BIG against the top 25

Hawk1960

Kind of a startling stat, the B1G overall is only 5-20 against Top 25 teams so far this year. It does not appear the league will be as brutal from top to bottom as the last couple years. Wisconsin, MSU, OSU and Michigan are a combined 0 - 8. On a positive note, the Hawks have played the most Top 25 teams (5) and are 2-3 with both wins on the road. No other B1G team has played more than 3 games against the top 25.

http://bigtennetwork.stats.com/cbk/standings.asp?conf=003

Wisconsin played Duke and no one else, and they have some pretty good wins that are not AP top 25 wins, so you can forgive them for their part in the 0-8. I was thinking about this the other day, wondering what kind of good wins the B1G has to offset the NJIT-type losses everyone is talking about. Wisconsin and Maryland have some good ones, Iowa has @UNC and @OSU...Indiana beat Butler at a neutral site, Nebraska beat Cincinnati at home, Minnesota beat Georgia at a neutral site...the answer is not very many good wins.

The best wins for the conference by far are Maryland over ISU and iowa over UNC. Imo Iowa is in after winning at OSU as long as you can avoid a Rutgers Type loss.

Kind of a startling stat, the B1G overall is only 5-20 against Top 25 teams so far this year. It does not appear the league will be as brutal from top to bottom as the last couple years. Wisconsin, MSU, OSU and Michigan are a combined 0 - 8. On a positive note, the Hawks have played the most Top 25 teams (5) and are 2-3 with both wins on the road. No other B1G team has played more than 3 games against the top 25.

http://bigtennetwork.stats.com/cbk/standings.asp?conf=003

Wisconsin has wins over Oklahoma and Georgetown who are both ranked in the top 25, so that stat is wrong.

The best wins for the conference by far are Maryland over ISU and iowa over UNC. Imo Iowa is in after winning at OSU as long as you can avoid a Rutgers Type loss.

Man I hope you are right. I just think we would be sweating it out on Selection Sunday again if we go 10-8, and end up 19-12. The good thing is we already have 2 great wins on the road, which do carry a lot of weight with the committee. Like you said, we absolutely have to avoid laying an egg at some point.

For references, last year a 19-13 Nebraska team got an 11 seed, and a 20-12 Iowa team was a 12 seed play in team. I would feel much, much better if we won 11 or 12 B1G games.....then we are in for sure.

Man I hope you are right. I just think we would be sweating it out on Selection Sunday again if we go 10-8, and end up 19-12. The good thing is we already have 2 great wins on the road, which do carry a lot of weight with the committee. Like you said, we absolutely have to avoid laying an egg at some point.

For references, last year a 19-13 Nebraska team got an 11 seed, and a 20-12 Iowa team was a 12 seed play in team. I would feel much, much better if we won 11 or 12 B1G games.....then we are in for sure.

If we finish 12-6 we might get 2nd in the conference.

If we go 12-6 we are a lock for the NCAA. I'm just worried if we go 10-8 and 0-1 in the BTT....

If we go 10-8 with no Rutgers-type losses, the two road wins over ranked teams should give us a leg up on any other bubble teams.

This team will be inconsistent all year long. I simply do not trust the Iowa back court will be consistent enough to avoid a bad loss or two. I think we(as fans) are going to be sweating it on selection Sunday.

I think 10 wins is a must but I think iowa gets in. You've got two top 50 road wins already... That is more than many teams will have at the end of the season. The road wins are huge. Cannot be overstated.

12-6? How about 2-0 first? Whoopee we beat Ohio State. Now lets back it up. Remember what happened after we beat UNC? Major bed poopidge against Iowa State

Wisconsin has wins over Oklahoma and Georgetown who are both ranked in the top 25, so that stat is wrong.
Good catch. :rolleyes: Probably not the first time the BTN web site was wrong. On a related matter, why can't BTN hire a kid who knows how to design a web site? It's really poorly done.

If we go 12-6 we are a lock for the NCAA. I'm just worried if we go 10-8 and 0-1 in the BTT....

I'm more worried about going 6-12! I was guilty of visions of grandeur after the win @ Ohio State and the first half of the season last year. Not gonna let that happen again. We just got thru having our heads handed to us by Ia. St. and No. Iowa! If it wasn't an abberation, Ohio State is VASTLY over rated. If the team doesn't keep it's head on it's shoulders any more than some fans are at this point, Nebraska could easily come in here Monday and clock us! My advice is to keep it real until there's a reason to get all jacked up. It avoids the huge letdown that inevitably follows here when things don't go as 'expected'.

Good catch. :rolleyes: Probably not the first time the BTN web site was wrong. On a related matter, why can't BTN hire a kid who knows how to design a web site? It's really poorly done.

I don't follow weekly rankings early in the season, but is it possible they were not ranked at the time they played? Sometimes that's the reason a win is or isn't counted in the "Top 25" games stats. Anyways, both are still good wins by wisconsin regardless if they were "top 25" wins or not.

I don't follow weekly rankings early in the season, but is it possible they were not ranked at the time they played? Sometimes that's the reason a win is or isn't counted in the "Top 25" games stats. Anyways, both are still good wins by wisconsin regardless if they were "top 25" wins or not.

This is correct. Oklahoma and Georgetown were not ranked when Wisconsin beat them. Difference between "wins over ranked teams" and "wins over currently ranked teams."

Latest posts