Big month coming up: We need better recruits...

VenturaAce

...and a lot of them. This year's talent level was far off from where Iowa FB has been and I find the upcoming month of recruiting as one of the more crucial recruiting season's we've had in a long time.

...and a lot of them. This year's talent level was far off from where Iowa FB has been and I find the upcoming month of recruiting as one of the more crucial recruiting season's we've had in a long time.

exactly. coaches are only good as the talent on the field. that is true with any sport, any age level. our coaches just didn't all of a sudden get dumb.

attrition is what has hurt Iowa more than anything - especially at one position. Unreal the amount of guys we have lost at DL and RB.

Return to recruiting football players not star-ratings.....

1. Find out who the toughest SOB's are in recruiting area
2. Do not recruit an o-lineman unless he is 6'5" or taller - must have a mean-streak

I get a kick out of everyone complaining about schemes and coaching. We have 7-6 talent this year. We went 7-6. We need to recruit more explosive talent. Oklahoma had 7-8 offensive skills guys who were explosive fast-twitch muscle guys. They could move in space, accelerate, change direction. We have Davis is decently explosive (but can't catch) and McNutt and Coker who are successful with size. The rest of our skill guys we played clearly are not explosive division one athletes. Without RB's, QB's, WR's, that can make plays in space, create separation, ect... its hard to consistently score.

Our entire defense lacks explosion. Oklahoma's back 7 could really close ground and strike, allowing them to play a lot more multiple defenses (zone blitzing, man coverage, cover 1, they were doing a fair amount of stuff last night). Daniels and Binns are adequately athletic, but the rest our DL is fairly limited athletically or so young it doesn't matter. LB's have some speed, but are small and not imposing strikers (I like Hitchens ... he seems fairly explosive). Our D has been good when it has explosive individual athletes (Greenway, Sanders, Roth, Clayborn, Angerer, ect...) and we need to find some of those guys quickly.

exactly. coaches are only good as the talent on the field. that is true with any sport, any age level. our coaches just didn't all of a sudden get dumb.

Our talent is poor, but don't they I'm giving the coaching staff a "pass" on this. They are responsible to recruiting sufficient talent to Iowa each year and they have failed the past few years, as the cupboard was very bare this year. Too many kids from Humboldt, Solon, Kalona, Keokuk DM Lincoln, kids that are good kids and can contribute to Iowa as role players as upperclassmen, but we were RELYING upon them to make a difference in the B1G. Not a good approach for a KF coaching staff that should do better and have proven they can. They need a big off season to build this program back to where it needs to be.

The good bowl is a by product of a loyal fan base that follows our mediocre team each bowl season and a completely TOXIC situation in State College, PA, that allowed us to jump up a few bowls. We need better players, plain and simple.

Our talent is poor, but don't they I'm giving the coaching staff a "pass" on this. They are responsible to recruiting sufficient talent to Iowa each year and they have failed the past few years, as the cupboard was very bare this year. Too many kids from Humboldt, Solon, Kalona, Keokuk DM Lincoln, kids that are good kids and can contribute to Iowa as role players as upperclassmen, but we were RELYING upon them to make a difference in the B1G. Not a good approach for a KF coaching staff that should do better and have proven they can. They need a big off season to build this program back to where it needs to be.

The good bowl is a by product of a loyal fan base that follows our mediocre team each bowl season and a completely TOXIC situation in State College, PA, that allowed us to jump up a few bowls. We need better players, plain and simple.

i don't discount the fact that the staff is responsible for all phases of the program. i don't discount the staff is ultimately responsible for who they bring in and who doesn't make it the whole way. recruiting to iowa is an incredibly hard job - to have success here it is imperative to have 4/5 year guys for depth and development. iowa is in a phase now of playing young players and that fruit will bear out in a couple years, just like it did after the same thing happened 06/07.

We are getting these type of players the last few seasons. Now we just need to keep them in Iowa City. Looking back at the 2008 and 2009 recruiting classes (which should more or less be the upperclassmen on this team), the recruiting and retention was horrendous.

2008: 0 4*, 13 3*, 12 2*
-The only starters from this recruiting class are Ferentz, Prater, Reiff, and Vandenberg.
-Twelve of the 25 recruits (or 48%) are no longer with the team.
-Six of our highest rated recruits (all 3*) are no longer with the team (roughly 46%).

2009: 2 4*, 4 3*, 13 2*
-The only starters from this recruiting class are Keenan Davis, Micah Hyde, and Dominic Alvis (injured).
-68 percent of the class was comprised of 2* players. Between these 13 players, they had a total of 9 BCS offers (and 5 of them were from one player, who is no longer with the team).

I am not against signing a handful of 2* "diamond in the rough" recruits each year. Some of our best players have lowly ranked recruits. But when the majority of your class is comprised by kids with few other BCS offers, something is wrong.

I get a kick out of everyone complaining about schemes and coaching. We have 7-6 talent this year. We went 7-6. We need to recruit more explosive talent. Oklahoma had 7-8 offensive skills guys who were explosive fast-twitch muscle guys. They could move in space, accelerate, change direction. We have Davis is decently explosive (but can't catch) and McNutt and Coker who are successful with size. The rest of our skill guys we played clearly are not explosive division one athletes. Without RB's, QB's, WR's, that can make plays in space, create separation, ect... its hard to consistently score.

Our entire defense lacks explosion. Oklahoma's back 7 could really close ground and strike, allowing them to play a lot more multiple defenses (zone blitzing, man coverage, cover 1, they were doing a fair amount of stuff last night). Daniels and Binns are adequately athletic, but the rest our DL is fairly limited athletically or so young it doesn't matter. LB's have some speed, but are small and not imposing strikers (I like Hitchens ... he seems fairly explosive). Our D has been good when it has explosive individual athletes (Greenway, Sanders, Roth, Clayborn, Angerer, ect...) and we need to find some of those guys quickly.

Great points. I think Iowa's relative lack of explosiveness becomes really evident when playing a team like OU.

Here's OU's recruiting rankings (rivals):

2012 #6
2011 #14
2010 #7
2009 #13
2008 #6
2007 #14

This team is deep, talented, and fast. Like LSU, tOSU, etc. The talent differential really shows up.

Having said that, if Iowa had a better game plan and QB production in the first half, they could've won last night. The lines played really well, and the defense did an amazing job overall.

I still have faith in the hawks, but I agree with others...Iowa needs to put together a couple of above average recruiting classes if they want to run with the big, fast dogs. I think this current recruiting class has a lot of potential, but I'm not an expert.

I think that you have to be specific when looking at recruits and the recruiting process. Take this 2012 class that will be coming in next year.

1) It's not over and they only have 16 commits. So there is work to be done. IF they can land Garmon, some more big time O-lineman, and athleticism on D, it would be great.

2) But, Iowa needs to recruit better, period. With all of these post-bowl game forums about the offseason, recruiting, the direction of the program...it all comes down to recruiting. We need to recruit bigger, faster, more motivated, smarter, skilled, and deeper classes. It sounds like everyone isn't satisfied with 7-5 or 7-6. Obviously, that is understandable, all 7-6 is is average, mediocre. But to win championships you have to bring in more championship caliber athletes than Iowa has been doing.

2) BUT with that being said, I still believe in the way Iowa recruits. Call me crazy, but the results are there. See point #2, we need to recruit better (not necessary star ratings) but better. Yet I still think that Doyle can work his magic, that that exists. It isn't as consistent as I would like, but it does happen. Iowa does bring in two star players and turn them into NFL caliber athletes, many programs can't say that. I think guys like Tevaun Smith and Daumantas Venckus look like pretty good athletes. Add Greg Mabin in there as well, I think those guys are potentially "steal recruits" diamond in the rough types. Iowa still recruits those guys and has success. KMM was not a big recruit by any means, but I think that he's a pretty good player. K Davis was a huge recruit and he's good too, but I'm not impressed by him. Something to think about.

In my opinion, to post a link to the ESPN recruiting top 150 list is stupid and trying to make a point that is poorly aimed.

racer - agree.

last night iowa had to play a near perfect game. hardly came close to that and at one point relatively deep into the game it was 21-14.

too many dumb mistakes, dropped balls, untimely penalties, etc.

to be in the game like they were says something positive about the program, IMO.

Imagine being in the fertile recruiting area that Oklahoma is and having the brand equity that Oklahoma has. Hard to imagine as a lifelong Iowa fan.

Latest posts