Big Ten + ND and that's all

Chip Brown discusses this scenario in his latest update. This guy seems to have more info than anyone, which probably isn't saying a lot.

No way does the Big Ten stop with only ND. The powers-that-be have already noted the population shift to the sunbelt and have said they want to remain a force in the future and will do so by expanding into the sunbelt.

Kelley:

I understand that would be 15 teams. I also would still stop there at this point. These teams cannot move for a while. There is also no absolutely obvious 5th team.

Get those 4 to agree and then take your time with number 5.

Last edited:
It has to go to 16, because the logo would be so awesome.

See how the I and the G are a lot like a 1 and a 6? New logo: The B16 TEN.

big-ten-logo.jpg

I just had this revelation last night--sorry if somebody already posted something like this.

Last edited:
I know Deace disagrees with me but I think the league could do this and stop at 12. I think if they believe they can get ND then there will not be any invite to Neb or Mizz and ND will join and that is all. I think the Pac 10 moves will make this come to pass and force ND to realize the seismic shift is coming and the best chance to be relevant and keep some history is join big ten

If this is true, then Nebraska should have voted "yes" to the Big 12. They could get left out in the cold with the 'Clones.

If the Big Ten adds schools from two states who are not part of the conference, that would make 10 states, thus the Big 10 name would still fit. Most likely candidates to choose from from are Nebraska, Missouri, Rutgers(NJ). Then adding Notre Dame or Pittsburgh would not add any additional states. Add all five and the logo could stay the exact same with the hidden 11 in the logo.

So are some of my thoughts (and this has been my #1 idea for awhile now, though there is probably about a 0.1% chance it happens):
1. If the Big Ten adds Notre Dame and stops, it fails to accomplish its goal of spreading the conference footprint to the sunnier parts of the USA.
2. It is clear from what I read that academics are just as important than athletics to the B10, if not more so.
3. By Notre Dame, the B10 would be demonstrating that it is okay with adding another smallish, private school.
4. Geographic continuity is important, even if it isn't stated.
5. The B10 may be considering a 4x4 quad system.
6. The SEC may poach Virginia Tech or others, so the ACC as it now looks may be in trouble.
7. Adding Notre Dame and 4 ACC schools could be a real possibility. The 4 ACC schools could be an entire quad, so current B10 schools wouldn't have to be broken up as much.
8. My choice for the 4 ACC schools would be Maryland, Virginia (two large states, plus the DC market, quality academics and sports), North Carolina, and Duke. In this scenario, the only thing lacking is consistent top-15 caliber football, but those schools are very good at a lot of other sports, so that may make up for their lack of power in football. It adds what is academically the best large private school in the South to the best large private school in the Midwest and best Catholic school (academically) in America. It spreads the conference out without spreading the conference thin, and it improves the conference dramatically in M&W basketball and baseball, the three most prominent NCAA sports after football. I know this is a major long-shot (almost laughably so), but I think it would be an ideal situation.

Oh, God, please do not allow Duke in the B16 TEN. I... hate... Duke... so much... it.... flames, flames, up the side of my face...

my order of preference:

1) stay at 11, go to 13-game schedule and play a full 10-game round-robin conference schedule
2) add Notre Dame and stop at 12 schools ... split conference into North & South divisions
3) add five to get to 16 schools ... choose from: Connecticut, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Virginia
4) same as #3 but lower standards to consider: Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Last edited:
I can really see Kansas and Iowa State going to the Big East. The Big East would be an excellent basketball conference, and KU and ISU are really basketball schools.

I don't really get the ND only thing. They do not really guarantee anything beyond a championship game and some good press.

1) ND fans are spread throughout the nation, but they are not concentrated enough in any one place to bring any basic cable sets. (I know people at Fox see ND as premium audience, not a basic cable audience).

Umm..NBC has given them their own television contract. I guess I'd take that as TV people believing they have a national appeal.

Dennis Dodd is speculating that the Big 10 will go above the 12 if ND joins. Furthermore he speculates that ND will still stay entrenched at the moment thus forcing the Big 10 to go after Nebby and Mizzou on one side and Rutgers and 'Cuse on the other. This would collapse the Big East thus throwing ND's basketball affiliation up in the air, giving them even more incentive to join the Big 10.

I agree with the latter in the event ND turns down what I think is being offered to them, and that is Big Ten + ND and stop. If they turn it down, then Nebraska and Mizzou come in, and perhaps there is still a slot for them as the 16th member..or maybe not

Umm..NBC has given them their own television contract. I guess I'd take that as TV people believing they have a national appeal.

I still don't see how Big Ten can pass-up Nebraska. Texas knows how important Nebraska is. They have 5 national championships and 3 Heisman Trophy winners. Heck, kick out Northwestern if you need to. They can't compete in anything.

I agree with the latter in the event ND turns down what I think is being offered to them, and that is Big Ten + ND and stop. If they turn it down, then Nebraska and Mizzou come in, and perhaps there is still a slot for them as the 16th member..or maybe not

So... is ND on the clock then (for the 12 teams option)?.. with the Big12 implosion and Nebby-Mizzu deadline looming?

I can't think the Big10 wants to risk letting those 2 get away while they wait for ND to make a decision.

No freaking way the B10 turns down Nebraska if they're sitting there on a platter. Would be impossibly stupid.

I love all the speculation going on with this. I actually think the Big 10 may be forced into looking at expansion in a totally different light now that the Pac 10 and Texas have forced people hands. They basically said I'm all in, and now everyone else has to react and quick.

It is the Big 10 that forced the Pac 10's hand. You can be sure this possibility was anticipated, and it probably helps Delaney for someone else to tip the first domino.

Delaney and Fox are playing 3D chess while everyone else plays checkers.

National appeal is different than basic cable customers. The reason ND is a viable (and this is more and more up for debate) national broadcast television draw is that their fans are spread out.

However, when you translate this to subscription TV, you consider your clientele more carefully. That is why the BTN is on basic cable in the states where there is a B10 university. The cable companies know the demand in that limited area will be high enough to pay basic cable rights. It is about narrow-casting in a limited regional space. You need a high enough concentration of viewers and others interested.

With national broadcast TV you are not looking at narrow-casting, you are looking at "broad" casting. That is why ND seems a viable national option, because their fans are so dispersed. However, when you translate this to cable, ND looks like a premium subscription, because their fans are so committed and so dispersed.

All of this being said, ND's/NBC's ratings have been more off than on for a while.

Latest posts