Beth Goetz article from the Athletic

CP87

She sounds like a pretty damn talented individual. Athletic is a subscription site:

I enjoyed the quote below...it feels like she started down a path, remembered who her Men's BB coach was, and added in a quick qualifier mid-sentence. Good catch by her.

“I’ve always been a processor,” Goetz said. “So as you are taking in information, I think it’s really important to be as steady as you can in those moments. To some extent, it’s a little bit like coaching, right? If you lose your mind on the sidelines, if you don’t think your athletes are paying attention to that — and some respond well, some coaches can — but I do think they feed off the energy of the coach."

I hope they make her permanent.
The media pretty much has cemented her in. They all are in her corner pretty much. Trent Conden might be the only one that I've seen anyway that's been calling for a national search to see who else is out there. I'm good with her getting it. I just hope they go about it the right way and do a national search too. Kick the tires at least. She might very well be the best fit and hire and if so great. I'll be curious how long they draw this out before deciding.

I don't think it was mentioned in the article, but Dochterman mentioned on recent podcast with Rob that she has already been growing the relationship with Iowa's collectives, something her predecessor was loathe to do.
This alone, shows that she gets it. Proactive instead of reactive will be a nice change.

The media pretty much has cemented her in. They all are in her corner pretty much. Trent Conden might be the only one that I've seen anyway that's been calling for a national search to see who else is out there. I'm good with her getting it. I just hope they go about it the right way and do a national search too. Kick the tires at least. She might very well be the best fit and hire and if so great. I'll be curious how long they draw this out before deciding.

Also, what would it look like or how would it be perceived if they didn't offer her the position? I'd think it would be a PR nightmare they would not want to answer to. They don't want those questions.

Also, what would it look like or how would it be perceived if they didn't offer her the position? I'd think it would be a PR nightmare they would not want to answer to. They don't want those questions.
Good point... Almost like they painted themselves into a corner. But it's one they wanted to be in. It does feel like hiring her full time was always the plan back when they first hired her on last Sept I think. That took place recently after Bartas last big settlement loss. I don't see any coincidences here. Iowa was looking to push Barta out finally and credit to the school. This is a seamless way of going about it. They may have just hit a home run for a change.

Still wait and see for me after decades of Barta, would like to see some results, but she does appear to be walking the walk so far.

Good point... Almost like they painted themselves into a corner. But it's one they wanted to be in. It does feel like hiring her full time was always the plan back when they first hired her on last Sept I think. That took place recently after Bartas last big settlement loss. I don't see any coincidences here. Iowa was looking to push Barta out finally and credit to the school. This is a seamless way of going about it. They may have just hit a home run for a change.

And it was a good chance to see how she would work with Ferentz, I think, like a probationary period. Let's be honest, the AD at Iowa has to be Ferentz approved, IMO.

And it was a good chance to see how she would work with Ferentz, I think, like a probationary period. Let's be honest, the AD at Iowa has to be Ferentz approved, IMO.
I actually do not think this is true. Barta was tied to KF's hip, but that was through a mutual decision to give KF a free hand and pay him a lot of money. The Iowa president makes the call on the new AD and I doubt needs KF's buy in. In fact, knowing that KF is closing in on retirement, and with a son as an unpopular OC, I suspect they want someone who won't be beholden to KF.

That said, I am sure everyone wants consensus, and I suspect KF will be a supporter of Beth along with seemingly everyone else.

I actually do not think this is true. Barta was tied to KF's hip, but that was through a mutual decision to give KF a free hand and pay him a lot of money. The Iowa president makes the call on the new AD and I doubt needs KF's buy in. In fact, knowing that KF is closing in on retirement, and with a son as an unpopular OC, I suspect they want someone who won't be beholden to KF.

That said, I am sure everyone wants consensus, and I suspect KF will be a supporter of Beth along with seemingly everyone else.

I just don't see this president really being that involved or totally invested as others in the past. Heck, I can't even remember her name. If anything, if she does play a large part in it and did hand pick Beth, I'm pretty sure KF and company had a lot of input.

I think you make a point that supports my thinking. I think KF may want to hand pick the next AD in in case or help Brian to maybe be chosen as the next HC. He may not be, but why wouldn't they want as much control as they could, with helping to choose the next AD?

I just don't see this president really being that involved or totally invested as others in the past. Heck, I can't even remember her name. If anything, if she does play a large part in it and did hand pick Beth, I'm pretty sure KF and company had a lot of input.

I think you make a point that supports my thinking. I think KF may want to hand pick the next AD in in case or help Brian to maybe be chosen as the next HC. He may not be, but why wouldn't they want as much control as they could, with helping to choose the next AD?
Despite popular thinking, football is not the most important thing on the campus as a whole and KF doesn't get to do anything he wants. Would he want to? Sure. Would he want to pick his boss? Who wouldn't? Would he like to pick his successor? I am sure.

But, IMHO KF will not get any of that. The AD is responsible for running the entire athletic department and reports to the president. The selection will be a consensus pick with all stakeholders weighing in, but Wilson is not going to pick whomever KF wants or a KF sycophant. That is by no means her reputation.

I lean towards agreeing with NorthKCHawk on this. 10 yrs ago yeah I'd totally agree with you. But I think Iowa has one eye on the future overall with this hire and she'll be replacing him sooner then later (along with most of the other major sports too). I honestly don't think appeasing KF had anything to do with this.

I lean towards agreeing with NorthKCHawk on this. 10 yrs ago yeah I'd totally agree with you. But I think Iowa has one eye on the future overall with this hire and she'll be replacing him sooner then later (along with most of the other major sports too). I honestly don't think appeasing KF had anything to do with this.

Yea, I work at the university and have for the last 30 years. I'm not getting that feel. It's a different feel ON CAMPUS, as far as the president's involvement. Trust me.

She looks really good. I hope she is independent. It seems that she is. I don't see anything that tells me she will not be very effective.

The addition of the West Coast teams and the cost of travel is going to be one of the first things she will have to grapple with. Non-revenue sports have gotten a free ride with the football program but I just can't see this continuing. Schools outside the Big Ten and the SEC will really be feeling the pinch soon. She will have to contend with this problem and secure the future of the Big three sports. I believe that we will see geographical divisions and just several trips a year outside the divisions but non-revenue sports solely regional until playoffs. The future AD has to be able to roll with the changes coming daily but think long-term for the future. That rules out a lot of people.

Latest posts