Best Moment in Hawkeye Football History?

Wegher's 32 yard run in the Orange Bowl to seal the deal v. Ga Tech was awful good.

Iowa's blockers just obliterated the entire Tech defense on that play.

Awesome win

My personal favorite moment witnessed occured right before halftime at the Iowa vs. ISU game, not sure of the year but the venue was Jack Trice Stadium, and Tim Dwight dove and stretched the entire length of his body to make an AWESOME TD catch near the back of the end zone line with just a few seconds left on the clock to totally deflate ISU going into the locker room in a game that ended up being an embarrassing I think 63-20 drubbing at the hands of the Hawks toward the end of Hayden's coaching career.

Another was the first time we beat Penn State at Happy Valley shortly after they joined the Big Ten. That game was pivitol in making that a meaningful rivalry game. Also was toward the end of Hayden's career coaching the Hawks.

My birthday a couple years ago when Shonn Greene went off for I believe 3 TD's and 217 yds. vs. Wisconsin at Kinnick, and we won like 42-10. That was an AWESOME performance, and soooo satisfying watching Bielema sulk.

These are a few of my favorite Hawkeye memories.

Also the year we beat Nebraska at Kinnick when nobody expected it.

Being in the bowels of the Metrodome watching Floyd of Rosedale being loaded onto the Hawkeye semi after another satisfying win against the Gophers.

Getting Bob Sanders to autograph my Outback Bowl football the year the Hawks won their first Outback Bowl.

I could go on, but these are my shining Hawkeye moments.

Last edited:
Two of my favorite plays that I've seen in person were in 2008. Shonn Greene gave me both of them against Wisconsin. The first was his run where he juked, spun, and high-stepped out of two tackles along the sideline and scoring. The other was the breakaway right up the gut. I actually called that one from my seat.

I saw the safety come up for the blitz, looked at my neighbor and said: if Greene hits that hole, he's gone. Once I saw Greene get the handoff going to his right, I immediately screamed "TOUCHDOWN IOWA!!!!!". And I was happy to see him scamper right through the hole left by the safety to the endzone :)

The original "the kick". Rob Houghtlin through the up rights to seal the deal for a win of epic proportions. There is nothing like the feeling of being #1 in the country and beating #2 Michigan on your home field in front of a nationally televised audience. I will never forget that day as long as I live.

Honorable mention: Tate to Hollaway, the kick part deaux vs.Penn State in 08, and Stanzi to McNutt vs MSU.

Here's a few

'85 the kick over Michigan (i was there and it was great)
Tate to Holloway (great finish)
McNutt against MSU
clayborne punt return again PSU
Ping Pong TD against Ind by Sash
and this last one maybe strange but
two blocked FGs against UNI (set the stage for a special season)

Best moment for me was not a particular play, but the end of the MSU game in '81 when the Hawks clinched the Rose Bowl. Those who followed Iowa football thru the 60's and 70's never thought the Hawks could possibly return to Pasadena - it was literally a dream come true. Kinnick that afternoon was unreal, and the celebration continued all night in Iowa City. God Bless Hayden.

Hawkeyes fans storming the field in Minnesota in 2002 congratulating players, coaches, and causing complete destruction. Both FG posts got torn down and taken apart. One was being hauled up the steps and out of the stadium. Hawkeyes team banners were all taken. The sirens were going off (as if that was gonna stop everyone). Complete pandimonium in the road team's stadium. I think this was the ultimate check out deez nuts by any fan base in american sports history. Nothing is even close.

Hawkeyes fans storming the field in Minnesota in 2002 congratulating players, coaches, and causing complete destruction. Both FG posts got torn down and taken apart. One was being hauled up the steps and out of the stadium. Hawkeyes team banners were all taken. The sirens were going off (as if that was gonna stop everyone). Complete pandimonium in the road team's stadium. I think this was the ultimate check out deez nuts by any fan base in american sports history. Nothing is even close.

The goalpost never made it out of the Dome. Domes have to have revolving doors, otherwise it would lose pressure and deflate. Ever try getting a 30' pole through a revolving door? ;)

Latest posts