Best sports rides you have been on

CP87

This has been an amazing ride, which got me thinking, what have been the best sports rides I have ever been on. Here is my list:

1) 1991 MN Twins
2) 1998 MN Vikings (15-1, and Moss as a rookie...I can't remember how that season finished up, I assume they won the SB)
3) The Brett Favre season with the Vikings (I think they won the SB that year, too)

Several with the Dallas Cowboys. They were 5 and 5 the year I hit Dallas (their best year ever) and went on to be a top team. Every where I move wins a super bowl and then drops off. Dallas, Pittsburgh, Chicago.

I should add 2015 Iowa football. We all knew they likely weren't a top-4 team in the nation, but winning week after week after week is exhilarating in CFB.

As with my Viking's references above, I can't exactly recall how the season finished, but I am sure it was good.

3 (tie)-Iowa Rose Bowl/BCS/etc. years.
3 (tie)-Cardinals World Series. 1982. I was 11. Prime formative baseball years. 2006, because I went to them.
2 (tie)-McGwire home run race. Because it was so extended. And towards the end, you did not miss an at-bat. It was all people talked around here. And a lot of other places too. I was in DSM when it happened. Working in sports radio.
2 (tie)-Blues Stanley Cup. Only gets the edge over the Cardinals because it took until I was 50. And again, it was so extended. The playoffs take weeks. It's all people were talking about. Cardinals stuff, is in the fabric of this town, so it takes more than a World Series run for people to be noticeably extra engrossed by them.

Those are a distant second.

1-Kurt Warner and the Rams Super Bowl. Such a story. I mean, the guy is exactly who he's portrayed/depicted/described. My wife is UNI grad. Kurt was very kind to me and gracious when I worked in sports radio in DSM. And the season just kept getting more and more fairytale every damn week.

.5-I'm going with Caitlin Clark and the Iowa Hawkeyes surpassing Warner. Only because I care about "Iowa sports" more than I cared about the Rams, even before they left. Yes, I'm a newcomer to basketball. Men's or womens. Call me fairweather. Fair enough. I'm not alone here. This is something I will tell my grandkids about. Last year was the closest to a championship in a major sport any Iowa team has come since I've been a fan. If they somehow win it this year? I dunno. The only way to top it would be if one of my grandkids (if I ever get any) made it to the Olympics or something.

Honorable mentions:
Being they're Olympic related, they're just so narrowed down to almost a pinpoint in time, as opposed to spanning a whole season. Or even 'years' in the case of Clark and the Hawks.

-The Miracle on Ice
-Dan Jansen winning unexpected gold. I was so crushed for him after his falls. My brother was a speed skater, so we paid a little closer attention to that whole thing.

Last edited:
3 (tie)-Iowa Rose Bowl/BCS/etc. years.
3 (tie)-Cardinals World Series. 1982. I was 11. Prime formative baseball years. 2006, because I went to them.
2 (tie)-McGwire home run race. Because it was so extended. And towards the end, you did not miss an at-bat. It was all people talked around here. And a lot of other places too,.
2 (tie)-Blues Stanley Cup. Only gets the edge over the Cardinals because it took until I was 50. And again, it was so extended. The playoffs take weeks. It's all people were talking about. Cardinals stuff, is in the fabric of this town, so it takes more than a World Series run for people to be noticeably extra engrossed by them.

Those are a distant second.

1-Kurt Warner and the Rams Super Bowl. Such a story. I mean, the guy is exactly who he's portrayed/depicted/described. My wife is UNI grad. Kurt was very kind to me and gracious when I worked in sports radio in DSM. And the season just kept getting more and more fairytale every damn week.

.5-I'm going with Caitlin Clark and the Iowa Hawkeyes surpassing Warner. Only because I care about "Iowa sports" more than I cared about the Rams, even before they left. Yes, I'm a newcomer to basketball. Men's or womens. Call me fairweather. Fair enough. I'm not alone here. This is something I will tell my grandkids about. If they somehow win it? I dunno. The only way to top it would be if one of my grandkids (if I ever get any) made it to the Olympics or something.

I would have included the '87 Twins, but I was just getting into following baseball at that time (10 years old). I never played baseball, but my Grampa always had the games on the radio, and the '87 run is what got me hooked. To be lucky enough to go through it again 4 years later once I was completely invested was amazing. I have never had as big of a sports high as, "We'll see you tomorrow night!" I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

Surprisingly, I don't think I ever heard the John Gordon:

I spent a lot of time with Gordon and Carneal during the summers of my early teens.

I would have included the '87 Twins, but I was just getting into following baseball at that time (10 years old). I never played BB, but my Grampa always had the games on the radio, and the '87 run is what got me hooked. To be lucky enough to go through it again 4 years later once I was completely invested was amazing. I have never had as big of a sports high as, "We'll see you tomorrow night!" I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

Surprisingly, I don't think I ever heard the John Gordon:

I spent a lot of time with Gordon and Carneal during the summers of my early teens.

HAH! I wouldn't include the '87 Twins. Cause, you know.
I just went and read about that Series. Memory has gotten kinda hazy. If you would have told me that went 7 games, I wouldn't have believed you. I just recall it as the Twins outright trouncing the Cardinals. And then we traded for Brunansky the following year. And he sucked for the Redbirds.

'85 World Series didn't go so well for me either. Thanks to a horrid call by and Iowan who was umping at first base.

HAH! I wouldn't include the '87 Twins. Cause, you know.
I just went and read about that Series. Memory has gotten kinda hazy. If you would have told me that went 7 games, I wouldn't have believed you. I just recall it as the Twins outright trouncing the Cardinals. And then we traded for Brunansky the following year. And he sucked for the Redbirds.

'85 World Series didn't go so well for me either. Thanks to a horrid call by and Iowan who was umping at first base.

I remember almost nothing from it, other than thinking Ozzie Smith seemed like possibly the coolest man alive, and that the Twins won.

2016 Cubs

I had been out on baseball at that point. That run sucked me back in briefly.

1980 Iowa men's basketball run to the final 4.

Lute Olsen the coach. The players were Ronnie Lester and the fabulous few. Lester was out half the regular season hurt. Iowa had so many injured players, they were dubbed the fabulous few, a play on the name of the 1950's Iowa team called the Fabulous 5.

Iowa came back from down 14 in the elite 8 game to win 81-80. Lester got injured again in the final 4 game and lost by 8.

Latest posts