Best 'Hawkeye' bar in Chicago this Sat.

hawk3y3

Myself and several other colleges (All big Hawkeye fans from the DBQ area) will be staying at the Palmer House Hotel-'17 East Monroe' this weekend--Where's the best place to watch the game w/ other great "9-0 Iowa Hawkeye" fans?

About three and a half hours to the west of Chicago in Kinnick Stadium. But if you must stay in Chicago, I like Merkle's.

Heh, I was at Merkle's on Sunday night before Labor Day (Cubs/Dodgers). I asked both bartenders if they were Hawk fans since there were Hawk flags all over the place. I got a resounding "NO" from both of them.
I had to assume the fans make the Hawk atmosphere, not the staff :) That was definitely validated a few years ago after the Iowa/N. Illinois game at Soldier.

John Barleycorn in Wrigleyville, right next to The Cubbie Bear is great too. Although it's even better when the Cubs are still playing.

I had someone try to tell that 'Sedgewicks' (sp?) was good--any thoughts?

bucket would know this one, but I am pretty sure Sedgwick's switched to an Illini bar when the Illini had their miracle season 2 years ago. I wonder how that one is working out for them.

Heh, I was at Merkle's on Sunday night before Labor Day (Cubs/Dodgers). I asked both bartenders if they were Hawk fans since there were Hawk flags all over the place. I got a resounding "NO" from both of them.
I had to assume the fans make the Hawk atmosphere, not the staff :) That was definitely validated a few years ago after the Iowa/N. Illinois game at Soldier.

It gets packed with Hawk fans, they play the fight song after TDs, have good specials. I don't know what more you could ask for.

I'm in chicago for the next 5 weeks. anyone know where Jefferson Park is and where a close hawkeye bar is?

Yeah, I think Sedgewick's did go Orange. Four Shadows is also a good Hawk bar.

Jefferson Park? Heh. Way north/northwest - closer to O'Hare, really. Your best bet is still to go down to Wrigleyville to Merkle's, or a few blocks further to Four Shadows. Jeff Park isn't a bad neighborhood by any means (I observed at an elementary there - it was nice), I just can't imagine there'd be any Hawkeye bars up there.

Sopo is also a Hawkeye bar now too, apparently, but I hate that place.

There are a couple Lincoln Park spots too... McDunna's or something. I don't really know - I've never been. I just always go to Merkle's if I go to a bar to watch.

Google

Merkle's, John Barleycorn (Wrigleyville), Four Shadows, Sopo. NOT Sedgwick's. I included the google search for Merkle's, you can probably do a similar search for the details of the other bars.

Merkle's is the official Chicago I-Club spot, small, might smell funny. Barleycorn is probably 15-20x larger than Merkle's, usually no seating left downstairs by kickoff ($25 all you can drink and eat during the game). Four Shadows is smaller than Merkle's, older Iowa corwd, great halftime raffle, $4 "big" beers. Sopo, they just jumped on the undefeated bandwagon, not sure on the deal, but its a small place as well. As with most things Iowa, you can't go wrong no matter where you go! Go Hawks!

Chicago I-Club Gamewatch

Jon - Maybe we can get a thread/board that includes local game watches in cities across the country. People from those cities can give the details and short review(s). This seems to come up all the time; what's the best place in Chicago, West Des Moines, Seattle, NYC, LA and on and on, hell its even discussed a dozen times a year in regards to Iowa City.

Go Hawks!

Where is Sopo located?
I like out near jeff park.
Four Shadows is the closest..
Merkles and Barleycorn are frenzied.

So I got to Jefferson Park last night when it was dark. So this is my first day out here, This is a really nice neighborhood. I like it here, plus its a really really nice day, to bad im locked up in recording studio!

Sopo is on Southport across the street from the Brown Line stop. It sucks. I'd never seen Hawkeye flags out front until about week 5 of this season.

Latest posts