Big 10 officiating

tweeterhawk

The officiating in last night's Indiana game was the worst I have seen in a D1 game in a long, long time. I say that as an Iowa fan whose team won going away.

I have long criticized Ted Valentine and Ed Hightower, who I believe to be two of the weakest officials in NCAA Division 1 basketball. But this crew tonight absolutely was not up to the task.

Before I proceed let me explain that I am a professional referee in another sport other than basketball or football. And professionally I should not call into question the work of another official, either in my sport or another one. But the performance I witnessed last night was an embarrassment to my profession, and I feel compelled to speak out.

As a sports official working with others as part of our own team, I have developed a sort of WTF meter. The first two letters stand for What The, and I will let you guess the third. I use that when I work with other referees in my team on specific games. If my WTF meter rises to a cerain level of discomfort, I will request to no longer work with one or two of those specific partners.

My WTF meter was extraordinarily high this game. Some calls went against Iowa; some went against Indiana. There were a number of calls that simply were not made. I was left wondering on Andrew Brommer's drive to the basket whether the Big 10 had obtained an NCAA exception that allowed a defender to grab an attacker's hand and/or arm to strip the ball, because that was clearly what occurred in plain sight of the referee. Yet nothing was called. That was probably the least of the instances in which I felt the officials swallowed their whistles.

I am amazed that Big 10 officials allow Tom Crean to walk so far outside of the coach's box, to walk on the floor and to engage in discussion with the officials and to not get a technical foul. He clearly has earned one. If the conference uad decided to crack down on such behavior, this simply would not happen. Tom Crean would be made an example of behavior not to emulate.

Moments after switching the channel at the end of the Iowa-Indiana game I caught the replay of the Syracuse-Villanova game. Watching the entire game, I was struck by the competency of the Big East crew that handled this game relative to that of crews for recent Big 10 games.

They allowed play to continue, yet largely in what I felt was a fair and consistent manner. Only the fouls that needed to be called were called. The game had a flow, a beauty, a continuity. I would imagine the players appreciated playing in such a manner, having a pretty good idea of what would and would not be called, and playingcordingly. My WTF meter was pretty low, and mostly dealt with a couple of balls out of play.

I feel that consistency is sorely lacking in Big 10 officiating, leading to basketball that unfortunately often is ugly to watch. I suspect that Big 10 teams pay the price when it comes to tournament time -- the aggressive bumping or hacking that is allowed in Big 10 games becomes a foul in the NCAA or NIT tournaments.

I am left wondering what sort of evaluation takes place in the Big 10 and what sort of re-training or upgrading takes place. Because it clearly is not having the intended effect of producing a better game.

My favorite call was when one Hoosier elbowed his teammate hard enough to knock him off stride and May, who was trailing the player, got called for a foul. The commentators said nothing about it and I think the BTN must have a policy of not replaying and/or commenting on bad calls.

Bad officiating is all over. Mid major conferences have worse, WBB is worse than mens, and for a real laugh try a D-III WBB game. What are ya gonna do?

Some good points, Tweeter. I have a question - I know some of the Big 10 officials also work in other conferences (at least I see them work other games). Refs like Hartzell, Hightower, and Welmer have called games in the Big 12 or other conferences (in the preseason at least). This may not be true of all Big 10 refs. Also, the Big 10 conference has always been known for its' physical play. Do you think they call games differently in the Big 10? Or, is it an overall mindset for the referees of how Big 10 games are to be called? I am just curious.

Totally agree...this one was just terrible. It was probably going to be an ugly game anyway but when you have the refs calling every touch on the perimeter and then swallowing the whistles on some of those plays under the basket it just left me scratching my head.

The noly thing that bothered me about the officiating is that they kept calling so many fouls. I just wanted the game to be over with. It was painful enough to watch, but those jerks just kept it going. I think they had the double bonus at around 6 minutes in the 2nd half.

The noly thing that bothered me about the officiating is that they kept calling so many fouls. I just wanted the game to be over with. It was painful enough to watch, but those jerks just kept it going. I think they had the double bonus at around 6 minutes in the 2nd half.

With 10 minutes to go in the second half Indiana had 10 fouls and Iowa had 9. It was ridiculous

Latest posts