Best upsets at Nationals ever

piperhawk

I am going to say the best upset I ever saw in person was Earl Walker from Boston knocking off Matt Linland in the first round...possibly the pigtail match can't remember

I know this did not happen at nationals, but my favorite Hawkeye wrestling experience was when Brooks Simpson pinned #1 and dominate Eric Voelker of ISU at 184 back in, Im gonna say 85, to beat ISU in Carver. That place has never gone from quiet to crazy so fast. And Brooks's dad rushing the mat to hug him!(classic)

I am going to say the best upset I ever saw in person was Earl Walker from Boston knocking off Matt Linland in the first round...possibly the pigtail match can't remember

I was there . it was huge at the time. I think it was a pig tail. Didn't he stick him!

It was just a major and Walker lost his next match knocking out Linland who was the #1 seed. hahaha huskers SUCK!

Nationals 1979. At Ames. Mike Land, senior, ranked #1 and returning national champion for ISU, beat in championship match by Daryl Burley (spelling?) of Lehigh, a freshman. I never heard so many people get so quiet so fast.

Land Burley was an upset at the time but looking back at the career that Burley had now that doesn't seem so bad. I do remember the Walker over Lindland match and that might be the biggest ever.

The whole NCAA tourney for Mark Branch as a freshman was a pretty big upset...

Caldwell beating Metcalf two years ago was one of the most stunning things I have witnessed as an Iowa fan with regards to the level of shock I felt after it was over.

not the biggest upset ever but an upset that comes to mind was Justin Greenlee beating Kerry McCoy in Iowa City.

i remember the crowd getting exited fired up for UNI beating PSU.

McCoy at the time was push some sort of consecutive win record at the time I believe

Last edited:
This certainly wasnt the biggest upset ever, as his opponent was tough as hell. But when Ed Banach got beat his junior year to Mark Schultz (in 1982 I think). It was a close match when the got in a body lock and SChultz came out on top. I was just a kid and loved the Banachs, so it really stuck with me... Right up til the point when Lincoln got beat and neither one won four.

Or how about Greg Jones winning the NCAAs his freshman, junior and senior years, but to the best of my knowledge, getting beat twice in a row to start the tourney his sophomore year to not even AA....

Caldwell beating Metcalf two years ago was one of the most stunning things I have witnessed as an Iowa fan with regards to the level of shock I felt after it was over.

I agree with you on this one! Caldwell/Metcalf final! I was stunned! When I returned to work here in North Carolina an NC State fan gave me a hard time about it.

Latest posts