Best time for a BYE week?

HawkWT

After a painful, ugly loss, I'm sure we all want to see the team back of the field performing up to their capabilities. But after a loss like that, I feel this is the perfect time for a BYE week. It's gut check time, and after that performance I can't imagine it will be a fun 2 weeks for the players (or coaches). I have a feeling playing a game in 2 weeks will be much easier than what they will endure prior.
If the coaching staff isn't having a gut check experience, something is seriously wrong. Davis is going to have to go into hiding with the things I have heard fans saying to him in public.

Yeah, I need two weeks to recover from the hangover from drinking away the thought of Iowa football.

Honestly, I don't think this is a good time at all for a bye week.

Two weeks of festering is not good.

I'm not sure what you expect these practices to be like. You are writing like it will be like Junction TX in 1954. They will be fairly normal, trying to clean up mistakes.

This bye week would be the best time to show Greg Davis the door. We can then give Brian Ferentz an audition for 6 games (assuming a bowl game) to see if he can be an OC at this level. If we don't like what we see, then we hire someone else. It really is the opportune time to make the switch. The offense can't really get any worse than it already is and we have an extra week for BF to adjust.
This seems like the only realistic thing we could do right now, because we all know firing Ferentz just isn't an option for Barta right now.

This bye week would be the best time to show Greg Davis the door. We can then give Brian Ferentz an audition for 6 games (assuming a bowl game) to see if he can be an OC at this level. If we don't like what we see, then we hire someone else. It really is the opportune time to make the switch. The offense can't really get any worse than it already is and we have an extra week for BF to adjust.
This seems like the only realistic thing we could do right now, because we all know firing Ferentz just isn't an option for Barta right now.

No. No Ferentz shall ever coach at Iowa again.

Brian is having enough problems coaching our sub-par offensive line. The last thing we need is for him to be offensive coordinator.

2 weeks to get CJ time with the 1st team offense. Perfect!...........wait, what, he's going to ride JR the rest of the year? Well then I guess it doesn't matter when the bye week is.

Let's at least use these 2 weeks to learn how to tackle again.

Brian is having enough problems coaching our sub-par offensive line. The last thing we need is for him to be offensive coordinator.

I agree. But we have to be realistic here. We all know there is a good chance BF is in line to be the OC soon whether we like it or not. Same with we know Kirk isn't going anywhere either like it or not. This would give him a chance to audition in what is already going to be a mediocre season and more of an opportunity for Barta to say no because he has something to go on. I don't see much downside to this happening this year. I do see a lot more downside to just giving him the job with nothing to go off of next year, which many including Jon have alluded to happening.

I'm not sure what you expect these practices to be like. You are writing like it will be like Junction TX in 1954. They will be fairly normal, trying to clean up mistakes.

I didn't play for a college team the size of Iowa, but I do know that when we lost a game in this fashion the practices the next week were closer to the Junction practices than any typical weekly practice. A lot of "back to the basics" tackling and 1 on 1 drills that this Defense and lineman desperately need, and a lot more running...
I hope the players and coaches are mad enough to step it up at practice. :mad:

I didn't play for a college team the size of Iowa, but I do know that when we lost a game in this fashion the practices the next week were closer to the Junction practices than any typical weekly practice. A lot of "back to the basics" tackling and 1 on 1 drills that this Defense and lineman desperately need, and a lot more running...
I hope the players and coaches are mad enough to step it up at practice. :mad:

[h=3]http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/football-practice-guidelines

Inseason practice guidelines:[/h]Inseason is defined as the period between six (6) days prior to the first regular-season game and the final regular-season game or conference championship game (for participating institutions). There may be no more than two (2) live contact practices per week.

Trust me when I say giving another Ferentz the helms would be the absolute worst case for this team.

So, have thud and tackling drills until they can't take it anymore. If they're running them in practice now, it's not showing on the field.

So, have thud and tackling drills until they can't take it anymore. If they're running them in practice now, it's not showing on the field.

Brah, our tackling drills prolly look great in practice. You seen how easy our offensive players go down?

Both NW and Iowa have two weeks to digest bad losses. Not good for the fan bases, but maybe ok for the coaches and players. It is going to be an eternity for most fans....stewing for a week about a bad loss is tough enough, but two weeks....we will have fans on these boards going suicidal by then as the rage refuses to fade....it will only get uglier.

While I hate this being a bye week I know Kirk couldn't be happier. The heat gets taken off him and the rabid fan base will slowly come around. I on the other hand wish like hell we were playing this week to see who Kirk is gonna start and what his ******** philosophy is gonna be this week. He has lost his way with most of us and the frustrating part is Barta won't touch it with a ten foot pole. It's the inmates running the asylum analogy with Kirk and Gary….

Latest posts