BF on Identity of Iowa Offense

It's what makes him so damn smart to begin with... Getting a million large pretty much. Goes a long way in Iowa and without all the dog and pony show stuff that goes with the title of being HC. He speaks to the media just a small handful of times a year tops. Has full autonomy to run his D and recruit to it how he wants with the job security you mentioned that most assistant coaches only dream of having. He's just a smart smart guy and KF couldn't be luckier to have had him all this time.
Plus he is still the great Dbacks whisperer and gets some great athletes in the back 4.

Not really. I think Brian wants to be a power running team, but he is clearly a zone running team and he sucks at it. So he relies on his defense and specials teams to get by. Long story short.

Iowa offense under a microscope...nah just seeing it from your TV or the stands:

View attachment 8506
View attachment 8507

A really really good running team can demoralize an opponent and a more straight ahead power running team maybe even more than the stretch blocking team. But the stretch, outside zone blocking team when really successful just gets the defensive line sucking wind big time. Then you play action pass and there is no pass rush.

Iowa's best running teams did this very well, Wisky does it very well, Bama and others.

I have no problem with having a really good running game because one of the most exciting plays on offense, along with the long bomb, is a running back bursting through the LOS and past the lnbkrs into a long run.

A really really good running team can demoralize an opponent and a more straight ahead power running team maybe even more than the stretch blocking team. But the stretch, outside zone blocking team when really successful just gets the defensive line sucking wind big time. Then you play action pass and there is no pass rush.

Iowa's best running teams did this very well, Wisky does it very well, Bama and others.

I have no problem with having a really good running game because one of the most exciting plays on offense, along with the long bomb, is a running back bursting through the LOS and past the lnbkrs into a long run.
When Greene had the season he did that was fun to watch. A dominant running game is so demoralizing for a team to try and play against because as a coach you can scheme it up however you want but if you're guys are getting dominated and the RB either runs around you or through you it just doesn't matter.

Nowadays it's tougher to run the ball against teams that literally know what you're about to do based on what formation you're in and the down and distance situationally. Iowa gets to be way too predictable with it to the point that the D outnumbers us to where the ball is going at the snap a lot. Combine that with an Oline that's just not up to what's normally expected of them and that's where we were this yr for most of it...

When Greene had the season he did that was fun to watch. A dominant running game is so demoralizing for a team to try and play against because as a coach you can scheme it up however you want but if you're guys are getting dominated and the RB either runs around you or through you it just doesn't matter.

Nowadays it's tougher to run the ball against teams that literally know what you're about to do based on what formation you're in and the down and distance situationally. Iowa gets to be way too predictable with it to the point that the D outnumbers us to where the ball is going at the snap a lot. Combine that with an Oline that's just not up to what's normally expected of them and that's where we were this yr for most of it...

And we still won 10 games. Crazy where we would be with either a competent OC or O Line or both.

Iowa's best running teams had a big back as their main guy. Fred Russell, even though only 5'9", was pretty thick for his size, plus he got lost behind the huge o-line. Once Iowa started going to the smaller back, the running game has not been the same.

Translation: Our defense and special teams are really good, so I don't have to be.

I get his point that Iowa wins with complimentary football, but that can also be used as an excuse for an offense that was not very good this year. Iowa will never have a Top 25 offense because we huddle and run and punt and play field position. But, complimentary football does not mean its okay to not be able to score at all in big games.

I agree conceptually with his description of what Iowa offensive identity SHOULD BE, but he needs to own up to the fact that his offense failed to live up to this identity in 2021. Miserably.

I agree with what you said and then I meditated for a bit on "we play for field position". Who doesn't? Seems like that expression is an after-the-fact rationalization designed to make us feel good after punting. ... an admission that we really can't be expected to drive 70-80 yards.

I saw Pitt's #3 QB out there today. Purdue brought a QB along from way down the chart. Offense does not need to be as hard as it is at Iowa.

I agree with what you said and then I meditated for a bit on "we play for field position". Who doesn't? Seems like that expression is an after-the-fact rationalization designed to make us feel good after punting. ... an admission that we really can't be expected to drive 70-80 yards.
Yeah and then he throws in the wrestling/hockey references saying that it's easier to succeed in those sports because one player makes a much bigger difference - alluding to the idea that it's hard to coordinate 11 guys to execute. While that may be true in concept, it totally ignores the fact that there were 122 offenses better than Iowa's. Other teams do it just fine, it's not like fans are asking for perfection.

Last edited:

Latest posts