Best Moment in Hawkeye Football History

tm3308

What's everybody's favorite moment? It doesn't have to be anything you necessarily saw, could be the Rose Bowl wins under Evy, Nile Kinnick's Heisman speech, The Catch, '85 Michigan, anything. Just curious as to what people think is the biggest/coolest/favorite/etc. moment/game/play in Iowa Football history.

My personal choice would probably be Tavian Banks' record day against Tulsa in '97, just as my favorite. That was not only a good piece of history, but it was also my first trip to Kinnick at age 7, and I still have the tiny Tim Dwight jersey that my dad got me at the Hawk Shop that day.

What's everybody's favorite moment? It doesn't have to be anything you necessarily saw, could be the Rose Bowl wins under Evy, Nile Kinnick's Heisman speech, The Catch, '85 Michigan, anything. Just curious as to what people think is the biggest/coolest/favorite/etc. moment/game/play in Iowa Football history.

My personal choice would probably be Tavian Banks' record day against Tulsa in '97, just as my favorite. That was not only a good piece of history, but it was also my first trip to Kinnick at age 7, and I still have the tiny Tim Dwight jersey that my dad got me at the Hawk Shop that day.

In modern history, it would have to be the hiring of Hayden Fry, and his subsequent hiring of Kirk Ferentz. All other moments pale.

My bad, I already know I posted this on the basketball forum lol. I've been flipping back and forth so much recently that I didn't even pay attention to which one I was on.

Hey, did you know you posted this in the... Never mind.

There are so very many to choose, but my personal favorite had to be in Minnesota in '96 when Sedrick Shaw set the all-time rushing record. The crowd was insane to say the least. After the game we were maybe 20 yards from where he was being interviewed, and the thousand or so Iowa fans in that general area were yelling his name and screaming like crazy. My cousin and I wanted a little attention so I shouted "Sedrick!" as loud as I could. He broke from the interview, looked right at us and smiled, and walked toward us. He took off one of his gloves and threw it to us. My cousin caught it and screamed like a little girl. I remember a very large man telling him to give him the glove or he'd kick his ***. I politely stepped in between and said "if anybody's kicking his *** for that glove, it's gonna be me". I don't know if it finally dawned on him that we were all Hawkeye fans, or if he was impressed by my balls, but he smiled and gave me a hug and said "go Hawks" as he walked away.

Side note: it snowed about a foot while we were inside the dome and we somehow ended up doing donuts in the street outside the Mall of America. Great night all around.

My bad, I already know I posted this on the basketball forum lol. I've been flipping back and forth so much recently that I didn't even pay attention to which one I was on.

I was going to say my favorite mlment was when Brennen Cougill made first team All B10 as a left tackle- but that was another thread entirely....:)

In my lifetime there were a lot of memorable moments....the upset of Penn State in '76(?), Iowa beating Nebraska, UCLA, and Michigan in 1981 and the win over Michigan State to clinch the Rose Bowl...Chuck Long's bootleg...Tim Dwight..."The Catch" (both Clark and Holloway).....

But for pure unadulterated excitement I have to go with Brandon Wegher's TD run to clinch the Orange Bowl.

Why that moment? I guess because it was a win in a BCS game...the "biggest" game Iowa had won since the '59 Rose Bowl. I was only 3 mos. old then so I have no memory of it.

The Rob Houghtlin field goal to beat Michigan in 1985...#1 vs #2 on a National stage. Hard to top that for a defining moment.

Kinnick has never been more electric.

In person, Bob Sanders body slamming Charles Rogers or knocking his helmet off later in the game and going to Ames this year to watch the Hawks humiliate the clones in front of their own crowd. On TV Tate to Halloway in the Cap One Bowl. (Yes im young and dont have many memories prior KF era. Obviously ive heard about them but thats it)

EDIT: Forgot to mention when Iowa fans were taking down the goal posts in Minnie a few years back.

In person, Bob Sanders body slamming Charles Rogers or knocking his helmet off later in the game and going to Ames this year to watch the Hawks humiliate the clones in front of their own crowd. On TV Tate to Halloway in the Cap One Bowl. (Yes im young and dont have many memories prior KF era. Obviously ive heard about them but thats it)

EDIT: Forgot to mention when Iowa fans were taking down the goal posts in Minnie a few years back.

These are good but gotta go with Houghtlin's FG in the matchup of 1 v 2. Ranking up there is McNutt's catch on the goal line last year in East Lansing.

These are good but gotta go with Houghtlin's FG in the matchup of 1 v 2. Ranking up there is McNutt's catch on the goal line last year in East Lansing.
Wasnt alive for Houghtlins boot(have seen it though and it would have been great to see live or in person), and after reading through im always forgetting ones like MSU last year, i think the ones i stated just stick out the most to me.

Iowa vs Mich 2002 Big House Homecoming beatdown
Iowa vs OSU 2004 Many years of frustration released
Iowa vs Wis 2004 Last night before Kinnick was renovated Big Ten Champs... so so loud that night

Iowa vs PSU 2008 Saw it coming even though many thought we had little chance...

My 5 year old step son calls Back in Black "The Hawkeye Song" Goosebumps every time.

I would say top 3 in recent history have to be 1) Michigan 85 2) Stanzi to McNutt 3) Tate to Holloway

But for me, my best moments were 1) PSU 08 2) kickoff return against USC.

My two fondest memories though are my first away game and first home game. Home game was against IL late 80's or early 90's. IL was ranked and we beat em on homecoming weekend and tore down the goalposts. At the time I thought tearing down the goalposts was only after huge victories. The away game was MN, lots of good players on that team - if memory serves Banks, Shaw and Timmy D what made it memorable though was the gorilla guy running the length of the field in the 4th. We picked that guy out from our seats at the beginning of the game then saw him getting close to the railing when he rushed the field. A few years agao I bught a Hawkeye memory book for my dad and read it and it had a chapter on the gorilla guy.

I skipped a bunch great memories but thats just shows you why its great to be a Hawkeye!

Iowa vs Mich 2002 Big House Homecoming beatdown
That was pretty nice as well. I was flying to D.C. the day after and had an hour layover in Detroit. Without even thinking, I put on a Hawkeye shirt that morning and had the Gazette's sports page in hand while walking through the airport. One guy came to ask me for directions, and in mid-sentence, said "never mind" and walked away when he noticed my shirt.

there are a lot of great one's but mine would be when we beat michigan this year and winning the orange bowl. the reason i picked the michigan game was because i brought a couple of my buddies that are michigan fans so it was pretty sweet to sing "in heaven there is no beer" right in there faces

I gotta go with AC's punt block and TD return against PSU. Everytime I watch that clip, it gives me goosebumps.

The young man prayed for strength and direction, IIRC.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQqfrbuAgvY]YouTube - Hawkeye Football ? 1985 #2 Michigan vs #1 Iowa[/ame]

One of my favorite moments was the Minnesota game in 2005. Ed Hinkel comes back from his broken arm and grabs 7 rec 151 yds and 4 TDs. I'll never forget that game because the Friday night before, all sorts of Minny fans were at Old Chicago where I was having dinner w/ my family and they started a "let's go Gophers" chant! Well they got theirs.

Latest posts