Big 12 to stay together with just 10 teams?

I'm not saying it cant happen but I just don't think it will.

I don't think the confrerence is done being poached yet. Too many members ready to divorce Texas IMHO.

Interesting. How about the Big 14??? They could always add teams. Say, TCU, Utah, Boise State & BYU... That would be a superconference, as those 4 schools easily add more than Colorado and Nebraska. Much more.
Those four teams are in the top 25. It would be a conference as good as any in the country or darn close year after year...

Who is really wanting to divorce Texas at this point? A & M or Tech? Not likely.
OK or OKSt? I suppose since they have a place to go,maybe. The rest? Hell, Texas is their saviour in this scenario.

I hope this happens...I am no friend of ISU but I do not want this fate for them either. C'mon Texas, take all the money but let the conference survive.

If this plan becomes a reality then Iowa state will play Texas and Oklahoma every year but will also need to drop a non-conference game.

I see this plan as a tougher road to travel in football for Iowa State. ISU will be trading at least one probable win with an improbable win every year going forward, thus likely affecting their won loss record to the negative.

On the other hand this might be the best of the possible scenarios for ISU.

Regardless, whatever happens it does not appear Iowa State will be in a better economic setting, at least in the short term, than they would be had the Big Twelve Conference remained intact.

But ISU might not lose ten million they are now getting either....I think right now they would be on their knees praying for the status quo over losing everything.

Actually, if this does happen, ISU comes out much better financially. The new TV deal with Fox that would couple the Pac 10 and Big 12 is expected to be worth 17 million per school...a hefty increase from the current TV income. So IF the Big 12 hangs on, ISU stands to make a hefty improvement in its revenue. That said, apparently ISU, KU, KSU, and MU have been given an offer to join the Big East...I'm not so sure we shouldn't just take it given the lack of trust that now exists between the North and South divisions of the Big 12. Its a tough call.

A pretty water-downed conference. Two marquee teams and the rest...I would think playing "the rest" won't do much for Texas or Ok in the BCS rankings. The conference is only goint to get one team in the BCS because of the league IMO because they won't be playing anyone. They get the automatic bid to they will get one team in the BCS but that is it, the other teams will get minor bowls. Other than OK and TX there are no other teams in the conference.

Even the clowns would have a chance at a decent record in that league...three losses (Iowa, Ok, and Texas) then the rest, three teams just a little better than them. Heck they even have a chance of finishing 7th or 8th in the conference.

Last edited:
Sounds like its gaining steam. Maybe we won't have mass re-alignment as predicted previously.

Orangebloods.com - New proposal to save Big 12 with 10 teams being considered by UT

This is the best scenario for the Whorns:

> They get their Bevo Network (at the expense of the other teams in the conference.

> They get to keep their groveling, boot licking conference commissioner and continue to lead him around by his nose ring.

> They get nine other teams that will constantly suck up to them and tell them how wonderful and great they are.

> The get total control and domination of the conference.

A pretty water-downed conference. Two marquee teams and the rest...I would think playing "the rest" won't do much for Texas or Ok in the BCS rankings. The conference is only goint to get one team in the BCS because of the league IMO because they won't be playing anyone. They get the automatic bid to they will get one team in the BCS but that is it, the other teams will get minor bowls. Other than OK and TX there are no other teams in the conference.

Even the clowns would have a chance at a decent record in that league...three losses (Iowa, Ok, and Texas) then the rest, three teams just a little better than them. Heck they even have a chance of finishing 7th or 8th in the conference.

The Iowa game would likely be dropped in a 10 team league situation. I've heard rumblings that both AD's feel the animosity between the two schools has grown exponentially in the past few years, and cancelling the series might be best. Plus ISU is going to want to schedule more winnable non-conference games, it only makes sense.

Actually, if this does happen, ISU comes out much better financially. The new TV deal with Fox that would couple the Pac 10 and Big 12 is expected to be worth 17 million per school...a hefty increase from the current TV income. So IF the Big 12 hangs on, ISU stands to make a hefty improvement in its revenue. That said, apparently ISU, KU, KSU, and MU have been given an offer to join the Big East...I'm not so sure we shouldn't just take it given the lack of trust that now exists between the North and South divisions of the Big 12. Its a tough call.

If ISU, KU, KSU, and MU do have Big East offers, they should go. Even if Texas agrees to stay now (which would likely convince everyone else to stay), Texas is still in a position to shop around at any point.

If ISU, KU, KSU, and MU do have Big East offers, they should go. Even if Texas agrees to stay now (which would likely convince everyone else to stay), Texas is still in a position to shop around at any point.

The 4 north teams are in a better position than people think. They have time to let things play out a bit since they all have Big East offers in hand. Worst case scenario is joining the Big East and adding a few teams if some get picked off.

Last year the Big East gave $3 mil to each member. Beebe has promised $17mil to each member. The Big East MAY be a better option for ISU's football team, but it would be a much worse option for the athletic department.

Ok let's take a look at this supposed big TV contract. This guy who has done nothing to save the Big 12 now claims he can get the conference a TV deal that will rival the SEC and ACC. My question is who would be willing to pay that for basically Texas and to a lesser degree Oklahoma? The Big 12 now has 1 great state (Texas), one decent state (Missouri) and 3 small states. Add to that the possibility that Texas would be allowed to go on there own so you wont be able to count on them for your programing. What network would payout that kind of money for telecasting ISU vs Kansas St (since Texas would have there own network)? Plus you lose the championship game.

Would Big 12 get more money in the new contract? Of course. The money is always going up. The Big 10 is going to get more on their next contract too. But, the kind of numbers being thrown around without 100% participation of Texas? No way. Sorry I think we have a commissioner throwing around numbers that are more wishfull thinking than real.

Even though I don't believe the numbers I think there is a chance the Big 12 survives. I'm still not convinced Texas wants to give up the control they currently have. If they move to anyother conference they will have to act as an equal, not the dictator. Not sure Texas can accept those conditions.

Last edited:
But ISU might not lose ten million they are now getting either....I think right now they would be on their knees praying for the status quo over losing everything.

Wait a minute. Who says ISU is getting $10 mill from the Big 12? The numbers I've been reading say that Texas is getting about $10 mill from the Big 12, and they have the largest share. Mizzou was only getting about $7 mill, which is why they were/are so interested in the Big Ten. I'd think that would put ISU at about $5 mill, maybe less?

Last year the Big East gave $3 mil to each member. Beebe has promised $17mil to each member. The Big East MAY be a better option for ISU's football team, but it would be a much worse option for the athletic department.

That's true, but how confident are you that any commitment made by Texas is long term?

Iowa State to Mr Beebe, Show Me the Money not the promise of it. Where are the households that can generate this kind of money? A little suspicious if you ask me.

I personally vote for the Big East. I'm sick of Texas...a big TV contract is great but the future of the conference is all about Texas. I'd prefer a conference in which all of the schools are valued as equals. Primus inter pares is one thing, flat out Imperator...no thanks.

My belief is that the Big East, with its new additions, could score a TV contract very nearly as good as the one a 10 team Big 12 will be getting....and the potential for a Big East TV network is there as well (not so in the Big 12).

You need to do your homework. Thats 17 mil SPLIT between the schools.

Latest posts