BHGP Ohio State Game & State of the Program

Pretty good read, but I am not sure about a couple of things:

"Gary Barta and the athletic department have to decide how to schedule for next year's team, where wins help the program but the only teams that'll draw interested fans would probably beat the Hawkeyes."

I'm not sure it's the opponent that the fans need to be interested, so much as it is the HAWKEYES the fans need to be interested in.

"Meanwhile, the Iowa football team has conducted one hire and zero fires in the past 30 years."

Hayden Fry, a HOF coach, and Kirk Ferentz, who very well could be headed that direction. At any rate, Ferentz has led us to one of the most successful decades of football in school history, or certainly right up there. Firing hasn't exactly been necessary with our FB program, so I'm not quite sure if this statement is relevant. It doesn't tell me that Iowa doesn't fire coaches so much as the football program has had an unbelievable run of coaching stability the past 3 decades.

"However, it can be successfully argued that because of issues beyond his control (returning talent level, unavoidable transfers), he has not had a sufficient opportunity to build a winner."

Are we sure about that? I can agree on the returning-talent part, but the transfers is a topic that we will not all agree on, and never will, but were all of these transfers "unavoidable"? This statement leaves a ton of room for debate.

Overall though, I agreed totally with the general theme of this article.

Pretty good read, but I am not sure about a couple of things:

"Gary Barta and the athletic department have to decide how to schedule for next year's team, where wins help the program but the only teams that'll draw interested fans would probably beat the Hawkeyes."

I'm not sure it's the opponent that the fans need to be interested, so much as it is the HAWKEYES the fans need to be interested in.

"Meanwhile, the Iowa football team has conducted one hire and zero fires in the past 30 years."

Hayden Fry, a HOF coach, and Kirk Ferentz, who very well could be headed that direction. At any rate, Ferentz has led us to one of the most successful decades of football in school history, or certainly right up there. Firing hasn't exactly been necessary with our FB program, so I'm not quite sure if this statement is relevant. It doesn't tell me that Iowa doesn't fire coaches so much as the football program has had an unbelievable run of coaching stability the past 3 decades.

"However, it can be successfully argued that because of issues beyond his control (returning talent level, unavoidable transfers), he has not had a sufficient opportunity to build a winner."

Are we sure about that? I can agree on the returning-talent part, but the transfers is a topic that we will not all agree on, and never will, but were all of these transfers "unavoidable"? This statement leaves a ton of room for debate.

Overall though, I agreed totally with the general theme of this article.

When we aren't very good and our style is very boring, who we play is very important these days, unfortunately.