Big Ten Hate (from CN)

Hawkeye11en1

Sorry to bring this here, but I have been banned from CN and REALLY wanted to respond to one post from over there....so whoever can post over there...help me out.

Originally Posted by mikem
"Michigan didn't deserve a BCS bid, and in all reality, it probably would have helped their conference bowl record had they not gotten one.

Kstate would have brought a lot of people to New Orleans, no question. They travelled well for other bowls of BS era...So the fan $$$ would have been there.

What wasn't going to be there was the TV ratings. Casual fans don't watch Kansas State. It is the same principle as ratings for us, and (gasp) iowa. You really have to have a connection to the school, or state, to tune in for those games.

Look at the orange bowl a couple years ago, TERRIBLE ratings. Ga Tech is no household name, but the mighty hawks, repping the awsome big 10, drew NOBODY outside of the state, and pockets of iowans living around the country.

An average person in Tampa isn't going to watch an Iowa State, or an iowa, or a Kansas State game, unless they have some connection to those schools. They would, however, watch UT or OU, or Mich or O$U or child rape u play or Alabama or LSU, because they have been on TV forever and people are used to them...

Advertising dollars are a big deal, and you have to have ratings to get the $$$"

I wanted to talk about his assertion that the Orange Bowl had TERRIBLE ratings. Well, they really weren't all that bad. They were lower than the other BCS bowls of that year, but were higher than any other bowl other than the PSU/LSU game. Not too bad. Now look down the 2009-10 ratings and see if you can see what the ISU/Minny game rated - .83. 2nd lowest and down there with the likes of Southern Miss and Middle Tennessee. No other game was really all that close.

Now look at 2010-11 ratings. The OU/UCONN game was (gasp) lower rated than the Hawkeye game the year before. No way. Now blame that on UCONN all you want, but GA Tech is no national name, either. If OU is so coveted, why wasn't that game more highly rated?

Bowl games pick B10 teams because they travel well and get good ratings. The Rose Bowl is consistently the highest rated of the BCS games (not including the NC).

Now look at 2010-11 ratings. The OU/UCONN game was (gasp) lower rated than the Hawkeye game the year before. No way. Now blame that on UCONN all you want, but GA Tech is no national name, either. If OU is so coveted, why wasn't that game more highly rated?

Wasn't UConn like a 4 loss team with OU the heavy favorite?

So OU fans didn't watch it because they knew they would win? :rolleyes:

Do only the fans of the teams playing watch the game? And don't you think OU had quite a few fans at the game, thus not watching it on tv? Just thinking out loud here.

Do only the fans of the teams playing watch the game? And don't you think OU had quite a few fans at the game, thus not watching it on tv? Just thinking out loud here.

I get that, but what he is saying is the casual fans are more inclined to watch OU than Iowa. While I understand that, it isn't always true. The B10 gets teams in better bowl games because the B10 has a LOT of casual fans. He is bashing Iowa for having awful ratings at that bowl, but OU had similar numbers. I don't see a difference.

I think the Orange Bowl gets poor ratings compared to the other BCS games on a regular basis. I wouldn't put that on Iowa.

They are attached to the Big East and ACC which certainly doesn't help particularly with Miami and FSU being down.

They used to be a huge bowl game when they had the Big 8 Champion coming down every year to play Miami. They had Nebraska or Oklahoma each season, now their dealing with the likes of Virginia Tech, Cincinatti, West Virginia, Wake Forest was there a few years ago as the ACC rep. That is a pretty massive step backward.

I get that, but what he is saying is the casual fans are more inclined to watch OU than Iowa. While I understand that, it isn't always true. The B10 gets teams in better bowl games because the B10 has a LOT of casual fans. He is bashing Iowa for having awful ratings at that bowl, but OU had similar numbers. I don't see a difference.

Quality games draw more viewers. A large part of TV ratings are the college football fans that wants to see a good game.

What was the spread of the G-tech game? The only difference I could see is that Uconn was not a BCS team, that limped into the game coming out victorious in a weak Big East, thus it wasn't a very hyped game.

Quality games draw more viewers. A large part of TV ratings are the college football fans that wants to see a good game.

What was the spread of the G-tech game? The only difference I could see is that Uconn was not a BCS team, that limped into the game coming out victorious in a weak Big East, thus it wasn't a very hyped game.

But a casual viewer doesn't want to see a close game, they want to see OU.

That is the point.

But a casual viewer doesn't want to see a close game, they want to see OU.

That is the point.

I didn't get that from that guys post but if that's what he was saying then I agree. I felt like he was saying more people would watch a big time program play than Iowa, ISU, kstate or whatever....which i agree with.

I didn't get that from that guys post but if that's what he was saying then I agree. I felt like he was saying more people would watch a big time program play than Iowa, ISU, kstate or whatever....which i agree with.

Yeah....and that big time program was playing and got the same ratings as the Iowa game. So which is it? The matchup or the big time program?

Yeah....and that big time program was playing and got the same ratings as the Iowa game. So which is it? The matchup or the big time program?

TV ratings aren't as clear cut as you're trying to make them. They take into account both of those variables.

With a large enough sample size you could easily argue that those two variables are related.

some time TVrating play apart in the teams being picked, but to the Bowl People it is butts in the seats. it has been awhile since Michigan has been to a big Bowl and the thought of a team that can pack a stadium at home with over a 100,000 fans week in and week out mean big money for the city hosting the bowl
that is why Iowa sometimes get into a better bowl at time
butts in the seats = big bucks, the better the TV rating is a bonus
bowl people will take the sure thing in fans coming over TV rating anytime

Not that long ago ISU would have done damn near anything to get a B1G invite.
Also, 2 of their teams that won bowls games are leaving the conference next year. This may be their last great season as a conference.

Also, 2 of their teams that won bowls games are leaving the conference next year. This may be their last great season as a conference.

TCU won their bowl game and West Virginia is in a BCS game.

TCU and WV have had more success the past decade than A&M and Mizzou. Big 12 will stay strong

Latest posts