Big Ten BCS At Large Breakdown

The list of bowl games are not in any particular order are they? Illinois has looked good at times this year but that bowl prediction by Andrea Adelson makes it look like Iowa loses out the rest of the year and Penn State, NW and Illinois win the rest of the remaining schedule!?!

Andrea definitely has to have Iowa losing two more games at a minimum for the Gator to take PSU over Iowa.

Andrea is stupid to say the least, especially because the week before she had us picked in the Outback.... then we beat the 5th ranked BCS team and now we are Insight material?? What didn't she like about that schilacking?

The list of bowl games are not in any particular order are they? Illinois has looked good at times this year but that bowl prediction by Andrea Adelson makes it look like Iowa loses out the rest of the year and Penn State, NW and Illinois win the rest of the remaining schedule!?!

Her picks have been out of whack all season. Doesn't seem to have a clue. Schlabach's picks looked realistic. I'm obviously hoping for better, but the Outback/Capital One is pretty reasonable at this point.

Andrea obviously thinks Ohio State will beat Iowa, which isn't unreasonable, and thinks the Big Ten will get 1 bid, which isn't unreasonable either. However I still think Iowa's shot at the BCS is pretty good, especially since, as Jon has wisely said, MSU's chances at Penn State look a lot worse now. At least the Hawkeyes can still share the title by winning out, it was tough missing out on the title last year.

Andrea obviously thinks Ohio State will beat Iowa, which isn't unreasonable, and thinks the Big Ten will get 1 bid, which isn't unreasonable either. However I still think Iowa's shot at the BCS is pretty good, especially since, as Jon has wisely said, MSU's chances at Penn State look a lot worse now. At least the Hawkeyes can still share the title by winning out, it was tough missing out on the title last year.

No doubt, the first few assumptions there are not crazy. But Iowa to Insight at this point, where 8 wins seems to be the minimum, is way out there

Just pointing it out, but if Iowa/Wisconsin/Michigan State all win out. Michigan state will be the representative in the Rose Bowl. Because Iowa will be thrown out after the overall record tiebreaker and then it goes back to tiebreaker between two teams and MSU beat Wisconsin so they will be Rose Bowl rep.

1. An ineligible team shall not be considered in the standings for determination of the conference representative.
  2. If there is a tie for the championship, the winner of the game between these two teams shall represent the conference.
  3. If there is still a tie, or if the tied teams did not play each other, the representative shall be determined on the percentage basis of all games played.
  4. If there is still a tie, the highest-ranked team in the final BCS standings shall be the representative.
  5. If more than two teams tie for the championship, the same selection procedures shall be followed with the following exceptions:
  6. If three teams are tied, and if one team defeated both of the other teams, then that team shall be the representative.
  7. If three teams are still tied, and if two of the three teams defeated the third team, the third team is eliminated, and the remaining two teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
  8. If three teams are still tied, and there is a tie game between two of the three teams, or if two or all three of the teams did not play each other, the representative shall be determined on a percentage basis of all games played.
  9. If three teams are still tied, and one of the three teams is eliminated through the percentage basis of all games played, the remaining two teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
  10. If three teams are still tied, and all three teams have the same winning percentage of all games played, the highest-ranked team in the final BCS standings shall be the representative.

Or you could say the Arizona loss hurt us by knocking us out of the first overall tie breaker.

There are still four weeks left in the Big Ten season it's going to be interesting to say the least.

If IA, MSU and UW all win out, MSU definitively goes to the Rose. But can another BCS bowl pick IA over UW, or does the conference preclude this? (Not that it would happen, but could it? B/c that's basically what happened a couple yrs ago when a FL bowl picked IA over NW, that in principle was the same situation.)

If IA, MSU and UW all win out, MSU definitively goes to the Rose. But can another BCS bowl pick IA over UW, or does the conference preclude this? (Not that it would happen, but could it? B/c that's basically what happened a couple yrs ago when a FL bowl picked IA over NW, that in principle was the same situation.)

Yes they could, but 11-1 loss Wisky team(fans travel well also) will get chosen over a 10-2 Iowa who loss to Wisky. Iowa might be able to get chosen over a 11-1 MSU team who we beat, but in that scenario we would go to the Rose Bowl anyways(Cause that would mean Wisky loss a game).

Also, in the win out scenario Wisconsin could end up in the Top 4 of the BCS guaranteeing them a BCS game.

I don't care where we play our Bowl game, if it is a January bowl.

A big ten championship would be very special. It has to start with Indiana this week. I really think we can handle Minny in the last game of the year, so it is down to a 3 game schedule for the Big Ten title.

Murph said on "Sound Off" tonight that basically the Big 10 gets two BCS bowls. If Iowa wins out they will get one of them. I don't know how well Keith and Andy do their homework on bowls, but I am sure they have researched it more than I have.

Murph said on "Sound Off" tonight that basically the Big 10 gets two BCS bowls. If Iowa wins out they will get one of them. I don't know how well Keith and Andy do their homework on bowls, but I am sure they have researched it more than I have.

If Iowa wins out we need a Wisconsin loss to go to the Rose Bowl or a MSU loss to go to a BCS game(we won't go to BCS over a 11-1 Wisconsin who beat us and if MSU wins out they go to the Rose). But even that doesn't guarantee us a BCS birth. Keith just saying that's it's probable that if they win out they should bo to BCS.

This is correct...

If Iowa wins out we need a Wisconsin loss to go to the Rose Bowl or a MSU loss to go to a BCS game(we won't go to BCS over a 11-1 Wisconsin who beat us and if MSU wins out they go to the Rose). But even that doesn't guarantee us a BCS birth. Keith just saying that's it's probable that if they win out they should bo to BCS.

main thing to focus on is that if Iowa wins out, Hawks will do no worse than be co-champs with Wisconsin, MSU, or both. Although MSU winning at Penn State is not a sure thing, neither is Wisconsin winning at Michigan.

If Wisconsin losses once more, and Iowa and MSU win out, we will go to the Rose Bowl, correct? The best we can hope for is a Wisconsin loss, not a MSU loss...

Heard an interesting stat on the BTN the other night i believe. Big Ten teams coming off a bye actually have a losing record in their next game.

Wisconsin remaining schedule:
@Purdue
Indiana
@Michigan
Northwestern

Last edited:
Re: This is correct...

main thing to focus on is that if Iowa wins out, Hawks will do no worse than be co-champs with Wisconsin, MSU, or both. Although MSU winning at Penn State is not a sure thing, neither is Wisconsin winning at Michigan.

i've read somewhere that Wisconsin has only won once in the big house in the last 45 years..... pretty incredible. MSU @ PSU is definitely not for sure yet

the only problem is that Michigan has an awful defense and i mean awful--- Penn state was able to put 41 points with a new starting quarterback---

i think the best bet as much as i hate to say it is that MSU will stumble against PSU and Iowa get's the at the large bid, which is not bad---- although Wisconsin, like Iowa, has had recent issues with Northwestern--- still--- Wisconsin's offense is straight up legit and at the end of the day i see iowa taking the sugar/orange/fiesta at large.

Latest posts