Bet you won't believe this Iowa football stat

Jon - I've begun to embrace your philosophy. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH OUR DEFENSE. Just about every one of our losses in the past few years can be explained by the lack of offensive production.

The narrative of the last few days really makes sense, our defenses are good, we throw the ball well on offense, but we do not run well enough.

Is the lack of run productivity due to the lack of a good OL or RB? I would argue no.

I believe it is because of our lack of creativity in running the football. We do not run any read options or fly sweeps and I'm not implying those plays are important, rather I mean to say that teams who run them are using all the tools available to gain rushing yards. Iowa on the other hand LACKS CREATIVITY IN THE GROUND GAME, and that needs to change!

Jon - I've begun to embrace your philosophy. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH OUR DEFENSE. Just about every one of our losses in the past few years can be explained by the lack of offensive production.

The narrative of the last few days really makes sense, our defenses are good, we throw the ball well on offense, but we do not run well enough.

Is the lack of run productivity due to the lack of a good OL or RB? I would argue no.

I believe it is because of our lack of creativity in running the football. We do not run any read options or fly sweeps and I'm not implying those plays are important, rather I mean to say that teams who run them are using all the tools available to gain rushing yards. Iowa on the other hand LACKS CREATIVITY IN THE GROUND GAME, and that needs to change!

so...you're saying that despite the constant criticism (much of it snide...as if I don't have a clue what i'm talking about) that I get for saying so... the way KFz manages the running game and running backs... SUCKS.

Yeah.

I submit this post to the committe for most most ambigious post of 2012.

You need to be more clear, like "Iowa Sucks at Running the Football". We all know what that means.
"best red zone conversion" . . .

"meaning, the lowest percentage of possessions which made it to the redzone which wound up being touchdowns."

There's only one way to take those two comments.

How could Iowa's offense have the best RZ conversion when it would have had the lowest percentage of RZ possession that were touchdowns?

And this is how politicians get elected. Look more closely at those 2011 stats.

Opponenets got into our redzone more than any other team in the conference. That's DEAD LAST.

And only two teams gave up more touchdowns in the redzone than we did. (Indiana and Minnesota). That's 10th place in the conference.

The percentage stat is deceiving. Here's another way of looking at those numbers:

In 2011, Iowa was 10th in the league at giving up touchdowns in the redzone. And here's an idea why...they let their opponents into the redzone more than any team in the conference.
This.

Oh, I believe the stat, but it's just not one of those stats to get excited about.

And this is how politicians get elected. Look more closely at those 2011 stats.

Opponenets got into our redzone more than any other team in the conference. That's DEAD LAST.

And only two teams gave up more touchdowns in the redzone than we did. (Indiana and Minnesota). That's 10th place in the conference.

The percentage stat is deceiving. Here's another way of looking at those numbers:

In 2011, Iowa was 10th in the league at giving up touchdowns in the redzone. And here's an idea why...they let their opponents into the redzone more than any team in the conference.

The truth shall set you free!!!!!

Latest posts