Better next year???

Correct, retention of a player like him is more valuable then anything we could find. If Perk comes back it immediately puts us in contention for a top 5 finish next seasson. If we get him back, I think Iowa still needs to get another gaurd in the portal, but that player will be more of a supplementary type of player that Iowa can rely on to get 10-15 a game to spell Harding, Dix and Perk.
If Perk returns and we don't lose any of the other guys who got minutes to the portal, then I think our biggest need is to find a 4 that can score. Another Krikke or Rebracha type. We don't have that right now. Koch is more of a PS type (stretch 3)

Another guard would be good too for depth, but we have three quality guards and the younger Sanford could drop down and play the 2, if needed.

I agree
If Perk returns and we don't lose any of the other guys who got minutes to the portal, then I think our biggest need is to find a 4 that can score. Another Krikke or Rebracha type. We don't have that right now. Koch is more of a PS type (stretch 3)

Another guard would be good too for depth, but we have three quality guards and the younger Sanford could drop down and play the 2, if needed.
I agree, I was kind of arguing with the Godfather (Jon Miller) on twitter yesterday. I was like, even if Perkins doesn't return I think Iowa is better next season and his sense was that our roster would be a disaster if Perkins leaves because we wouldn't have any guards. It's not like either Sandfort aren't basically 2's, and it's not like Dix can't play some 1 - they would definitely need another guard, maybe even 2 if Perk leaves....but I don't think Iowa takes a step back next year and I expect it to be near the top half of the league vs the bottom half just based off of what we think returns and what we think leaves.

Naah, you don’t need a 4 that can score…you need a 4 that can rebound and play some D. Currently, Payton Sandfort is your best rebounder, that has to change next year. Freeman and whoever they bring in at the 4 have to do more of the heavy lifting in that regard.

I think Pryce slides seamlessly into the Pmac role and may be better because he is a better shooter.

If Perk returns or not doesn’t matter. Fran needs to hand the car keys over to Harding at the point or he needs to go get somebody. Perk at the 2, playing downhill, just getting buckets is what you want if he returns.

Last edited:
Naah, you don’t need a 4 that can score…you need a 4 that can rebound and play some D. Currently, Payton Sandfort is your best rebounder, that has to change next year. Freeman and whoever they bring in at the 4 have to do more of the heavy lifting in that regard.

I think Pryce slides seamlessly into the Pmac role and may be better because he is a better shooter.

If Perk returns or not doesn’t matter. Fran needs to hand the car keys over to Harding at the point or he needs to go get somebody. Perk at the 2, playing downhill, just getting buckets is what you want if he returns.
I think Owen and Ladji will become good rebounders. Owen just got pushed out of the way, with damn few fouls called. Those freshmen will get bigger stronger and basketball wise. Remember, these were freshmen this year.

For some perspective, Owen Freeman had a higher freshman RPG than 9 of the 10 Iowa career leaders in rebounding, with an asterisk. Kevin Kunnert-Iowa's best rebounder was ineligible as a freshman (all freshmen were everywhere). Oddly enough the largely forgotten Michael Payne averaged 7.4 RPG as a freshman. Kevin would have really benefitted from the blocked shot stat arriving a few seasons sooner. KK could protect the rim. King did nothing as a freshman but then became a monster rebounder.​

If Iowa isn't better next yr and is in NIT again how would that go over? What if Iowa doesn't improve very much yet the BIG does? It's all what ifs but I sure hope Iowa is better next yr they can't stay the same or go a half step backwards.

I don't see Fran moving Dix out of the PG position and he does nothing to lose his starting role to Harding. Both are contributors and both should get 20-25 minutes, but IMHO, Dix is the starting PG next season.

Now if Perk does leave, then maybe you start Harding and Dix at the guards, Sanford, Transfer 4, and Freeman.

The only way Iowa gets better is to get a new coach!! Weak recruiting no defensive coaching and just a mediocre program. I can't believe they're not calling for Fran's head. I guess most of you stand for mediocracy.

The only way Iowa gets better is to get a new coach!! Weak recruiting no defensive coaching and just a mediocre program. I can't believe they're not calling for Fran's head. I guess most of you stand for mediocracy.
I agree 100 percent. It is time!

I like the prospect of Brock at the point feeding Dix and Peyton on the wings

Which should hopefully open things inside for Freeman

If Koch can make the starting five that would give us three sharpshooters on the floor

Latest posts