Big Ten as Usual

End of games has been huge this year - Minn lead 6 conf games at the last 4:00min timeout and lost them all w/ missed FT's. Wis have won 6 games in the last 4 min - only loss I believe was Iowa.

'lowly Purdue' - destroyed Mich St 73-42 at home

After today - sure someone will analyze the unbalanced league schedule - who you play once v. twice and whether those one-time were home or away. Some teams surely had an advantage / disadvantage.

You are right on about schedule variability as a major factor. I hope we read a lot about it post season.

I mean, you're not wrong....but this board is gonna do what this board is gonna do. I didn't expect this either but knowing what I know now that Nebraska game still stands out.

I just wish Purdue would play everyone else as well as they played Iowa.

I just wish Purdue would play Iowa at the same level as they played everyone else.

It all comes down to unlucky bounces. If that tide would turn, we'd get all the rebounds.

I think schematically what Purdue has done on both offense and defense was deliberate and effective, definitely not a fluke. On defense, they double Garza as soon as he touches the ball and they face guard Wieskamp and CJ. That always leaves an open Iowa player to either shoot an open 3 or penetrate the lane and do something with it. Purdue hedged their bets that CMac, JoeT, Eveyln, Kriener and Pemsl couldn't beat them. Then, when a shot goes up they block out their guard, take Garza out of the play by the double and get the rebound.

On offense, what they did was always always have 2 bigs in the game trying to pull Garza out of the lane because he is our only rim protection and rebounder. Then they put up shots knowing that iowas guards are always trying to release on the break leaving Garza and either Kriener or Pemsl to get the rebound against 3. Purdue hedged their bets that Iowa could not consistently get out on a 3 man break to beat 2.

How do we beat that? On defense, have the guards start blocking out and somebody get a body on the floater which is boudreaux. We limit offense rebounds we limit their offense severely. On offense, swing the ball quickly side to side, make them move and rotate for a while possession, cut to the basket, utilize Garza on the perimeter to either shoot or post up Wieskamp.

With that, Iowa has to know going in to that game that we aren't going to get a lot of transition buckets and the score may be in the low 60's. Wisconsin is very much the same way as they will bait us into quick shots and mistakes.