Better chance of going undefeated?

UTKSam

I brought this question up with one of my friends and he thinks I'm stupid for even suggesting this so I thought I would get some feed back. Who has a better chance of going undefeated, Iowa or Ohio State? Obviously first thought is OSU but when you look at scheduling matchups and returning players, I don't see how you can't give a decent look at this. OSU is a dog on the road to Michigan State whereas Iowa will likely be favored in all of their games with maybe only one of them being a dog. I think this is a fair argument and while I don't think Iowa will go undefeated, it makes for an interesting debate IMO.

Historically OSU. Iowa hasnt been undefeated since around 1920 so I wouldnt bet on it.

I would love to see it but these players better just be concentrating on grades, august camp, and UNI. period

I think this Iowa team will be, net, net, about as good as last year. Little better on offense, little worse on defense. This offense will not be the kind that will overpower anyone. There I said it. This offense will be ok but still not the kind that will get the D out of a hole. And we'll be throwing things and pulling our hair out just as we hawkeye fans always do. Yes there will be more big plays than last year (how could there not be? I think we've forgotten what excellence looks like in the black 'n gold.

I agree historically. I may be wrong on this so hopefully someone can correct me, but is this not the easiest schedule Iowa has ever had in a long while? I mean how long has it been since the 10th game of the season is likely the biggest test?

OSU, without question. The schedule thing is overblown. You still have to show up and play good football. I'll take the team with 5 stars and Urban Meyer to go undefeated.

It's not only that it's easy. It's that the two best teams on the schedule are not expected to be all that they usually are. Wisconsin and Nebraska have a lot to overcome this season. While Iowa may not have a great team they are expected to be good enough to do very well. Not having MSU and OSU are also big advantages.
Having spouted out all that old information, Iowa has the best chance to go undefeated. Ohio State's defense isn't looking much better than last year and they have Michigan State on their schedule.

Historically OSU. Iowa hasnt been undefeated since around 1920 so I wouldnt bet on it.

I would love to see it but these players better just be concentrating on grades, august camp, and UNI. period

Actually, 1922. Read Lamb & McGrane's "75 Years With the Fighting Hawkeyes" (covers 1889-1963) and Al Grady companion/follow-up "25 Years With the Fighting Hawkeyes" (covers 1964-1988).

Both GREAT reads, and I am currently in my read-once-a-year phase, somewhere around 1910.

Iowa just has to show it to me... Are the stars as aligned as much as they possibly could be? Yes. But without having them played a snap of football who knows. Games aren't played on paper or in the off season as cliche as that is. As far as Iowa being favored in all their games goes it'll just depend. Iowa could be a dog on the road in Pitt or MD even if they've won up to that point if say they didn't look that good in doing so in close games. Now if Iowa is undefeated going into the Wisky game and for the most part looked solid all year then yea I'd agree they could be favorites. Just so many ifs that it is fun to count them down and think about em. But I'm not going to Vegas to put any money down on Iowa running the table....

I think this Iowa team will be, net, net, about as good as last year. Little better on offense, little worse on defense. This offense will not be the kind that will overpower anyone. There I said it. This offense will be ok but still not the kind that will get the D out of a hole. And we'll be throwing things and pulling our hair out just as we hawkeye fans always do. Yes there will be more big plays than last year (how could there not be? I think we've forgotten what excellence looks like in the black 'n gold.

Hey Debbie Downer,

Eight returning starters sets you up to be a lot better on offense...add in a couple of new faces at the skill positions and well, you should be considerably better and I think we will be. The second year of a starting QB is also a big plus, especially one like Rudock who will continue to grow and improve. Now, let's look at the defense. Certainly we lost three great players...but the DLine they played with will be much better than last year...and deeper...so that helps offset the loss of the three LBs. Add in the fact that our new MLB is a 5th year senior and may be as good or better than the one we had. We are definitely going to have some growing pains on the outside at LB, but they are talented physical players...just young. If you look at the DB, two returners, but we just upgraded at the SS IMO. When you look at the other corner position, we aren't putting a freshman in there...these are guys that have some experience. This defense has a shot to be as good or better than last year as a whole. The other thing is that I think Phil Parker, Jim Reid, and Lavar Woods are as good as any in the country at what they do. Time will tell as we only have one year of data, but l certainly liked what they did last year.

Hey Debbie Downer,

Eight returning starters sets you up to be a lot better on offense...add in a couple of new faces at the skill positions and well, you should be considerably better and I think we will be. The second year of a starting QB is also a big plus, especially one like Rudock who will continue to grow and improve. Now, let's look at the defense. Certainly we lost three great players...but the DLine they played with will be much better than last year...and deeper...so that helps offset the loss of the three LBs. Add in the fact that our new MLB is a 5th year senior and may be as good or better than the one we had. We are definitely going to have some growing pains on the outside at LB, but they are talented physical players...just young. If you look at the DB, two returners, but we just upgraded at the SS IMO. When you look at the other corner position, we aren't putting a freshman in there...these are guys that have some experience. This defense has a shot to be as good or better than last year as a whole. The other thing is that I think Phil Parker, Jim Reid, and Lavar Woods are as good as any in the country at what they do. Time will tell as we only have one year of data, but l certainly liked what they did last year.

Spot on! And while the schedule sets up for us to do it we will lose at least 2 games this year. I'm just hoping we get a shot at the Title Game and possibly a shot at the playoffs!

Iowa just doesnt have the athletes to go undefeated, and you have to be extremely lucky to go unblemished. Look at Auburn last year, and Notre Dame (was that two years ago?) Those teams had very lucky, very impossible wins. Yes iowa has the schedule to do it, but id say if the 2002, 2004, or 2010 teams had this schedule, theyd easily go undefeated. So im going with 2-4 losses this year.

Iowa just doesnt have the athletes to go undefeated, and you have to be extremely lucky to go unblemished. Look at Auburn last year, and Notre Dame (was that two years ago?) Those teams had very lucky, very impossible wins. Yes iowa has the schedule to do it, but id say if the 2002, 2004, or 2010 teams had this schedule, theyd easily go undefeated. So im going with 2-4 losses this year.

That’s the sensible opinion.

Auburn actually had a loss last year, to LSU.

If we come out and throw the ball successfully then it will be a very successful year. Along with Weismann ramming it down their throats to soften up the secondary. Let the games begin. Looking forward to see how it all works out and hoping for the very best for the players and the coaches.

If KF goes ultra conservative then all bets are off. Hayden was very respected in the conference even though we kicked the crap out of opponents. I would love to see Iowa crush their opponents.

Latest posts