Big Ten Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference

Also our teams, on a consistent basis, aren't what they were twenty or especially 30-40 years ago. I'm probably in the minority here, but I've personally never had a major complaint about the arena and still believe it can be electrifying if the team on the court is. Obviously it is not and will never be Hilton East but Carver can get loud when full and rocking.
That would help a ton no doubt about it... There's been plenty of games that I've been to where it was close under 10 points pts either way where with 5-7 mins to go folks are getting up and leaving... Before the last tv timeout and game still clearly in the balance it blows my mind. I almost want to ask them why'd you even come if you don't care about how it ends... Does that last 30 mins of your night matter to you that freaking much? But that said if they didn't buy the tickets most likely they'd have gone unsold so I guess there's that.
It just frustrates me because I love the Hawks and to see all these other wild fun environments that are out there and ours at times seems more like a trip to the VFW..

That would help a ton no doubt about it... There's been plenty of games that I've been to where it was close under 10 points pts either way where with 5-7 mins to go folks are getting up and leaving... Before the last tv timeout and game still clearly in the balance it blows my mind. I almost want to ask them why'd you even come if you don't care about how it ends... Does that last 30 mins of your night matter to you that freaking much? But that said if they didn't buy the tickets most likely they'd have gone unsold so I guess there's that.
It just frustrates me because I love the Hawks and to see all these other wild fun environments that are out there and ours at times seems more like a trip to the VFW..

That’s every where tho for real. Creighton sells out most every game and they have the same problem, place clears out with 5 minutes left every game regardless of score. Carver is fine if you like old school buildings with no modern convenieces. It matters. Most stadiums don’t have that kind of trek up and down the stairs, if they do, they have mobile vendors. IDC for me, I’m fine going up and down em still, but it has to suck for people who don’t move like they used to. The vendors, suck. Flat out. It’s generic processed food and they could have a # of more attractive offering in that regards. Keep the ice cream, add more than popcorn. No standing room option. This is big for the seating area as well as like a concourse. All the new arenas have them these days. Carver is “fine” and it can be rocking, no doubt, but if you want to be better than “fine”and you want to make it something that is attractive you have to have attractions. Most places already have this in place

That’s every where tho for real. Creighton sells out most every game and they have the same problem, place clears out with 5 minutes left every game regardless of score. Carver is fine if you like old school buildings with no modern convenieces. It matters. Most stadiums don’t have that kind of trek up and down the stairs, if they do, they have mobile vendors. IDC for me, I’m fine going up and down em still, but it has to suck for people who don’t move like they used to. The vendors, suck. Flat out. It’s generic processed food and they could have a # of more attractive offering in that regards. Keep the ice cream, add more than popcorn. No standing room option. This is big for the seating area as well as like a concourse. All the new arenas have them these days. Carver is “fine” and it can be rocking, no doubt, but if you want to be better than “fine”and you want to make it something that is attractive you have to have attractions. Most places already have this in place
Yeah I suppose to some degree it is.. I just have such an opposite way of thinking about that it's hard for me to comprehend doing that.

Yeah I suppose to some degree it is.. I just have such an opposite way of thinking about that it's hard for me to comprehend doing that.

There's some kind of stigma that exists in people who are older that they NEED to beat traffic and rush more than see the end of what they payed for. Happens at concerts and really anything with crowds.

There's some kind of stigma that exists in people who are older that they NEED to beat traffic and rush more than see the end of what they payed for. Happens at concerts and really anything with crowds.

Its funny you say that. This completely describes my father. Me on the other hand, I stay to the bitter end. I was probably one of the last people to leave the Minnesota game a couple weeks ago. I just love to soak it in when Iowa beats them, particularly on the road. Went to the Vikings home opener against SF and literally needed to be asked to leave by an usher so the people could get started with the clean up.

Its funny you say that. This completely describes my father. Me on the other hand, I stay to the bitter end. I was probably one of the last people to leave the Minnesota game a couple weeks ago. I just love to soak it in when Iowa beats them, particularly on the road. Went to the Vikings home opener against SF and literally needed to be asked to leave by an usher so the people could get started with the clean up.

Me, too. And, I am old.

Having been yelled at by a codger for cheering too loud and once sitting behind a nice couple who brought their baby, I have mixed feelings about CHA. Like the stadium but don't much care for the crowd. It seems like unless it's a bad weather or NIT crowd, the regulars treat it like a social event. Half don't seem to know much about the game of basketball and seem to care more about being seen there. They are the ones that leave early in a tight game. But I do live in Dubuque so 8 pm games suck. Getting home on a weeknight at 1 in the morning isn't fun or practical. I go to games to watch them. I don't care too much about the vendors. The stadium has a great view of the game from almost any seat and good acoustics. All that's been missing is a team to get excited about.

I don't know if I am the minority in my thoughts about CHA, but it seems as if there are a lot of posters on HN that are really down on the facility. So, I will give you my thoughts and let it go from there...

1. I like the uniqueness of the top ring of the arena, where the sight lines to the playing floor are pretty impressive. Seems like a "pit" set up which would be a positive for intimidation.
2. I don't really understand the complaints about the steps down into the arena. I guess you guys would enjoy climbing up from floor level? What is the difference?
3. There is really not a bad seat in CHA. Its big enough for large crowds, but small enough to have a pretty intimate feel. And, yes, I have watched games from many different areas in the arena, so I speak from personal experience. These days, I am blessed to be dead center court, on the aisle, 26 rows up opposite the bench; the good seat was primarily because I only buy a single.
4. The displays around the concourse are really nice. Even though I have seen them many times, I often re-visit them and see many other fans enjoying the experience.
5. The restrooms are fine. Beats troughs. I could not care less about the concessions. Don't use them, except for an occasional "twist" cone.
6. Traffic is annoying. What else is new?
7. Although I have never toured the new addition for practices, I have been told by others that it is really nice.
8. We have been through the student seating issue many times. You may want to look at the other 13 arenas in the Big Ten and see how many of them put the students in the "end zone." I know from personal experience that Wisconsin does, and they seem to have pretty good crowd participation...and, the students have to beg and borrow to get into the games at all.
9. The new display boards are pretty darn impressive. Just my opinion.
10. Finally, I have now taken 13 people to Iowa games who are from Wisconsin, South Dakota, Minnesota, Penn State, and all of them have been really impressed with CHA. They love the configuration of the concourse above and the floor below.
11. The complaint that the "blue hairs" sit on their hands and leave early is another common view among the critics. The people around me are a typical variety of age groups. Young couples, often with kids, those ranging from 20's to probably 80 are around, a few fans of visiting teams. My hair is not blue, I just don't have much left. I get really annoyed when people leave early, but I will admit that with games times being so erratic, and people coming from Des Moines, Davenport, are probably worried about getting home at a reasonable time. I am lucky. I just stay over for the night post game.
12. Iowa fans, in terms of participation in the games, are just about normal. When the team is playing well, when the team is on a run, when the game is close, they are pretty darn loud. And CHA really contains the noise. That I know. Too often, we fans are taken out of the game by poor play resulting in blowouts. When we have a lot of students on board, the noise level is pretty darn impressive. But, that, admittedly, is not happening often enough.

So: Its not CHA that is the problem. Its our competitiveness in the Big Ten.
Tough to be mad at people leaving early when you trot teams out like last year's edition. Not only would I leave early I'd be more likely to just give away my tickets and save on the gas money and hassle. There was NOTHING entertaining about watching that team last year OR the 3 years under Lickliter. Hopefully, but doubtful, that Fran has learned the importance of playing Defense...I mean he's been a head coach for like 20 years.

I don't know if I am the minority in my thoughts about CHA, but it seems as if there are a lot of posters on HN that are really down on the facility. So, I will give you my thoughts and let it go from there...

1. I like the uniqueness of the top ring of the arena, where the sight lines to the playing floor are pretty impressive. Seems like a "pit" set up which would be a positive for intimidation.
2. I don't really understand the complaints about the steps down into the arena. I guess you guys would enjoy climbing up from floor level? What is the difference?
3. There is really not a bad seat in CHA. Its big enough for large crowds, but small enough to have a pretty intimate feel. And, yes, I have watched games from many different areas in the arena, so I speak from personal experience. These days, I am blessed to be dead center court, on the aisle, 26 rows up opposite the bench; the good seat was primarily because I only buy a single.
4. The displays around the concourse are really nice. Even though I have seen them many times, I often re-visit them and see many other fans enjoying the experience.
5. The restrooms are fine. Beats troughs. I could not care less about the concessions. Don't use them, except for an occasional "twist" cone.
6. Traffic is annoying. What else is new?
7. Although I have never toured the new addition for practices, I have been told by others that it is really nice.
8. We have been through the student seating issue many times. You may want to look at the other 13 arenas in the Big Ten and see how many of them put the students in the "end zone." I know from personal experience that Wisconsin does, and they seem to have pretty good crowd participation...and, the students have to beg and borrow to get into the games at all.
9. The new display boards are pretty darn impressive. Just my opinion.
10. Finally, I have now taken 13 people to Iowa games who are from Wisconsin, South Dakota, Minnesota, Penn State, and all of them have been really impressed with CHA. They love the configuration of the concourse above and the floor below.
11. The complaint that the "blue hairs" sit on their hands and leave early is another common view among the critics. The people around me are a typical variety of age groups. Young couples, often with kids, those ranging from 20's to probably 80 are around, a few fans of visiting teams. My hair is not blue, I just don't have much left. I get really annoyed when people leave early, but I will admit that with games times being so erratic, and people coming from Des Moines, Davenport, are probably worried about getting home at a reasonable time. I am lucky. I just stay over for the night post game.
12. Iowa fans, in terms of participation in the games, are just about normal. When the team is playing well, when the team is on a run, when the game is close, they are pretty darn loud. And CHA really contains the noise. That I know. Too often, we fans are taken out of the game by poor play resulting in blowouts. When we have a lot of students on board, the noise level is pretty darn impressive. But, that, admittedly, is not happening often enough.

So: Its not CHA that is the problem. Its our competitiveness in the Big Ten.

You have a lot of good views here, and you're not wrong on a lot. But, I am telling ya - Carver is light years behind what other programs have right now, and for a school like Iowa that banks in Football and wants to be competitive in basketball, it's time to move on and upgrade like we are capable of.

Our competitiveness in the B1G hasn't really been a problem sans last year really. We weren't competing for B1G Championships - but we were competitive the 4 years before that. Still, the place is a morgue. I get that is pretty much across the board in the sport but Iowa isn't doing themselves any favors with their building. Newer buildings have "levels" - less steps. I am not complaining about the steps. I don't care, I get up and down them pretty good still. But not everyone is mobile. Every time you gotta take a pee - you got those steps if you have a decent seat. Everytime you want a concession - those steps again. If you have a new place, you can have levels with concourses and easier access to restrooms and food. Which, makes the experience for the fan better and makes it easier to get something quick to eat and makes more revenue. The current set up - is just garbage. I have no qualms with the views or the crowd.... I am talking more about plain and simple, fan experience.

Is it easy to get to and park? No
Is it easy to get to your seats, take a pee, get a drink? No
Do they come around with food and drink since it's sucky to go get them? No
Do they have good food? No
Do they have a concourse for people to gather, with TV's and such while hitting the hen and getting the food? No

these work against the experience for the fan and they are huge. I am as big of a fan of Iowa hoops as anyone. I don't care if they play somewhere I have to climb a ladder to get to - I'll make it and get to watch. But that's not who they need to please. They need to please someone who wouldn't normally go to those depths and the way it's set up right now, is one of the worst I've attended and I've been to a lot of arenas.

I wonder where Iowa football would rank under this approach? I'm guessing much higher.

Carver stinks because you can't find a parking place, and then you can't get out of there once you park. It is just awful.

Also, the students are buried in the corner, which kills our home court advantage.

Finally, the noise just disappears. It never gets very loud.

The old Iowa field house was 10 times better. That was the loudest arena EVER. You had to attend a game there to truly appreciate how intimidating and loud it was....just nasty

I'm also starting to think that the primary reason that Iowa is not good in basketball is BECAUSE WE REFUSE TO CHEAT AND TAKE TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN SHOE CONTRACTS.

Are you following the story at Kansas? CROOKS