Best Streetballers to Play at Iowa?

MelroseHawkins

The Fly Williams thread prompted me to create this thread. Streetballers are a unique athlete. There are many streetballers that could perhaps have been some of the top players in NBA history but never went down the NBA or ABA path, some out of choice and some not, some who never survived the streets and others who got caught up in crime and addictions.

Many NCAA coaches viewed streetballers as a risk secondary to the environment they grew up in, poor academics, and other factors so many were not recruited. In addition, many players were looked at as "projects" as they weren't used to playing the "team" aspect ball and had difficulty adjusting to the team concept. There was the fine line of utilizing said players "streetball" skill in the team game. Could a coach curve a players style to the team game but also allow some of the player's street ball skills to show through? That would be the challenge for a college coach and play into the decision to recruit streetballers.

Some NCAA teams have had players with a streetball history. For instance, Jamal Tinsley had a streetball background and was a joy to watch play when he used some of his streetball skills. It worked out for Iowa State and he turned out to be a pretty good player and stayed out of trouble.

I was just curious. I think Connie Hawkins had the streetballer playing background but that never panned out at Iowa. Who has Iowa had on the team who had the "streetballer" playing background. Players from the inner city streets of New York, Chicago, Philly, etc.?

I would say B.J., Roy Sr. and Gerry Wright from years ago. Not sure about some of the more recent Hawks.
Maybe Mel Basabe and Bryce Cartwright.

Al McGuire called Kenny Arnold a street player. Lute got really mad. Ricky D was one. Probably Kingsbury. For sure Reggie Evans. Depending on the definition....Well actually Little Lick. Other than that I don't agree much with above listed.

Did come up with another one.....Todd Birkenpas.

Please indulge me for a quick sidetrack. There were a LOT of street-ballers that found their way onto Bob Ortegal's teams at Drake. Including Lewis Lloyd, the very archetype of street ball.

Only 1/2 credit for Hawkins, since I don't think he ever actually played in a game for Iowa.

In a sense...that reinforces the point. I have the book "Foul", which is about Hawkins. Interesting and somewhat disheartening story about a freakish talent.

In a sense...that reinforces the point. I have the book "Foul", which is about Hawkins. Interesting and somewhat disheartening story about a freakish talent.
Yep, I read that one too (a long time ago). Depressing for Hawkins on how he was treated. And depressing for Iowa fans on what could have been.

I can remember watching him play for the Suns. He could jump out of the gym (even as an older player) and his dunks and finger rolls were great because of his extremely large hands.

Having grown up down the street from Slick Rick I'd have to say his street ball skills were legendary. Davenport isn't NYC or Chicago, but there are plenty of street ballers there. He could've put together a highlight reel in dunks and top tier stats at Iowa if he hadn't been a one-n-done.

skip ahead to #1 to see Nash eat a foot.

To me the obvious choice is Reggie Evans. He was a man among boys. I think he got an award for being named the dirtiest player in the NBA.

I would say B.J., Roy Sr. and Gerry Wright from years ago. Not sure about some of the more recent Hawks.
Maybe Mel Basabe and Bryce Cartwright.
I played pickup games with Gerry Wright on the courts behind Daum, years ago. Great player and a great guy! Shit.... I'm old :-(

Latest posts