Best young coaches in the country

iahawk20

Who are your top few? I am a huge Jay Wright fan, despite getting rolled yesterday I love what he has done at 'Nova.

Obviously you can look at other schools like Baylor and Missouri to see a few others, however, both seem to have some baggage as well.

Who tops your list?

I agree with Jay Wright. Another one within our own conference is Painter from Purdue.
I think Ben Jacobsen from UNI does a pretty good job. I also like the job Frank Martin has done at KSU.

when we hire a new coach here soon I want someone who has some time in.....I dont want the newest spur of the moment shiny name like we have gotten the last two times

I did not intend for this to be about who Iowa would or would not hire...simply what young coaches out there are really doing a good job in college hoops these days. I think we have enough threads about the Iowa situation :)

I did not intend for this to be about who Iowa would or would not hire...simply what young coaches out there are really doing a good job in college hoops these days. I think we have enough threads about the Iowa situation :)

Exactly!

Mark Turgeon at A&M. Scott Drew at Baylor (based on results only). Jacobsen at UNI. The guy at Wichita State (don't know his age however). Darrin Horn at South Carolina. Cuonzo Martin at Mo State. Stevens is doing a good job, but please God, NO.

Isn't it a stretch to call Wright a young coach? How long ago did they fire Rat Lappas?

Martin is a guy that intrigues me. Big Ten background as both player and assistant, and is getting it done at Mo. State. (But wait...excuse me, I just felt a wave of nausea when I realized that we had a coach from that school once before.)

I think Iowa will be forced to look at a young head coach or an assistant next time around, and I don't think that's a bad thing. It's gotten harder and harder to pry an experienced coach away from any high major school, and thanks to the last two hires Iowa is now a less attractive job than it was when the previous genius AD hired Lickliter's predecessor.

Last edited:
Not saying he's one of my "favorites", but what do you guys think about a guy like Stan Heath? I thought he won 20 games at Arkansas a few years back and was shown the door (I remember some controversy over that), and is getting S. Florida on track now after having only been there 2-3 years.

I live in Tampa (USF is local to the Tampa area) and they joined the Big East just a couple years ago, and the team was horrible at that point. But they are 15-8 this year after a close loss @ND today, but they recently won @Pitt (ranked #17) and @Georgetown (ranked #7).

Heath seems like a good coach flying under the radar, who is having a fairly solid year in the Big East after taking over a pretty lousy program.

steve alford. honestly if he never coached at Iowa before would you be interested in what he is doing at NM? Yes.

Except that's just it. He did coach at Iowa, and we saw what he can do at a major conference school. And it wasn't pretty. I don't think his team is going to have all that much success come March. If he'd never coached at Iowa, then we would be playing the "what if he had a major conference roster to work with?" game. But we already know the answer to that question. So no, I'm not very intrigued by what he's doing.

Josh Pastner from Memphis. He had a ridiculous class last year. He's at least getting great talent. Although Memphis isn't as good this year, they'll be great in a year or two. With that talent, I don't think you can lose that many games in conference USA :rolleyes:.

Josh Pastner from Memphis. He had a ridiculous class last year. He's at least getting great talent. Although Memphis isn't as good this year, they'll be great in a year or two. With that talent, I don't think you can lose that many games in conference USA :rolleyes:.

No, he has a ridiculous class coming in, he only signed 2 last year.

Next he has the #8, #11 and #12 recruits in the nation coming in, according to rivals.

Three of his seven 2010 signees are from Memphis (1 five-star and 2 four-stars). Why can't Iowa City produce talent like that? :D