay him a lot of money. The BTN gives Iowa a fighting chance to attract a good coach and keep him here with a top salary.

The BTN also allows Iowa to keep up in the "arms race" of CFB by nearly ensuring all of their games are televised in several markets & upgrading facilities regularly.

And unless the NBA changes their draft rules during CBA negotations, NCAA BB is a dead stick.

So how many games could BTN have on any given Saturday? Unless they start games at 8AM or 10PM. Before the BTN I almost ruined my liver going to sports bars on order to watch the Hawks. I was really pi**** when the game at Iowa State was on FSN, one of the few channels I couldn't get on my cable (I've got everything they've got). And now, the IA STate - Texas game is on FX. What the Hell is that? I don't get that either and was hoping to cheer against both teams. I can't get any dish because I'd have to cut down a giant Pin Oak tree my Dad planted 58 years ago.

I was surprised they did not have a night game and instead were showing Women's College Volleyball ... Just seemed odd to be showing that crud in primetime ...

I was surprised they did not have a night game and instead were showing Women's College Volleyball ... Just seemed odd to be showing that crud in primetime ...

That is what got me as well. It is bad enough letting ESPN2(PSU) and ESPNU(NW) show two Big Ten games when they could have been on overflows but to give up the Purdue rights....WTF!

If the BTN can't even broadcast games during football, why have it?

BTN gives up the rights to televise game because of the B10 contracts with ABC/ESPN.

ABC/ESPN pays the B10 for rights to games. ABC gets the first picks, for primetime or the 2:30 slots, then ESPN channels can pick off games. BTN then gets the left overs.

No way ABC & ESPN are going to pass on good B10 matchups. If they do they risk losing a ton of viewers.

However BTN is starting to lock in primetime games already, basically keeping them away from ABC/ESPN. MICH/NW is primetime game on BTN next week.

So how many games could BTN have on any given Saturday? Unless they start games at 8AM or 10PM. Before the BTN I almost ruined my liver going to sports bars on order to watch the Hawks. I was really pi**** when the game at Iowa State was on FSN, one of the few channels I couldn't get on my cable (I've got everything they've got). And now, the IA STate - Texas game is on FX. What the Hell is that? I don't get that either and was hoping to cheer against both teams. I can't get any dish because I'd have to cut down a giant Pin Oak tree my Dad planted 58 years ago.

BTN has the capacity to broadcast every Big10 game if it worked out that way. BTN is not one channel, it's one network. They have overflow channels that catch games at conflicting times.

Last edited:
ABC/ESPN has the primary rights to televise Big Ten football games. They pay the Big Ten $220 million a year for those rights.

ABC/ESPN televises up 41 Big Ten football games every year - up to 17 on ABC and up to 25 on ESPN or ESPN2. In addition, all regional afternoon football games aired on ABC must be aired by ESPN/ESPN2 in outer-markets, making these games nationally available.

In contrast, the SEC receives $205 million a year from CBS & ESPN which includes the rights to the championship game. The Big Ten receives an additional $24 million a year from Fox Sports for the football championship game.

Basically, ABC/ESPN dictates which games the BTN can televise.

The Big Ten did not give up the rights to Purdue-Notre Dame. It was a Big Ten TV game. ESPN decided to televise the game pursuant to its deal with the Big Ten.

ABC/ESPN has the primary rights to televise Big Ten football games. They pay the Big Ten $220 million a year for those rights. ABC/ESPN televises up 41 Big Ten football games every year - up to 17 on ABC and up to 25 on ESPN or ESPN2. In addition, all regional afternoon football games aired on ABC must be aired by ESPN/ESPN2 in outer-markets, making these games nationally available. In contrast, the SEC receives $205 million a year from CBS & ESPN which includes the rights to the championship game. The Big Ten receives an additional $24 million a year from Fox Sports for the football championship game. Basically, ABC/ESPN dictates which games the BTN can televise. The Big Ten did not give up the rights to Purdue-Notre Dame. It was a Big Ten TV game. ESPN decided to televise the game pursuant to its deal with the Big Ten.

If I had pay for the BTN, I would be ******. You pay for a network that basically was built for football, yet all games are televised on other channels.

The game being played isn't about football, it is the game of taking money from consumers.

I think people paying for this should ***** and ***** loudly.

To me it is just wrong to have this network that has overflow capabilities and then for it to broadcast a just one game on the first week of the Big Ten regular season.

Sorry, I forgot about the alternate channels part. My cable doesn't have alternates, just one, & that isn't even locally selected but they do usually have the right game for my, area ie: Iowa. Which brings me back to that darn oak tree again.

Wait, I've been reading for years that ESPN hates the Big 10...

The biggest fallacy perpetrated by Iowa fans. ABC/ESPN will do about anything to appease the Big Ten. Within the last few years, ABC/ESPN has allowed the BTN to compete against it in the prime late-afternoon & night time periods.

The Pac 12 recently entered into a 12 year deal worth $250 million a year. It is anticpated that the Big Ten's next TV deal to begin with the 2017 season may be worth as much as $500 million a year.

You guys do realize that the BTN will be keeping more and more of the football product in the future right? Unless ESPN/ABC give their left nut to keep the current type of deal structure for games...the success of the BTN all but assures more marquee matchups during conference play will be on the BTN after the next deal is signed.

Iowa has played 4 games this season, 2 broadcast by the BTN. Its game against Pitt was voted game of the week and re-broadcast. We probably went through 10 years periods when Iowa was never on TV from 1965 through 80. Those that want to complain about the BTN can, but it is falling on my deaf ear.

You guys do realize that the BTN will be keeping more and more of the football product in the future right? Unless ESPN/ABC give their left nut to keep the current type of deal structure for games...the success of the BTN all but assures more marquee matchups during conference play will be on the BTN after the next deal is signed.

That is a very, very bad thing if it happens. Why would we want our best games to be on a station that is less visible than ESPN and ABC? Do we want to make sure recruits in the south and west never watch a big 10 game?

The least the network could do is be able to broadcast the games after the games are over so if you don't get a chance to watch the game live, you can watch it later.

The least the network could do is be able to broadcast the games after the games are over so if you don't get a chance to watch the game live, you can watch it later.

You can watch all the games online whenever you want (I have the Ohio St. vs Michigan St. streaming in my office right now). As long as you subscribe to a Dish, DirectTV, or an approved cable company.

http://www.btn2go.com/btn2go/home

If I had pay for the BTN, I would be ******. You pay for a network that basically was built for football, yet all games are televised on other channels.

The game being played isn't about football, it is the game of taking money from consumers.

I think people paying for this should ***** and ***** loudly.

To me it is just wrong to have this network that has overflow capabilities and then for it to broadcast a just one game on the first week of the Big Ten regular season.

So when the games against Tenn Tech and La-Monroe wouldn't have been on TV because of the BTN you wouldn't have had a problem?

Latest posts