Bet you won't believe this Iowa football stat

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Over the last five years, Iowa has had the best defensive redzone touchdown conversion in the Big Ten on two occasions...meaning, the lowest percentage of possessions which made it to the redzone which wound up being touchdowns.

One of those years they were 4th and the other two years were 2nd..one of those years where they were 2nd? 2011.

Last edited:
Over the last five years, Iowa has had the best redzone touchdown conversion in the Big Ten on two occaions...meaning, the lowest percentage of possessions which made it to the redzone which wound up being touchdowns.

One of those years they were 4th and the other two years were 2nd..one of those years where they were 2nd? 2011.

That is defensive red zone percentage, right?

cfbstats.com - 2011 Big Ten Conference Team Leaders

I'm confused, we talking O or D? If it's D I do believe it. We do a great job in the redzone. We generate a lot of turn overs inside our own 20, which is why our D philosophy has made so much sense and worked so well.

Over the last five years, Iowa has had the best redzone touchdown conversion in the Big Ten on two occaions...meaning, the lowest percentage of possessions which made it to the redzone which wound up being touchdowns.

I submit this post to the committe for most most ambigious post of 2012.

You need to be more clear, like "Iowa Sucks at Running the Football". We all know what that means.

The TD% is a bit surprising but the sheer volume of red-zone possessions by opposing offenses was surprisingly high to me. Opponents had 57 red zone trips in 2011 against Iowa, putting Iowa dead last in that category. That was unsual as they were usually in the top 3 in terms of opponents red zone trips. In the last 5 years the number of red zone trips by opponents were:
2010: 43
2009: 29
2008: 29
2007: 38

Apparently Iowa just has a good red-zone defense regardless of the number of attempts their opponent gets.

The TD% is a bit surprising but the sheer volume of red-zone possessions by opposing offenses was surprisingly high to me. Opponents had 57 red zone trips in 2011 against Iowa, putting Iowa dead last in that category. That was unsual as they were usually in the top 3 in terms of opponents red zone trips. In the last 5 years the number of red zone trips by opponents were:
2010: 43
2009: 29
2008: 29
2007: 38

Apparently Iowa just has a good red-zone defense regardless of the number of attempts their opponent gets.

Yep. One stat doesn't tell the whole story.

I submit this post to the committe for most most ambigious post of 2012.

You need to be more clear, like "Iowa Sucks at Running the Football". We all know what that means.

Heres a friendly reminder. Be sure to follow through with the nomination, bub. Ya gotta go find the appropriate thread (the one JD didn't pin to the top of the OT) and nominate the damn thing. I gave up on the spreadsheet idea 5 minutes before I thought of it so I'm not tracking these. I'm not getting paid that much!

I clicked on the stats quickly, and thought if was offensive. This must be someone else's fault.

This stat broken down by quarter would be interesting because it seems like we've had about a dozen games in the last few years where we gave up late game touchdowns instead of field goals/turnovers.

And this is how politicians get elected. Look more closely at those 2011 stats.

Opponenets got into our redzone more than any other team in the conference. That's DEAD LAST.

And only two teams gave up more touchdowns in the redzone than we did. (Indiana and Minnesota). That's 10th place in the conference.

The percentage stat is deceiving. Here's another way of looking at those numbers:

In 2011, Iowa was 10th in the league at giving up touchdowns in the redzone. And here's an idea why...they let their opponents into the redzone more than any team in the conference.

Last edited:

Latest posts