Big Ten 2024 schedule

There are many unknowns about the dates of Iowa football games in 2024 and beyond. The same is true for Iowa State. The websites are showing Iowa playing Iowa State the second week of the season into the future. I'm questioning if that is going to happen as dates have not been set for conference games by the conferences involved. It's very possible the conferences will try to minimize travel for western teams by scheduling back to back weekend games. As an example when UCLA play Iowa and Nebraska away in the same year those games could be scheduled the 2nd and 3rd weeks of the season. UCLA would play Iowa and then stay over in Omaha for the Nebraska game.

The Minnesota/Iowa game is a long ago dead relic for the geriatric set. The world has moved on. No one under the age of 65 gives a shit about that game anymore.

I'm 45 and think the Minnesota game is epic, particularly since they got the outdoor stadium. But I am steeped in the rich heritage of the Greater Fort Dodge metropolitan area and am a huge fan of the pig. I think it's one of the 5 best rivalry games/trophies in the sport. In an era where everyone is trying to make fake shit like the Land Grant Trophy and whatever those shitbag trophies they do for the ISU or Nebraska game the importance of long-standing rivalries needs to stand out. In state and border games are what this sport is all about and Iowa-Minnesota is a legendary series. I don't know how you can live so close to the border of that shithole and not hate them.

There are many unknowns about the dates of Iowa football games in 2024 and beyond. The same is true for Iowa State. The websites are showing Iowa playing Iowa State the second week of the season into the future. I'm questioning if that is going to happen as dates have not been set for conference games by the conferences involved. It's very possible the conferences will try to minimize travel for western teams by scheduling back to back weekend games. As an example when UCLA play Iowa and Nebraska away in the same year those games could be scheduled the 2nd and 3rd weeks of the season. UCLA would play Iowa and then stay over in Omaha for the Nebraska game.

Dude, they don't need to take a 3-day train ride anymore. There is no way in hell that during the school year a California team is going to stay in Omaha for a week. Those scheduling considerations can be made for other sports, but not football with a week between games.

I am not up on how college classes are done now. Can students still log in remotely and do their homework remotely or has that all gone away since the pandemic went away?

The travel mileage difference is irrelevant nowadays because everything happens by air. Who cares if they have to travel to Iowa vs Penn State or Rutgers for example?

LAX to Penn State is 4 1/2 hours, and LAX to Iowa City is 3 hours 15 minutes according to google flights.

LAX to Salt Lake City is 2 hours.

You think they're going to take an hour or two of travel time into consideration when scheduling? It's not a big deal. These schools all hire cushy charter planes with seats in them big enough for O-lineman to be comfortable.

Fry is right. The flights are not a big deal when you charter.

No one is spending the week in Omaha between games. In fact, I am confident that there will be no back to back road games with lengthy travel. They will plan better than that. A Big 10 team has 5 road games a year and usually a couple of those will be very short travel given the emphasis on maintaining regional rivalry games. Travel is a non-issue for football.

Now, BB, baseball and other high volume game sports? Might be more challenging and you might see some roadtrips where multiple games are played in a couple days in one swing. That already happens in baseball.

I'm 45 and think the Minnesota game is epic, particularly since they got the outdoor stadium. But I am steeped in the rich heritage of the Greater Fort Dodge metropolitan area and am a huge fan of the pig. I think it's one of the 5 best rivalry games/trophies in the sport. In an era where everyone is trying to make fake shit like the Land Grant Trophy and whatever those shitbag trophies they do for the ISU or Nebraska game the importance of long-standing rivalries needs to stand out. In state and border games are what this sport is all about and Iowa-Minnesota is a legendary series. I don't know how you can live so close to the border of that shithole and not hate them.
For sure. The soul of college football is the geographic/cultural element to it. And most great rivalries involve geography (usually proximity) and culture.

You'll never convince me that Delany didn't cause a ton of long term damage to the Big Ten by diluting so many rivalries by expanding. I barely like Nebraska in there, much less Maryland and Rutgers.

For sure. The soul of college football is the geographic/cultural element to it. And most great rivalries involve geography (usually proximity) and culture.

You'll never convince me that Delany didn't cause a ton of long term damage to the Big Ten by diluting so many rivalries by expanding. I barely like Nebraska in there, much less Maryland and Rutgers.

I don't like the addition of Maryland, Rutgers and Nebraska, but Nebraska makes some sense and Maryland is okay, but Rutgers has absolutely positively no business in the Big Ten. None. They don't have any fans. You see Terp fans no matter where you go in America, you see 'Braska fans, you see Iowa fans, etc., but you never see Rutgers fans, even in their own backyard, NYC. I was early on my prediction of when the cable based economic model would collapse, but I am absolutely positive it will collapse and when it does is when Rutgers is really gonna hurt the conference. Delany didn't foresee that one at all.

It depends on how you define damage. If the only things that matter to you are traditions and the purity of existing rivalries within your program, I agree. That is damage.

If you measure success or damage in other ways, say enough revenue to purchase a small country, Delaney did his job. Money is going to trump tradition everyday of the week when talking about the type of revenue Delaney went out and got. Don't believe me? Exhibit A is Nebraska leaving the Big 12 for a payday and a ticket to irrelevance.

Latest posts