Big Four Doubleheader Announcement

Great news. I am looking for to taking in the game. I am a little surprised that they don't break the tickets up for each session versus one ticket gets you in for both games. You could be looking at a lot of empty seats (i.e. ISU/Drake game ends) and 7,000 people leave ... Some fans may stick around for a little but most will empty out. Why not let fans buy individual tickets to watch their teams. And let a couple of hours pass for the second contest to start ... That being said, I like the idea to have it here in DSM ... Will be fun ...

i would much rather play UNI for $500,00 than a sun belt team for a $1,000,000. keep the money in state and UNI is usually better competition anyways.

I would rather drop Drake completely. They serve no purpose. UNI is a good team to play each year and rotate playing in CF and IC. UNI looks like they should be a pretty good team each year so it's a decent test and is not a bad win or a bad loss.

Drake is worthless.

So I agree on years where Iowa does not play Drake this is a great thing.
Drake is better competition and would hold better fan interest than the Chicago States of the world.

Drake is better competition and would hold better fan interest than the Chicago States of the world.

Absolutely true, but Chicago State doesn't ask for a return game at their place...and there's the rub. Iowa and Iowa State don't want the potential of that loss anymore.

Aren't most places a log jam when it's sold out? Heck the metrodome was a cluster after Twins games in which only 20,000 showed up. T-wolves games are the same way after the game. If u don't like it, stay home and watch it on tv

Absolutely true, but Chicago State doesn't ask for a return game at their place...and there's the rub. Iowa and Iowa State don't want the potential of that loss anymore.

ISU maybe, but in the last 10 years iowa is 7-3 versus drake and 5-5 vs UNI so its not like iowa is going up there and getting their ***** kicked.

ISU maybe, but in the last 10 years iowa is 7-3 versus drake and 5-5 vs UNI so its not like iowa is going up there and getting their ***** kicked.

In most years though, that looks like 8 bad losses...and 12-8 isn't exactly lighting it up...this is purely and simply wanting another home game vs a cupcake instead of having to hit the road every other year to play perceived cupcakes who know you as well as your conference opponents do.

I think it clears the way for a home and home with a BCS school,like UCLA or Oregon,or Kansas St. ect....Iowa only has so many slots for true home and home series,and I for one do not like wasting them on UNI and Drake. This is a good solution. Now when we play ISU at home,we can go on the road to a Big 12 or Pac 12 team,instead of playing both UNI and ISU at home or on the road every other year. Split it up.

I almost got excited thinking that Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax, were going to play their Big 4 tour in Des Moines! hahaha lol. Did you hear Slayer & Slipknot will be headlining the Mayhem Festival this year? Tickets also went up to $45 each. I went to the last 2 festivals in Phoenix with my 20 yr old son . It's a pretty rowdy event.

Well, hopefully Iowa will win "The Big Four" state of Iowa NCAA b-ball crown every year..."GO HAWKS!!"

This would be an awesome concept if it was a tournament, but it isn't. So this is a waste of a home game every other year to everyone involved. Last year UNI sold out hosting Iowa and all the instate schools are a decent draw at CHA. I do not understand what they are doing. I would much rather see Iowa play Drake than Chicago State.

They were talking about it on the radio this morning and I think people are vastly overestimating the number of people that will stay for both games. I'm sorry but I have 2 kids and I'm not staying for 5+ hours in any arena unless ISU is playing a 10 overtime game.

If they are concerned about traffic why don't they have a 12:00 tip and a 4:00 tip? I'm sorry if they can't get it cleared out in that much time we have some major freakin' problems. It's a Saturday in December in Des Moines. There is literally nothing happening downtown then.

Bud, the four universities did not come together on this. Iowa and ISU decided this was what was going to happen. It is bad for both Drake and UNI.

Bud, the four universities did not come together on this. Iowa and ISU decided this was what was going to happen. It is bad for both Drake and UNI.

Can you explain what advantage this has for Iowa or Iowa State? The way I see it a move like this only gets them 1 extra home game. You are giving up a home game against Drake/UNI where you can draw 12K to add an extra game against another cream puff that draws 8k. Instead you give everyone the burden of extra travel expenses to go to Des Moines to play a game where you split the revenue 4 ways.

I know most people here could care less about UNI/Drake but this is a horrible deal for them. IMO, this is a horrible deal for the entire state as games like this create excitement for college basketball.

Latest posts