Bielema contract extended to 2020

It was a rebuilding year and it was with a tough schedule. Also multiple games that were close losses. We had about as easy of schedule as you can get and we got dominated by Minnesota.

Even if things were going really well with the football program we would still have a problem right now.

The issue is the contract expires in 5 seasons. This means this is the last recruiting class KF can guarantee that he will see graduate assuming he finishes the contract which is a big IF and assuming no more extensions. This becomes a Tom Davis situation and recruiting wise every school will use this against us.

So the options after this year are pay the buyout to let him go, extend the contract a year, name a coach-in-waiting or do nothing. Recruiting is going to get tougher than it already is.

Even if things were going really well with the football program we would still have a problem right now.

The issue is the contract expires in 5 seasons. This means this is the last recruiting class KF can guarantee that he will see graduate assuming he finishes the contract which is a big IF and assuming no more extensions. This becomes a Tom Davis situation and recruiting wise every school will use this against us.

So the options after this year are pay the buyout to let him go, extend the contract a year, name a coach-in-waiting or do nothing. Recruiting is going to get tougher than it already is.

Don't see how it could hurt our recruiting any more. They know he'll be around for another 5 years and he still lands classes in the 50 to 60's. Every kid that goes to a school in rebuild mode has to know it is a crap shoot if the coach will still be there for their entire time at school.

Don't see how it could hurt our recruiting any more. They know he'll be around for another 5 years and he still lands classes in the 50 to 60's. Every kid that goes to a school in rebuild mode has to know it is a crap shoot if the coach will still be there for their entire time at school.

True. That's why I also don't think it means a lot that BB signed through 2020.. He could still bolt any time he wants, if a better offer comes along.

And I still laugh when people point out that Bielema only won 7 games this year as "proof" that he is a mediocre coach.. You'd have to be blind not to see how quickly Arkansas is improving, and that 7 wins against that meat grinder of a schedule was actually pretty solid. Lots of close losses against good teams as well.

I see Bielema as a fading possibility for Iowa for a variety of reasons but especially if he continues to turn the Arkansas program around. I think you better start growing other names. We are not going to compete with the USC's, tOSU's, MI's, ND's, and others for a prized coach and that's what Bielema would become if he turns Arkansas around and becomes a contender in the SEC.

You might be able to make the math work when it comes to showing we can pay the Ferentz buyout as well as offer another 4-5 million plus contract for multiple years but that doesn't mean it will happen. Being willing and being able are two different issues especially coming off what could be one of the worst contracts in college football history. You could mortgage your future for an even longer time if you orchestrate another big dollar/long tenure contract that fails.

If Ferentz steps down early on his own then possibilities are expanded. By the way, I did see that the new Bielema contract has a non-compete with other SEC schools.

The Bowl Season exposed the SEC West for what it is, the most overrated division in all of college football. Arkansas is about the same as Northwestern right now, if Bert hadn't sent that embarrassing letter to their AD in Arkansas he would still be begging Barry for a bowl of porridge for his staff to share over the holidays in Madison.

Latest posts