Bet you Derby would be better LB than Morris...

ICbornNraised

I know everyone has been blowing Morris' horn, but I haven't seen it this year. I think he is a good player, just not an impact player...yet.

Leave Neilsen at the MLB, and move Morris outside. Give Derby some PT when he is ready.

Oh yeah, blast away.

I for one hope derby becomes the.biggest recruiting bust we have ever had.

That makes no sense. Why? because he made a mistake, you don't like him personally? I for one want him to be great, even if he is a db. It would be better if he is a good guy, but I don't really know, and I don't really care.

I know everyone has been blowing Morris' horn, but I haven't seen it this year. I think he is a good player, just not an impact player...yet.

Leave Neilsen at the MLB, and move Morris outside. Give Derby some PT when he is ready.

Oh yeah, blast away.
I never blew Morris' horn.:eek: Not that there's anything wrong with it.

How can you possibly know what kind of LB Derby is? That is just wild conjecture on your part.

I know everyone has been blowing Morris' horn, but I haven't seen it this year. I think he is a good player, just not an impact player...yet. Leave Neilsen at the MLB, and move Morris outside. Give Derby some PT when he is ready. Oh yeah, blast away.
I never blew Morris' horn.:eek: Not that there's anything wrong with it.How can you possibly know what kind of LB Derby is? That is just wild conjecture on your part.
That's not what I heard.

That makes no sense. Why? because he made a mistake, you don't like him personally? I for one want him to be great, even if he is a db. It would be better if he is a good guy, but I don't really know, and I don't really care.

Drew Tate was a grade a d-bag but I wanted him to win every game and still think he's the best quarterback of the Ferentz era.

Oh yeah, blast away.

Sure ... I will (blast away).

What precisely are you proposing? Move Morris over to the LEO spot ... the one LB spot that we is probably LEAST suited for?

Maybe instead move Kirksey over to LEO and then put Morris over at WILL? At least that makes some sense .... emphasis on SOME. This would work against spread teams ... where the LEO spot is stuck mostly in coverage anyhow. However, against teams where we really need to set the edge too ... Nielsen's combo of size and speed is simply too much of an asset at LEO.

Right now we don't have any EXPERIENCED guy who is a better fit at the LEO spot than Nielsen.

I think that might be part of the reason why many folks, CAARHawk and myself included, who are excited about Derby's potential at the LEO spot.

We'll see ....

Homer and I are definitely on the same page here.

The LB position is really interesting. While it looks like the Hawks don't have depth right now. It could actually be one of those spots where a good player ends up leaving again.

Alston, Morris, Derby, Kirksey, Hitchens are all guys that one could imagine being legit starters. Plus, guys like Poggi are still out there.

Wonder if there is any thought to using more 3/4? Would be interesting. Seems Morris has been most effective blitzing off the edge and in pass coverage.

Sure ... I will (blast away).

What precisely are you proposing? Move Morris over to the LEO spot ... the one LB spot that we is probably LEAST suited for?

Maybe instead move Kirksey over to LEO and then put Morris over at WILL? At least that makes some sense .... emphasis on SOME. This would work against spread teams ... where the LEO spot is stuck mostly in coverage anyhow. However, against teams where we really need to set the edge too ... Nielsen's combo of size and speed is simply too much of an asset at LEO.

Right now we don't have any EXPERIENCED guy who is a better fit at the LEO spot than Nielsen.

I think that might be part of the reason why many folks, CAARHawk and myself included, who are excited about Derby's potential at the LEO spot.

We'll see ....

Morris at WILL, Nielsen at MLB, Derby at LEO...Done. Insert Alston to MLB next year.

Gotta be Stanzi

Here's my argument for Tate over both Stanzi and Banks:

Banks had Iowa's best offensive line, best tight end, and best kicker ever. He also had either the best or second best WR group of the Ferentz era and the second best runningback group of the Ferentz era.

Stanzi had not one, not two, but three years with an elite defense. He also had the best runningback of the Ferentz era and had a top 5 Ferentz era WR group in both 2009 and 2010. Stanzi was also the benefit of three of the 5 best offensive lines of the Ferentz era.

Here's what Tate had going for him: one strong defense that helped him lead his team to 11 wins and #8 in the country, the weakest offensive lines since 2001, and the worst set of receivers of the Ferentz era.

The one year he had a good defense and his receivers didn't drop the ball like they were allergic to it, they went 11-2. Even that year his o-line wasn't great.

Homer and I are definitely on the same page here.

The LB position is really interesting. While it looks like the Hawks don't have depth right now. It could actually be one of those spots where a good player ends up leaving again.

Alston, Morris, Derby, Kirksey, Hitchens are all guys that one could imagine being legit starters. Plus, guys like Poggi are still out there.

Wonder if there is any thought to using more 3/4? Would be interesting. Seems Morris has been most effective blitzing off the edge and in pass coverage.

I don't know about that. Given the status of Iowa's DL in '12 and the fact that so many Big 10 teams are spread teams now ... we're using our 3-4 look more and more. We're obviously NOT going to move away from the 4-3 as our base set .... however, I do believe that we could use the 3-4 enough to keep A LOT of our LBs pretty satisfied.

Besides, Derby, Alston, Poggi, and DiBona each have the sort of body-type that they could potentially also transition over to DE. Given how short-handed we're going to be at DE in the very near future ... those guys could definitely have a shot to find a legit home there too. Alston himself explicitly stated that the coaches definitely thought that he could potentially grow into a DE.

Latest posts